Older AMD hardware - deal?

Windfire

Regular
What do you think a fair price would be on this hardware? It is used but from a co-worker that I can trust:

All items come with the original boxes and accessories. Everything is in used, but good condition.
All parts are working just fine - I upgraded for increased speed and to make use of my stimulus payment :)

MOTHERBOARD: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz Socket 939 Single-Core Processor Model
with stock fan

MEMORY: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

VIDEO CARD: EVGA 256-P2-N563-AX GeForce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

Right now we're talking about $100.

I've got other components to flesh it out.

50% of whatever the retail value is at most
that system will still let you play almost anything (maybe not crysis)
i played oblivion on a p4 3ghz 7600gt 1280x1024 not maxed but it was playable
$100 seems pretty good

Last edited by a moderator:
$100 for a system that will play just about any game (except the obvious big names everyone knows) at 1280x1024 with decent details is a heck of a bargain

Thanks, I was just looking for some confirmation this was as good as it looked.

With extra components I have I can get this system up and running for ~$200.

I was hoping the motherboard would work with teh AMD dual-cores, but the best I can get is an FX CPU which is not worth it considering the 4000+ is not bad for a single-core.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks, I was just looking for some confirmation this was as good as it looked.

With extra components I have I can get this system up and running for ~$200.

I was hoping the motherboard would work with teh AMD dual-cores, but the best I can get is an FX CPU which is not worth it considering the 4000+ is not bad for a single-core.

Thanks,
Steve

I have the same motherboard and it does work with dual cores, you can get a Athlon X2 3800+ and OC it. I'm running mine @ 2.4GHz right now. The sck. 939 dual cores are hard to find but it should be possible to dig one up somewhere online, you don't need to spend a stupid amount on a FX.

my aformentioned Opty o/c'd nicely on that Gigabyte board, up to ~2.6GHz, IIRC. I swapped to an abit at8-32x (RD580 board) shortly thereafter and got her up to 2.7 with cold winter air

I have the same motherboard and it does work with dual cores, you can get a Athlon X2 3800+ and OC it. I'm running mine @ 2.4GHz right now. The sck. 939 dual cores are hard to find but it should be possible to dig one up somewhere online, you don't need to spend a stupid amount on a FX.

That would be great. I thought the dual-cores were AM2 (?). Also, I went to MSI and it seems to only list Athlon 64 and FX chips...

I'll either stick with the 4000+ or might consider a 939 dual-core if I can find one cheap down the road.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Wanted to pass on that I've received the hardware listed above and added:

* Cheap case (mid ATX)
* Antec 500w PSU (22amp 12v rails)
* DVD Burner
* 300GB SATA2 Seagate (free from friend!)

Total cost: $100 + $19 + 55 = ~$175

The system is up and running with WinXP Pro. Not bad at all.

Back