Newcomer
Whats the deal

*Dont Laugh*

SDRAM at DIMM # 1,2
Searching for boot record from IDE - 0 .. OK

A disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart

For a while it sounded like a jet engine in a box

Whats the deal, you sak? Well, I'm guessing that: "A disk read error occurred".

That; however, could imply lot's of things. A bad cable, busted controller, or HD error.

My first troubleshooting step would be to check if the HD is detected correctly in the BIOS. If not, then swap the cable. Still no dice then hook up another drive (preferably a 'throwaway' one without any data) to see if that get detected. If this doesn't work the motherboard is likely toast.

If the drive does get detected properly: use another PC do make boot disks with diagnostic tools from the drive manufacturer. Maybe there is a drive error that can be repaired, or you will get verification that the drive is indeed gone.

Ok now it wont even stay on, (which happened before where I had to just keep flipping the power on and off and unplugging the cable before it stayed on... like an old car that refuses to turn over. Power Blinks on hums for s split second - a few secs at a time... power dies) I think it's time I just went out and got a new PC.

Im well overdue for a new PC, i mean this one was 5 years behind the times when i got it free a year ago.

I can barely stream 320 x 240 video with that thing

Back