OMG HARDOCP REVIEW OF UT2003 AND FILTERING

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by bloodbob, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Ummm, settle down Beavis. I've read every statement in this thread thank you. You're the one that first started posting here saying things other than what anybody here had read before. So your view is the dissenting one, not ours. Anyway, re-read my post. I was looking for "official" proof other than the forums. So not just from the front page, but also from editiorials, articles, reviews or previews. I understood that your proof was from threads on their forums, but I wasn't interested in that. If you don't have any other proof then fine, but at least state it as so.

Kind regards,

Tommy McClain

2. Atomahawk

Newcomer

Here is another good read for you Blackwind and read the whole thread, and remember the subject, they apperently had a nice candid chat with Nvidia, purposely to address the topic of 3D mark 03 as they say. So unless you want to continue putting words in Kyles mouth you may want to just drop the point and say [H] never admitted Nvidia did anything wrong and Nvidia never admitted to doing anything wrong. I remember that thread VERY well because that's the one that got me banned. Because of what? Because he didn't like the fact that I asked him why they went their for that particular reason and came back with 3 slides that say nothing about the fact and a clear statement from Nvidia about it.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=1659eb274993508bd442df2b4880226c&threadid=642149

3. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

It's been tried. All that happens is that people get insulted publicly and banned from making any comments at [H]. Kyle doesn't want any assisting, even though it's been offered by the very people Brent came to learn from.

4. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Have you not been following all of the assistance that Dave was offering to [h]? Which of course just went ignored for the most part, followed later by banishments, etc.

You can't assist someone that doesn't want assisting.

5. Blackwind

Newcomer

How is one supposed to supply proof that something wasn't said? By having on record every statement made. If you do not then you can not prove your claim. I in the same vein apparently need to supply all the statements for you. That takes time. It would be stupid of you to believe otherwise.

6. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Heheh....yeah, that's a good one. :D

Oh wiat....you're serious? :shock:

No, you do not need to supply all the statements for me. Just one.

Here's my proof to you.

www.hardocp.com. Ther's the record of everything that was said.

It's all there...or the lack of it.

7. Blackwind

Newcomer

You do realize Kyle and Brent are two differant people right? I can not speak for either. I can only suggest you get in touch with them. Brent would be easier seeing he reads here. :D

hehe. Read it? You apparently have not. You have noticed I've already posted several times right? I've been following it since it began.

8. Forbidden Donut

Newcomer

Ok then, here is my proof:
    link 1
    link 2

Having sifted through everything contained in both links, I can assure you that nowhere in their does [H] say that NVidia was cheating in 3dmark or that NVidia cheating in 3dmark was wrong.

Your turn.

9. Forbidden Donut

Newcomer

Poo. Joe beat me to it...now my post looks all old and dated :cry:

10. WaltC

Veteran

BelleVue Sanatorium, Billary, NY. Patient privile
    What is so unbelievable about this is the level of contradiction.

First he says "If you want to compare the Quack situation to this, which is in no way apples to apples, so be it." OK, so if it's not the same thing why did Kyle himself describe the 3DMK03 scandal on the front page of [H] as "Quack2" on more than one occasion? It's very true that the Quack thing and the 3DMk03 thing are not remotely comparable for a number of significant reasons. It's also true that Kyle's own characterization of the 3DMK03 scandal on his website was to call it "Quack2". I'd love to hear his explanation on why he did *that*...;)

He pats himself on the back with:

"We dove head first into that situation because we thought we could get the ball moving on changes that needed to be made. And I think we did exactly that. I think we also motivated ATI to give much more attention to their driver sets, which we can all be thankful for today."

(I'm sure Kyle got thank-you's galore from ATi for all of the "help" he provided them. *chuckle*) So, OK, why can't he "help" nVidia in the same fashion? He says:

"This situation with NVIDIA is not same and I think trying to do the same with them would simply be wasted resources."

In other words--let's just refrain from "helping" nVidia as we helped ATi, and let's concentrate on "helping" FutureMark by destroying the credibility of their benchmark software, if we can. Kyle is such a "helpful" person....;)

"Also to argue about synthetics and cheating in them would simply undermine our position taken on them in February of this year."

Translated: We said earlier this year we didn't like synthetic benchmarks, and nVidia doesn't like them either, so if we talked about nVidia cheating 3DMk03 that would hurt the case we're making for everyone to dump 3DMk03.

"I am sorry that you see it the way you do. If you do not trust our content or question or motives I would suggest that you never visit our page again or rely on anything we publish."

Ah, such a friendly attempt by Kyle at answering a question from one in his "community." Translated: "[H], love it or leave it."

Such a friendly, helpful chap...:) I'd really like to thank everyone who has taken the time to quote these comments--I had no idea things like this were being said in a forum at [H]. It's really opened my eyes--thank you. Whereas before I had only suspicions, now I have certitude.

11. Blackwind

Newcomer

So basicly you just demonstrated you're lazy? Bravo. :D See that nifty search button up there? Search, FrgMstr (kyle) and Brent. EVEN BETTER! Search FrgMstr and place the word cheat on the other side! (gasp) filtering! Alright! Have fun. Most definitely an F for effort. :p

Same buddy sent me another link. I'm vey sure it doesnt say what you want but have fun reading. :D

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=617736&highlight=cheat

12. Forbidden Donut

Newcomer

Ok, I have now redone my search using your criteria and have come up with more links!!

link 1
    link 2

Phew, ok. Now, after being slightly less lazy, I can assure you that neither of those two links contain any information where [H] says that NVidia cheated in 3dmark or that their cheating in 3dmark was wrong.

On a mostly related note, I apologize for my side of the argument being easier to defend. Nature of the beast. And semi-seriously, I don't know what more you want me to do...I've been following this whole thing closely on MANY sites since it broke, and I have no desire to go through all the posts again to rediscover what I already know to be true...trust me, I've read those posts before.

edit: To my credit, I WAS non-lazy enough to type out those url tags all by myself. :p

13. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Do you know the real explanation for why it's never been reported on the main page? I feel it is a fair question as it kind of can be considered important news that your readers seem a tad un-informed about. (At least from their flame mails to me. ;) )

14. Blackwind

Newcomer

15. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Not nearly as lazy as someone who relies on "buddies" to get links for him, and can't even pull quotes out of them once he gets them. :wink:

16. Forbidden Donut

Newcomer

Ok...haven't re-read the whole post yet, but the first page provided me with some nice material.

There was more to his post, but I think this is pretty much all that was needed.

So anyways, blackwind, you were saying?

17. Blackwind

Newcomer

No apology neccessary. While you may believe it to be true I believe it not to be the case. Kyle and crew have made their expressions of displeasure. I'd also think you would have voiced that much louder then with only 122 or so post. :)

18. Blackwind

Newcomer

:shock:

I have black hair. There ends the resemblance.

19. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

you are kidding right? Here's some quotes from Kyle:

Because he doesn't like 3DMark 2003, it's allright to cheat on it. If Nvidia was cheating it would be a big deal, but as you can't cheat on a benchmark Kyle doesn't like, they'd be no reason to call Nvidia on it, right?

So Kyle thinks that Quack was a definate cheat even though the game rendered both timedemo and game identically. Nvidia outputing low quality shaders, not clearing buffers, and inserting static clip planes is okay because 3Dmark2003 has "no value". Lowering filtering quality in UTK is now okay because they "can't see the difference". Rendering timedemos differently is okay because "you can't see it". :roll:

At no time does he say that he is disappointed in Nvidia for cheating - in fact he denies that they do any cheating at all.

20. Blackwind

Newcomer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.