One hell of a liquid cooling rig!

Heres some realy liquid cooling and yes this system was up, running and playing games.
120498217.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
wireframe said:
Finally! A portable water-cooled computer!

BTW, what are we supposed to be looking at in the original link? It's an index with lots of stuff.

Those coolers don't use water lol. They usually use liquid propane, ethelyne and others. Some people use CO2, but that has a tendancy to freeze (dry ice). They are triple stage refrigeration units for use with PCs, and as I said they all probably get at least to -100C. I stress the negative sign there! They are so much better then liquid water cooling, it's ridiculous!

DudeMiester said:
Those coolers don't use water lol. They usually use liquid propane, ethelyne and others. Some people use CO2, but that has a tendancy to freeze (dry ice). They are triple stage refrigeration units for use with PCs, and as I said they all probably get at least to -100C. I stress the negative sign there! They are so much better then liquid water cooling, it's ridiculous!

I can't explain it, but I am often tempted to make a rig just for weird cooling experiments. The only reason I never get around to it is because I figure that the components themsevles would be holding me back - there is only so much cooling can do - and I don't want to go on a component hunt.

There is something romantic about taking taking super large scale integration, black-box technology and hooking up some ancient and preferrably thunderous device to it. It needs all the gauges and valves, much like a locomotive. An alarm in the form of a bell with a pull-rope is a definite bonus. Like something out of a mad scientist movie. Probably something to do with time travel. heh.

But see "better than water cooling" is somewhat subjective. Some people actually want to use the computer in question and not just freeze it solid. (Not saying it isn't solid to begin with...well, you get the idea ;))

If you insulate properly, you wont freeze it sold. Any of those coolers I posted could run 24/7 if they are setup properly, but it will use a huge amount of power. They use something like 2500W. Instead for the average user you can use a single stage that will get you -40C, will run 24/7, uses like 300W, and can be bought pre-built for a few hundred dollars. It'll still blow the doors of any water cooling setup, but it will cost about 2x as much.

However you can build one much cheaper if you can get the necessary equipment, like if there's a machine shop or HVAC store nearby. All the info you need to know you can find here, in some form or another: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/ Look in the vapor and phase change cooling forum.

So without requiring a second case for a cooling rig.....what would be the best cooling rig to get? I am not talking about the refrigeration units btw.

suryad said:
The Prometias are very cool in both senses of the word. Unfortunately they are discontinued and the company is no more. That is, unless someone picked up their tech and keep selling it.

I dunno about using something like that though. It's probably the best you can get for a computer you actually use. It's compact and looks nice. However, if I were to pick up some gear I'd want something totally outlandish, just for "testing". You know, super cool somethign for a while and see if you can break some 3DMark record or something. Could be fun. Unfortunately I don't have a basement :p

Dudemeister are you sure about what you wrote?

AS you said CO2 is dry ice, and it sublimes, it doesn't melt into liquid. To make liquid CO2 requires very high pressure around 800psi, that seems a bit over the top, but maybe they do I don't know it just seems weird and wasteful.

That is a nice liquid cooled computer IMO here and here

I'm sure, because they arn't melting dry ice, they are condensing gasous CO2 straight to liquid, but sometimes it freezes if you don't tune the cooler just right. Of course, if it freezes it can clog and cause damage to the cooler. That's why not that many people use it.

Also, the prometias have been picked up by another company as the XBitLabs review describes. That's a very recent review you know. Although, the coolers I posted earlier are much more powerful then the Mach II GT. :LOL: I know people who use those level of coolers can get 4Ghz A64 with a good chip, but not terribly stable.

If you read the article it says Prometias were being bought by another Danish company I belive and they are back....so thats great news!

DudeMiester said:
Also, the prometias have been picked up by another company as the XBitLabs review describes. That's a very recent review you know. Although, the coolers I posted earlier are much more powerful then the Mach II GT. :LOL: I know people who use those level of coolers can get 4Ghz A64 with a good chip, but not terribly stable.

Woops! I read the date and figured it must mean 12th of February. For some reason I was under the impression that nVentiv went under before the product really got rolling again. My mistake...and good news!

EDIT: Some (actual) reading reveals I was partially right. Ok, so nVentiv did go under, but basically the same people are now back under the name ECT (Extreme Cooling Technologies). Let's hope it lasts this time or maybe they still haven't found that perfect name ;).

Back