OMG HARDOCP REVIEW OF UT2003 AND FILTERING

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by bloodbob, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

OMG CAN ANYONE REPRODUCE HIS R350 AF SHOTS??? please note that AF WAS ENABLED IN UT SUPPOSEDLY ( drivers where set to application preference he stated in the start of the review ).

Cause not having UT2003 ( well or a r350 mines a r300 ) I can't tell. Frankly I think he deliberately incorrectly set the testing up and ATI should be making a libel case against him.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTAw

no this isn't the NV35 review either this is a new thing since ATI wasn't happy with how he portraited their cards in the NV35 review.

2. whql

Regular

Before you read this latest [H] article I would suggest you read their ATI Radeon 8500 revisited article to put into context what they feel "real" Trilinear should look like and the use of mipmap colors to highlight it... ;)

3. bloodbob

bloodbob Trollipop
    Veteran

I didn't own a 8500 but are you trying to say that ATI don't do tri linear filtering or you trying to say this is normal for hardocp?

Because I've seen other pictures of UT2003 on a R3X0 with AF and trilinear here on the beyond3d forum and they looked the way they should have.

4. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

We all know [H] is the most unreliable site on the internet.
    [H] is the comical Ali of the internet.

5. Kristof

Regular Alpha

Did they select poor contrast textures on purpose so that the mipmap change is nicely hidden ? Ever texture I saw used was black on grey, or dark brown and light brown, or grey on grey... and all with poor lighting. How on earth would you see anything on such poor contrast pictures ? And why start of with 3 pictures with no chance of ever seeing a mipmap boundary (overly complex environments). We have shown them an ideal place to look at this when we discussed the problem on the forum before.

Yeah right... just because they can not see it while playing does not mean the degradation in image quality is not there... and other people might notice. Now if they played on a LCD that blurs everything anyway then I can understand they did not see a problem... :wink: (actually they mention all the specs but the important one which would be the display device used, unless I am going blind and can't see it in their spec list - I mean who cares what HDD they used !)

Err... so what is it... either it is down right ugly or it is not... how can you say something is ugly and then next say it does not translate to in-game images ?

Reality IMHO is that trilinear filtering is an industry standard you don't go and change it. Make this a performance option sure but never a quality or application option.

Just my 2 personal cents...

K-

6. Hanners

Regular

:?

7. mboeller

Regular

After looking over the article you could not expect an good article cause;

ATi attacked him (in his opinion, and thats all that count here)

And so he defended himself.

Nothing more nothing less.

so overall an useless article, but nothing unexpected and something ATi should/could have expected when the informed Hardocp about the AF issue.

8. Dean

Newcomer

9. John Reynolds

John Reynolds Ecce homo
    Veteran

They just don't have a clue the slippery slope their 'logic' operates on. By condoning such tactics these large and, yes, influential sites will force other vendors to endorse such tactics themselves to remain competitive. And I don't think consumers buying $400-500 USD video boards in 2003 should be using bilinear texture filtering. I wonder if game developers belonging to the Way It's Meant to be Played have the same vision as Nvidia appears to since the latter seems perfectly willing to hack a game's IQ down for their own purposes?

And for all his arrogant blustering, Kyle simply appears to be completely unaware of how to be a positive influence on the market. And that is truly a shame.

10. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

Are B3D going to run a short article on this? From the examples I've seen (e.g. in the post Dave made), it should be a startlinglingly obvious issue to illustrate. Not quite sure how [H] have managed to steer around it. :?

MuFu.

11. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Was that a review or a justification? I swear every other paragraph was along the lines of, "even though some anal-technical types might be able to tell a difference with the colored mipmaps, you barely notice the mipmap lines in real game play if you're a real gamer and not some image quality freak..."

I feel disapointed, but unsurprised. :(

12. MuFu

MuFu Chief Spastic Baboon
    Veteran

Hehe. :lol:

MuFu.

13. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Easy, lots of practice. 8)

14. Sticky

Newcomer

Will someone be doing a follow up article to the [H] article?? Becasue I am interested in another perspective.

Perhaps 1 or 2 members on here could provide screen shots of there respective cards (9700/9800 and 5900 ultra) and let everyone draw there own conclusions as is the standard here.

15. nelg

Veteran

I see Dave posting in forums at [H] (before being banned ?), Rage3d, NVnews, Anandtech, etc. I applaud and thank him for that. He seems to be the only site operator/reviewer that seems to have finding the truth as his primary concern.
    [flame] An infinite number of monkeys typing on an infinite number of keyboards will eventually write a more deceptive review than [H]. [/flame]

16. nelg

Veteran

Some very important questions need to be asked of [H]. Did they ask ATI for proof? If they did not, why not? If so, were they denied? If ATI said they would provide proof, why did they not wait?

17. Yonex

Newcomer

It's Over

Kyle has lost all credibility.

Brent is fast approaching.

The longer this issue goes the more it looks like the Quak issue that they screamed about.
    At this point Kyle is a 2 faced liar. Spin it how you want, he is.

They are simply choosing to argue the side they choose instead of the truth and looking out for the readers.

It's sad, years worth of credibiltiy built by fighting for us the enthusiasts, gone in a matter of a couple weeks.

18. Yonex

Newcomer

Oh yea

According to Kyle's own rules you have to wait a month before any action can take place.

19. andypski

Regular

[Sarcasm]

Turns round to rest of ATI driver guys...

"It's official - it's now open season on image quality guys - [H] says so."

Let's start hacking it up now, and leave no pixel unpolluted.

[/Sarcasm]

20. nelg

Veteran

How about a new driver control panel option called [Kyle] to go with the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.