Xbox 360 Live Arcade Stick

AzBat

Agent of the Bat
Legend
Evidently Mad Catz will be releasing a new arcade stick targeted at Live Arcade users. It's called the Live Arcade Retro Stick.

802511b.jpg

Gamespot said:
The retailer also has a listing for a new Xbox 360 "Live Arcade Retro Stick" from Mad Catz. While the retro games on Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade service are notable for their inexpensive nature (typically $5 to download classics like Joust or Smash TV to the system), Mad Catz' upcoming arcade stick appears to be anything but.

The product listing is devoid of details outside of the $69.99 price, but it does include a tiny picture from which a few things can be discerned. While the diagram in the picture is a bit too blurry to make out clearly, it appears that one of the controller's dual analog sticks has a removable, retro-styled stick attachment. Furthermore, there seems to be a few logos suggesting that the pack will come with 100 Microsoft Points to spend in the Marketplace, a free month's subscription to Xbox Live Gold, and three of something entirely illegible (possibly free retro games?).

Source: Gamespot
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6155960.html

EBGames:
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?cookie_test=1&product_id=802511

Hopefully they release a version ala carte minus the extras. Because at $60 it's kind of hard to swallow.

Anyway, neat looking stick. Kinda like an old Atari 2600 stick. I wonder how comfortable it is to use?

Tommy McClain

While the 360 controller is my favorite controller so far, the d-pad is easily my least favorite of all-time. I never realized how much I hated it until, Frogger, Pac-Man and SFII came along...:devilish:

The 360 pad feels awesome, including the D-pad. Well, until you ACTUALLY try to use the D-pad for anything besides as extra face buttons that is... When utilized the way intended, it's actually rather crap, unfortunately. Sad, because the pad is otherwise so incredibly awesome. :( Well, ignoring the weight, I guess, which I do, because that doesn't really bother me.

The 360 pad feels awesome, including the D-pad. Well, until you ACTUALLY try to use the D-pad for anything besides as extra face buttons that is... When utilized the way intended, it's actually rather crap, unfortunately. Sad, because the pad is otherwise so incredibly awesome. :( Well, ignoring the weight, I guess, which I do, because that doesn't really bother me.

I concur on all points...I just don't know if my dislike for it is enough to buy another controller, however, being the xbla-*hor* that I am, I will probably spring for the stick.

There is a tutorial out there to file down the edge around the dpad, maybe a solution for some.

The stupid thing is the D-pad on the XBOX1 controllers is perfect.

You mean the original or the S-controller?

I'd prefer the 360 controller with shoulder buttons that didn't click (instead have more depth for pushing) and the original d-pad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evidently the EBGames/GameStop listing for the new stick has been pulled. Oops. ;)

Tommy McClain

While the 360 controller is my favorite controller so far, the d-pad is easily my least favorite of all-time. I never realized how much I hated it until, Frogger, Pac-Man and SFII came along...:devilish:
Seriously? There can BE a D-pad worse than the GameCube's? :oops:

Didn't seem like a very good design for the Arcade stick anyhow?

Where are the Shoulder buttons? They should of been placed on the top with the X,Y,A,B buttons.

I guess unless the expect you to hold the Arcade Stick in your hand?

Neat idea otherwise. Little pricey? Wonder if its wireless?

Didn't seem like a very good design for the Arcade stick anyhow?

Where are the Shoulder buttons? They should of been placed on the top with the X,Y,A,B buttons.

On top? That sounds like an odd choice. I suspect they are on the sides.

I guess unless the expect you to hold the Arcade Stick in your hand?

Umm. Yeah. I take it you've never used an Atari 2600 joystick? :D

Neat idea otherwise. Little pricey? Wonder if its wireless?

Wireless would really be cool, but I didn't think Microsoft allowed any 3rd party wireless controllers for the 1st year or so? Personally, I suspect the price might be more to do with the extras possibly included with it. Like 100 Microsoft Points, 1 Month Live Gold Subscription and possibly 3 Live Arcade games.

Tommy McClain

I was hoping to see a stick like the one I bought for the dreamcast launch. I hope some other company can come to the rescue with an old school arcade stick. It sucks that SF2 is out there on live and I can't play it because of the horrible d-pad.

Seriously? There can BE a D-pad worse than the GameCube's? :oops:
I see nothing particulary wrong with the GC D-pad. N64 pad tho - that one was crap. Too large, and too stiff. Very hard to pull off dragon punches and such with it.

So, I'd say the DS Lite pad is actually worse than GC - maybe due to the machine having to be so darned thin, I dunno... It's good in the four main compass directions, diagonals are quite tricky. Never tried phat DS pad, so I can't comment if that one is any better or worse.

Diagonals ARE a big part of D-padding... ;)

While it's responsive enough, it's small and sharp-edged, and basically makes it a pain in the ass to use for any extended period of time.

Back