Official Playstation 3 Price reveiled!

If this was true (not that I think it is) it would be good for the consumer, but I can't see how this would help Sony.

Sony is currently paying off the cost of billion dollar factories with the massive profits it's making off of the PS2, and PSP. Sony is doing very well, and right now has nothing to worry about.

I wasn't aware SONY was making massive profits with PSP. I thought they were losing money with PSP. You have a link that says PSP is making massive profits?

What's USD 400 for a ext-gen console anyway!? No, I'm not a rich sucka, just European. . .

When I bought my PS2 on PAL launch day, I had to pay 4500,- norwegian krones, = USD 671.6!
The norwegian launch price for an Xbox 360 Premium is 3395 norwegian krones and Core 2595, thats USD 506.7 and USD 387.3.

if this is true, this is indeed good news :)

edit: funny something like this comes a day before you know what :p

Depends which is more powerful.

If Sony's only "about the same", they're dead in the water, for instance.

Price wars will be in MS corner this time.

Oh yeah.

Sorry, Nintendo tends to be forgotten at times these days :)

But lack of power is why I consider Revolution a non-starter, anyway.

PARANOiA said:
If this was true (not that I think it is) it would be good for the consumer, but I can't see how this would help Sony.

Yeah and how does it help Sony if they price the PS3 at $500? Dare to explain that to me and all the other people here? Obviously if Sony prices the PS3 between $300-$400 it will be helping out them and the consumer.

mckmas8808 said:
Obviously if Sony prices the PS3 between $300-$400 it will be helping out them and the consumer.

You can't say that.

Neither you, nor I (nor even Sony probably at this point) knows the best price point to hit the right supply and demand curve.

Using your logic (lower price the better), you could say that sony pricing the PS3 at $50 will be helping them out.

The price that helps out Sony, is the highest price they can sell the hardware out and still have demand meet supply.

Joe DeFuria said:
You can't say that.

Neither you, nor I (nor even Sony probably at this point) knows the best price point to hit the right supply and demand curve.

Using your logic (lower price the better), you could say that sony pricing the PS3 at $50 will be helping them out.

The price that helps out Sony, is the highest price they can sell the hardware out and still have demand meet supply.

Look at your last sentence Joe. That's 100% exactly my point man. If MS lowers the price of the Xbox 360 like many people here think to say $249 for core and $349 premium than why in the world will Sony sell the PS3 for say $500?

Bill said:
Depends which is more powerful.

If Sony's only "about the same", they're dead in the water, for instance.

They're not the same, but there's far more to Sony's advantage than just "power" from a value perspective. Far more important things, arguably, that are more likely to be very tangible USPs.

mckmas8808 said:
Look at your last sentence Joe. That's 100% exactly my point man. If MS lowers the price of the Xbox 360 like many people here think to say $249 for core and $349 premium than why in the world will Sony sell the PS3 for say $500?

Joe's point, I believe, is that we don't know the optimal number for Sony. Companies will charge the highest amount possible and still meet demand. If they can convince all the people they want to sell to that their console is worth $500, you can bet they'll sell it for $500. This is the same company, after all, that is trying to convince people that the PSP is worth 2x a Gameboy DS. At this point, we just don't know. They're probably doing marketing analysis right now to test how much consumers are willing to pay for a PS3.

mckmas8808 said:
I think PG2G was trying to say don't put every word that someone says behind it as 100% truth. Just because Ken K. says the PS3 will be expensive (which I still don't get being that $300 is expensive to lots of people), then that holds just as much weight as Bill Gates saying that Halo 3 will be out for the launch of the PS3 (which won't happen unless the game is truly ready).

Yeah. Well, I was more so referring to the fact that Bill Gates said Halo 3 would be out for PS3 launch and he promptly received a "STFU, you don't know what you're talking about" from everyone Xbox related :p In other words, the words of a higher up may not always be consistent with the people who would know better.

g35er said:
Joe's point, I believe, is that we don't know the optimal number for Sony. Companies will charge the highest amount possible and still meet demand. If they can convince all the people they want to sell to that their console is worth $500, you can bet they'll sell it for $500. This is the same company, after all, that is trying to convince people that the PSP is worth 2x a Gameboy DS. At this point, we just don't know. They're probably doing marketing analysis right now to test how much consumers are willing to pay for a PS3.

g35er I understand your point, but will horribly agree to disagree. First of all the PSP is worth close to 2X the price of the DS. I plays full-featured movies, it can display and transfer digital photos, its games are made with better graphics which have better technology, it can play and store MP3s, it has LocationFree TV which allows you to play movies and TV shows from your home TV while on the road (*as long as you have the unit at home), and it has the internet.

All of those reasons are good enough to price the PSP a little higher than the DS which mainly just plays games. I personally don't think the PS3 has that many features over the Xbox 360.

mckmas8808 said:
g35er I understand your point, but will horribly agree to disagree. First of all the PSP is worth close to 2X the price of the DS. I plays full-featured movies, it can display and transfer digital photos, its games are made with better graphics which have better technology, it can play and store MP3s, it has LocationFree TV which allows you to play movies and TV shows from your home TV while on the road (*as long as you have the unit at home), and it has the internet.

All of those reasons are good enough to price the PSP a little higher than the DS which mainly just plays games. I personally don't think the PS3 has that many features over the Xbox 360.

If you read my post, you'll see that I'm not making a claim as to the price Sony is going to charge for the PS3. The PSP-DS analogy is just an illustration to say that a company will price their product based on what they think users are willing to pay for it. In this case, Sony believe people will pay 2x DS for the PSP. Similarly, Sony believes their TV's are worth more than Panasonic, so they charge more. If Sony thinks users believe that PS3 is worth $100 more than 360, they'll charge the premium. If they believe people are willing to pay $300 more than 360, you bet they'll charge the extra. If Sony thinks most users won't pay more for the PS3 than the 360, they won't charge a premium.

The whole point is that Sony and every company will charge whatever they believe people will pay. That's all. You say that number is around $300-400. That's a fair and legitimate guess. Others say it's more like $400-500. That's also a legitimate guess.

g35er said:
The whole point is that Sony and every company will charge whatever they believe people will pay. That's all. You say that number is around $300-400. That's a fair and legitimate guess. Others say it's more like $400-500. That's also a legitimate guess.

Okay I see. I guess the point here for B3D is to discuss which price point sounds more legitimate and why. IMHO Sony would be crazy to price the PS3 at $500. That's not directed at you, it's just my personal opionion.

mckmas8808 said:

As I said, It all depends on the supply they have.

Back