Ok so is this possible on the Rev controller.

ninzel

Veteran
Force feedback or some subtle form of it. Not vibration.
Is there some form of technology that will allow this without having something to anchor or push off from. OR would your hand be the opposing force or anchor?
Can gyros do this or something,this seems to be the latest rumour.

ninzel said:
Force feedback or some subtle form of it. Not vibration.
Is there some form of technology that will allow this without having something to anchor or push off from. OR would your hand be the opposing force or anchor?
I've heard of gyroscopes being able to do that but what would they be pushing on?

Yes force feedback can be incorporated into the Wiimote just like any other controller, however, it would probably suck the battery dry pretty quickly.

ninzel said:

Gyros are typically the method of this but I can't imagine they would be anywhere near feasible considering the amount of energy required for them to be effective as you're basically fighting against the rotational momentum of the gyro. So the amount of work required would kill the battery instantly (if it even managed to spin the sucker up in the first place). Note that I haven't done the calculations so this is off the top of my head.

You would need a honking great gyro that would not only drain batteries but it'd be utterly unresponsive, taking a while to spin up and then slow down. It can't provide an instant resistance, instant release, only a gradully increasing resistance to decreasing resistance. Gyros are good at being constant, not quickly changing.

True, proper, fully controllable FF that resists motion isn't possible on a device without a base unit or some such anchor to push against.

Nintendo could have force feedback for the analog stick in the left-hand attachment, but I wouldn't count on it. Would be kind of gimmicky, and run the risk of wearing out or otherwise getting fouled up. And there's the battery aspect as well of course.

I wonder how Nintendo will solve the battery issue by the way. On the 360, you can plug in the charger cord while playing. How will that work on the wiimote? The only connector we've seen so far is at the back, and there the attachments plug in. So you'd likely have to unplug those to charge it. That means taking a break playing the game, if the game relies on an attachment.

Unless there's a hidden recharge connector we've not been shown so far. Then again, considering how Nintendo want us to flail around with our hands during play, maybe they don't want a long cord whipping around as well, risking people to trip themselves and others up in it, leading to rediculous, far-fetched and most certainly expensive damage claims through lawsuits... :p

Back