Need help on what computer parts to but

weaksauce

Regular
Ok, I'm trying to buy a computer upgrade for a friend with limited price at 4500SEK. Main focus is gaming...

Anyhow, what I've come up with so far from what's avaible and from where I can get it:

ACE PowerSupply 620W
AMD Opteron UP 148 2,2GHz 1MB Socket 939 (box)
MSI - Socket 939 - ATX Nforce4 Ultra (K8N NEO4 FI) PCI-E / Gblan
Asus Radeon X1950PRO 256MB PCI-E

And some memory which I need help with... Does it have to be ECC? I figure it is a good processor to overclock with also, so I'm thinking on a bit faster memory than 400, or a 400 that is good to overclock with, but they have to bee cheap! Any advice?

I'm thinking Kingston DDR 512MB PC3500 433MHz CL2.5 Hyper X, but I don't think it's ECC.
Otherwise, just some regular kingston 3200 cl2.5 or corsair value?

ECC is quite expensive, though.

edit: the hyper x memory isn't in stock but there is one 512mb pc3200 in. I'll take it if ECC is not required (if it is, why?) and if it overclocks better than the regular.

btw, how does an Arctic Cooling Ultra 64 work for overclocking? Otherwise I'll just go with the standard in the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
ECC is only for socket 940 or F.

if you're building a PC from the ground, why not socket AM2? with say a 3500+ CPU which shouldn't be that much different. having the more recent memory standard, and upgrade path to the future gen of dual and quad core AMD CPUs is nice.

Oh and if you're building a pc from ground up, why not go Intel, maybe something like E6300?

Because I don't have enough money...4500sek may give you alot in the US but not here. I thought the opteron would give best 'bang for buck' at it's price and I also got a cheap nforce4 for it, it's also good for overclocking if we'd want to do that later on.
(3500+ is at the same clockspeed but only half the chache?)

Anyhow I bought that and a corsiar value because hyperx wasn't avaible and it all works now i just have to install winxpx64 :smile:

Back