Official Live! prices announced

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11420

The basic pricing for Xbox Live Gold - as the subscription service is known, distinguishing it from the free Xbox Live Silver service - is $7.99 per month, with a three month subscription priced at $19.99 and twelve months at $49.99.
Also there's a major pack push.
The Xbox Live Premium Gold Packs will be available in three-month and one-year variants, priced at $39.99 and $69.99 respectively. Both packs will include all of the Gold features, along with an Xbox Live headset and access to an Xbox Live Arcade game - Joust for three-month subscribers, and Bankshot Billiards for twelve month subscribers.

Three month subscribers will also receive a $10 mail-in rebate coupon for any Xbox 360 games, and 100 points to spend in the Xbox Live Marketplace, while twelve month subscribers get a $20 rebate and 200 marketplace points.
Obviously very keen to promote the take-up of Live!

The pricing is not so bad, a lot of people are very adamant about not paying for something of this nature and always use the PC model as an example but I have tio give MS credit XBOX Live was done quite well and I am more than happy to reward them with my money.

This is one i never could understand. Why can't you play a game online unless you pay for live service? Shouldn't this service be included in the price of the software, like it is on the PC? Games are already going to cost $60 and then another $70 just to play your games online.

I really feel this xbox live is really over-rated. Seems like they are just trying to nickel and dime you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kb-Smoker said:
This is one i never could understand. Why can't you play a game online unless you pay for live service? Shouldn't this service be included in the price of the software, like it is on the PC? Games are already going to cost $60 and then another $50 just to play your games online.

I really feel this xbox live is really over-rated. Seems like they are just trying to nickel and dime you.

Because you play in their servers, create matchs in them, etc, so it's reasonable tu charge you for using their servers.

Apoc said:
Because you play in their servers, create matchs in them, etc, so it's reasonable tu charge you for using their servers.
Same goes for the PC and they don't charge for the online service. I just feel it should be included in the software price since games are going to cost $60. :???:

Kb-Smoker said:
Same goes for the PC and they don't charge for the online service. I just feel it should be included in the software price since games are going to cost $60. :???:

In pc games you create the match in your pc, not in the company's server. The games in which you play on the company's servers have a monthly fee (MMORPG).

scooby_dooby said:
God some people are stingy. It's $60 CAD for an entire year, that's $5 a month!!

That's the price of two large coffees.

I guess people are feeling this way simply because what was stated already. Look at BattleField 2 (which i'll be getting today). You can just register with a login account, log in...and your done. No subscription fee. No feeling that you HAVE to use the online features, because your paying for it.

Now..on the other end, you've got functionality with all 360 games, all under 1 structure. This makes it though your familiar with every game you get (Online Aspects).

All I know...is that I'll be getting Live! when 360 gets here.

I think people are complaining because they're anti-xbox, and are looking for things to complain about honestly.

I don't really understand the complaints though, this is a service, provided by MS that is extremely affordable.

It's not like it overpriced, you don't have to pay it, it's not like anyone is forcing you to go online. Hell, I've had an XBOX for almost 3 years and have never once gamed online, so it's a bonus that you can take advantage of if you like.

For $5/month you can play ALL your games online, not just 1, but any game in your entire collection, with one consistent interface, I think that's a great value.

Besides, if you really want a PC-like gaming experience you can use system link to tunnel through your PC and play for free, you won't get any of the benefits of Live!, but it's free. So there's options either way.

Blue, that's pretty much what MS is charging for. A wrapper to online gaming. As I understand it the devs still have to provide their own servers or they can pay MS to host for them. What you pay for in live! is the simplicity and the unified format.

Frankly, I'm with those who don't like the pricing, I don't play online nor do I really care to, but if one game comes along out of the 10s maybe 100s I'll buy I don't want to pay for it, especially if it's just one game. More over, that's probably how most non-online gamers think. Silver helps solve the problem of those who might want updates, but it doesn't really solve the casual "meh, I'll give it a try" online gamer. THen on the otherside there's the PC online gamers who are used to not paying.

Kb-Smoker said:

Contrary to popular belief, any decent server for a PC game is being paid for, its just not you directly paying for it. A good server will run 70-90 per month.

In addition, there are a growing number of PC games that charge more per game than live does. The only PC games that are free for online play are Guild Wars and Joint Ops.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

As I understand it those free month subscription cards are being phased out for the next live. They'll be using "promotional weekends" instead, where silver members will be allowed to play games.

aaronspink said:
Contrary to popular belief, any decent server for a PC game is being paid for, its just not you directly paying for it. A good server will run 70-90 per month.

In addition, there are a growing number of PC games that charge more per game than live does. The only PC games that are free for online play are Guild Wars and Joint Ops.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.
Well i play a lot of bf 2 and i just play on EA servers. They don't charge anything for it.

scooby_dooby said:
Besides, if you really want a PC-like gaming experience you can use system link to tunnel through your PC and play for free, you won't get any of the benefits of Live!, but it's free. So there's options either way.
Cool, do you have a link that tells more about this info?

Mefisutoferesu said:
As I understand it those free month subscription cards are being phased out for the next live. They'll be using "promotional weekends" instead, where silver members will be allowed to play games.

Link?

I can't say I'm surprised, just another taste of the "new" MS that seems to be heading up the x360.

Kb-Smoker said:
Cool, do you have a link that tells more about this info?

Any game that supports system link (connect 2 xboxes together and play) can play through a PC that emulates a connection to other xbox's.

So as long as x360 continues to support system link, then this will be doable.

there's a whole bunch of these for xbox1,
here's an example: http://www.gamespyarcade.com/tunnel/

scooby_dooby said:
Link?

I can't say I'm surprised, just another taste of the "new" MS that seems to be heading up the x360.

whats the difference between promotional cards or promotional weekends? it still allows you to sample it, without people being able to abuse it.

I understand the argument of pc online is free.. but is also been my own personal experience that xbox live lags less than pc online... and I have both on the same connection, so is not my connection.

Some people consider xbox live a good value, 4 bucks a month to play unlimited time online, with a friends list that allows you to keep track of your friends, and a pretty unified way of doing things. Some people think is too expensive, that's fine. I just don't see why this argument is always dragged out and made as such a big deal... pc gamers buy $300-$500 graphic cards every 2 yrs.. people on xbox live pay $50 extra bucs to play online..

scooby_dooby said:
I don't really understand the complaints though, this is a service, provided by MS that is extremely affordable.
I think Live! is good value for money and worthwhile, but I appreciate the arguments against. The key point is you have no choice whether to pay fees for online or not. On PS2 and PC if you want to play online there are games that let you do that free of charge. On XB if you want to play online (save weekends or whatever Silver's options are) you have to pay. If you grab a copy of Star Wars Battlefields for PS2 and want to see what online's like, you can. But on XB you need to buy a subscription. For casual onliners a flat fee, even a pretty affordable one like Live!, is considerably more money than they care to spend on online gaming.

Back