Ok, as an 8500 owner...

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by sumdumyunguy, Feb 6, 2002.

1. sumdumyunguy

Newcomer

I have to ask. With these prices (for the mid TI product) how well will ATI do in the interem until the R250/and or R300. I know that they have upped to memory to match (other than higher resolutions, what other beneifits, if any?) at 128MB, but really. Are they about to take a serious beating for the next few months.

p.s. there is a rumour going that says that ATI has completely discontinued the original 8500 part....

2. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Well, the part that should be directly competing the Radeon 8500, price wise, is the GeForce4 Ti 4200 -- and that's not due out for a couple months.

If all ATI has to respond to the GeForce4 is a 128 MB Radeon 8500, then yes, it appears to me that nVidia will own this round. :wink:

What we don't know, is what the RV250 is, or when it's to be expected. Whatever it is, ATI needs to get it out the door around the April time-frame.

I'm not expecting any DX9 part (R-300 or NV30) until the fall.

3. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Ditto to what Joe said, I'm quite pleased with the 8500 feature set. I may try a 8500 128 meg as I have my Retail 8500 sold as of last week. The Geforce 4 prices are much to high in Cananda at this time or I'd give a 4400 or 4600 a shot, I just don't have $750 dollars right now.

4. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Well for me it seams like going from my Radeon 8500 to a GF4 would be a downgrade. It looks like those "GF4 doesn't bring anything new" claims were more or less right. Looking through the list of OpenGL extensions at xbits review I couldn't find any extension I haven't heard of before.

5. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

FYI: Dan Vivoli seemed pretty confident that nVIDIA will be the first to market with a DX9 compliant part. We'll see if that comes about. I have seen one developer say that ATI stated R300 would be a Xmas 2002 part.

6. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

GL_NV_texture_shader3 is a new extension only supported by NV25.

7. Sharkfood

Regular

Although not GF3/4 specific the nv_vertex_array_range and nv fence usage is a very nice set of extensions I'd like to see used elsewhere.

It offers quite a performance boost even on high-end systems and makes perfectly good sense (i.e. why double copy every stinkin' vertex array twice? Write it once then go..).

8. Doomtrooper

Veteran

When is the Dx9 release scheduled , Oct/Nov/02 ??

9. Joe DeFuria

Legend

Last I heard, DX9 is being scheduled for a Sept. release.

10. multigl

if all goes well, the R300 is a fall part.

11. Humus

Humus Crazy coder
    Veteran

Yeah, I suppose that's it.

12. sumdumyunguy

Newcomer

so multigl (I'm lovswr at rage3d), you don't think that the fall would be too late? As you know over at rage3d, many peeps have been touting an earlier arrival of the R300 (R250 perhaps?). Some say as soon as next month. I like my 8500. Just dissapointed that the top of the heap got "pushed up" so soon.

13. pascal

Veteran

ATI will do very well.

Unfortunatelly I changed back to the dark side (Nvidia). I just bought a new Asus GF3 Ti200 Deluxe :grin:

I wanted DX8 and also video capture (Video IN, VCR MPEG-2) and video OUT. Unfortunatelly the Radeon 8500DV is 40% more expensive here in Brazil :sad:

With the difference I bought a new TDK Velocd CD writer :cool:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pascal on 2002-02-07 18:16 ]</font>

14. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Pascal,

You proabably would have been better getting a Tvwonder add in card or some other tv capture card...that way you can get the top end peformance card and also have the capture/tv features too.
    :smile:

15. pascal

Veteran

The problem is that only GF3 Ti200 and the Radeon 8500DV were available in the streets.

16. Doomtrooper

Veteran

I see, oh well the Ti 200 is a nice card..bring on the games :smile:

17. pascal

Veteran

For curiosity some prices here (I was on vacation and did some search):

8500DV -------------- US$ 552
    ASUSGF3Ti200Deluxe -- US$ 399
    MSIGF3Ti200 --------- US$ 300 (no video in, VCR)
    Hercules4500 (kyroII) US$ 220
    Radeon 32MBDDR ------ US$ 160

No standard/OEM Radeon 8500 avaliable.

The GF3 drivers are improving, see the leatest Unreal Performance Test 2002 - Build 856 at 1024x768x32 : http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1583&amp;p=12

It is side by side with 8500LE :grin:

I installed it this afternoon and the performance is good, but RTCW is not working, Q3TA sky is not very good. Well, I am still learning :smile:

18. pascal

Veteran

I cant believe that :eek: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2103925,00.html
    The Radeon 8500 (or GF3 Ti200) is 70% to 80% faster than the GF4MX 460 when playing next generation games like Unreal 2 and they want people to buy the GF4MX ??????

The GF4MX is where they are targeting the big OEM. People will say "GF4 is the fastest graphics accelerator", and the kids will say "Please dad buy me a new Dell (or other OEM) with GF4" :mad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pascal on 2002-02-08 18:14 ]</font>

19. Ichneumon

Regular

Of course thats what they'll do.

Nvidia wants that to happen... because after they find out they can't play the games they wanna play well, they'll whine until daddy goes out and spends another few hundred bux on an Nvidia card that CAN play their games.

20. Hyp-X

Hyp-X Irregular
    Veteran

Hmm really? :smile:

I can't wait to hear what pixel shading is... :razz: