Nvidias *optomized* filtering..

Hellbender I'll give you an honest answer as far as I know.

Currently the 6800 in defualt mode only scrimp on AF angles and brilinear.

I believe the angle dependancy is a little better in the 6800 though I haven't really looked to hard into it.

Brilinear vs Trilinear well they both do about the same trilinear/brilinear mix BUT brilinear does favour to use the lower resolution mipmap more then trilinear and the other way around for the higher resoulution mipmap. So their is slight more of a bandwidth save on the 6800 taking into account the texture CACHE.

Now I also belive X800 does another optimisation which the 6800 doesn't I believe that on texture layers 1-7 when AF is enabled it pushes the LOD back further I could be mistaken about this.

6800 does better LOD calculation as well but it doesn't factor in all that much.

Albuquerque said:
I don't think ANYONE is going to be disappointed in either of these cards. As for the true winner, I honestly think that's not either of the companies, but us crazy people paying the cash for the cards When was the last time we had such great competition? I can only think of NV vs 3DFX in the TNT2 days

Sorry... but so far I don't see competition bringing prices down. Perhaps a little too reminiscent of the 3DFX Voodoo2 SLI days for my taste. I'm really disappointed right now because I was waiting for this generation to come out so that I could upgrade, but these introductory prices are ridiculous. They've yet to even bring down the last generation's prices much. Where's the $199 pricepoint here? No, I don't want a POS X600 either! I miss the 4200 days where you could get the same features and composition of the high end with a slight clock speed reduction at a much lower price. I'm not going to pay over $500 for a video card, or even $350 for the "bottom of the performance GPUs."

Sorry... but so far I don't see competition bringing prices down
WTF ?
I payed $1050 for my GF3, $990 for the ti4600, $790 for my 9800pro, and $760 for my current card x800xt. all cards were bought as soon as available here in Australia(usually 2-4 weeks behind the U.S)

I dont know about you, but i can clearly see a pattern :rolleyes:

I hate to derail this thread, because I was actually interested in the original discussion, but I'd like to point out I'm referring to US $ and like I already said... I'm not going to pay $500 or even $350. I never buy the high end cards as soon as they're released. What I generally like to purchase are the cards slightly below them which are based on the same platform, but at slower clockspeeds. I'm not even a fan of disabling pipelines for lower end cards either. What I'd like to see is the 6800 GT at a $250 to $300 price point. Heck, I'd take the 12 pipeline 6800 or X800 pro for $200, but not the $315-$400 that they're at right now... that's just too much. I'll give the situation a few more weeks, but right now I'm looking at Radeon 9800 Pros (128 MB versions), because they're actually affordable.

Back