OMG HHGG the movie teaser horrible!!

I care about it, I just didn't connect "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" with HHGG right away.

I liked the music in the trailer and look forward to the movie. :)

The only thing I was dissapointed about was the fact that the trailer didn't show any of the movie. Other than that I'm definitely anxiously awaiting more info.

what can you possibly tell about the movie from that trailer?

I'm torn between thinking it's a normal teaser and thinking the movie is going to blow and thinking it's a parody of blockbuster movie teasers. we'll see.

The Baron said:
what can you possibly tell about the movie from that trailer?

I'm torn between thinking it's a normal teaser and thinking the movie is going to blow and thinking it's a parody of blockbuster movie teasers. we'll see.
Exactly, basically what I got out of the trailer is that there is a Hitchhiker movie coming out. :)

Bigname will-flop movies always have crappy teasers, AvP, Starwars etc. Teasers is just wanking on the great franchise. I hate them.

I also hate the tagline: "Don't panic!, but I like the plot outline.

I wonder how well they can get the text to translate to the screen.
My limited catalog of things used to express ideas in film doesn't include anything that can encompass a lot of the absurdity captured by the book.

What exactly can get across something like the line:

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

or

"For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."

How are they going to get across the great multitude of uses for a towel, or the horrors of the worst poetry in the universe?

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

"For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen."

I don't know what this thread is about at all, but these quotes really made me feel interested... :D

We're discussing the trailer to a movie adaptation of the very good book Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Douglas Adams had a very quirky writing style that captured a gloriously absurd universe.

I'm uncertain how well a movie can compress much of the book into a viewable format without losing much of what makes it interesting.

3dilettante, I also take it that you've not been privvy to the the BBC Radio or TV series? (In fact the book came from the first radio series first, IIRC). The book was narrated throughout and was accompanied by lots of drawing and sketches in the TV series. For most Brits, this is what the movie will be compared against and inevitably fall short of.

I'm afraid I've only had the pleasure of reading the book.

I don't think I've heard much about the radio and television series.

If the television series was able to capture the story, then there is at least a way to express HHGG in a visual format, given enough time.

You are probably right about measuring up to the previous standards: a movie with its own set of pacing and time restrictions would probably lose too much.

The original radio series rocked.
The books were pretty reasonable (the first two anyway).
The TV series sucked.
The third radio series sucked too.
The film *will* suck by definition.

(Not that I'm picky or anything :D)

Sorry, but HHGG was a mood thing at the moment, the humour doesn't translate. Adams was a sketch writer with a few good ideas, he wasn't a novelist.

Rehashes and remakes of old favourites really upset me, as do series that get stretched out beyond their natural end (which for comedies can reasonably be defined as when they run out of funny things to say).

I liked the original radio series and the TV series. I think the humor is timeless and translates well. I mean, who can't get a chuckle from Zaphod entering the Total Perspective Vortex torture device. :)

DaveBaumann said:
3dilettante, I also take it that you've not been privvy to the the BBC Radio or TV series? (In fact the book came from the first radio series first, IIRC). The book was narrated throughout and was accompanied by lots of drawing and sketches in the TV series. For most Brits, this is what the movie will be compared against and inevitably fall short of.

not nesc, one of the issues of the TV compared to radio was that they couldnt afford many effects on the tv budget ... whereas on the radio the SFX (thats sound) people made the show .. .

personaly i quite like the head drooping marvin, and the internals for the heart-of-gold,, *much* closer to the scale than the tv show . ...
-dave-

and magrathea might NOT look like "some quarry in dorset perviously used for blakes-7 and doctor who" ;)

fwiw
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/

To me, Sam Rockwell as Zaphod is an excellent choice. I just hope they make Zaphod's two heads work better than the dork in MIB2.

I've read the books, and liked them a lot.
Last summer I borrowed the TV series on DVD from a friend, and it was truly horrible. When I brought back the DVD to him and said that it was rather bad, he was quite surprised that I actually watched all of it. He had watched half an hour, and couldn't stand it anymore.

So the new movie can at least not be worse than that. :D

Back