Nvidia Tegra

Personally I'll go for the OMAP3 inside Omnia HD....or / Samsung SoC inside iPhone "HD"...

Omnia HD is very nice although I'm not that sure about s60 (nice OS but not as flexible as wm or android) and that 720p video (it records and playbacks in mpeg4 sp where both tegra and snapdragon support at least baseline profile) and it doesn't have native HDMI only through dongle or DLNA. Which is a big let down if you ask me.
iPhone "HD" could be nice but only if they allow avi and mkv to be played through inbuilt video player cause without that we would need to reencode or remux those videos into mp4 supported format which would be very inconvenient, time consuming and stupid. Besides knowing apple they will go with mini DisplayPort instead of HDMI or you will have to buy their proprietary, expensive (read: overpriced) video cable to enjoy 720p video on big screen :rolleyes:

That's a nice confirmation - thanks for linking Ike! FWIW: AP16 = APX 2600, which is a silicon layer respin (i.e. practically a new tape-out) of AP15/APX 2500. I wonder if it'll run on a Qualcomm baseband (MSM6290?) or if the rumours of a HTC partnership with ST-Ericsson were true; not that anyone but me cares of course... :D

That's a nice confirmation - thanks for linking Ike! FWIW: AP16 = APX 2600, which is a silicon layer respin (i.e. practically a new tape-out) of AP15/APX 2500. I wonder if it'll run on a Qualcomm baseband (MSM6290?) or if the rumours of a HTC partnership with ST-Ericsson were true; not that anyone but me cares of course... :D

Note that just like Thoth (the new Athena) the resultion is listed in Wide Screen mode (800x480 instead of 480x800). strange...Will this be a "Phone" or more of a PMP/MID with phone functionality?

Yup, but do you realize the iPhone is a landscape device for video too? ;) Think about it: if you took an iPhone form factor and wanted to add a hardware keyboard (I'm not saying SuperStar will have one, I don't know), where would you add it? And if you add it there, what's the most logical way to describe the resolution even if there's an accelerometer that allows you to use it in both directions?

I'd argue it'd make sense to describe Nokia's N97 that way too, FWIW (which I used for a few minutes at MWC btw, form factor and sliding is very nice, 350MHz processor and resistive touch are kinda retarded though and I could definitely feel both).

Yup, but do you realize the iPhone is a landscape device for video too? ;) Think about it: if you took an iPhone form factor and wanted to add a hardware keyboard (I'm not saying SuperStar will have one, I don't know), where would you add it? And if you add it there, what's the most logical way to describe the resolution even if there's an accelerometer that allows you to use it in both directions?

I'd argue it'd make sense to describe Nokia's N97 that way too, FWIW (which I used for a few minutes at MWC btw, form factor and sliding is very nice, 350MHz processor and resistive touch are kinda retarded though and I could definitely feel both).
Yup, but if you look at the Touch Pro 2 (which you could call a landscape device..) it's listed in protrait mode (480x800) same for all the WVGA devices (Diamond2, Star aka Firestone etc) besides the SuperStar and Thoh. That's why I came to this spéculation.

Yup, but if you look at the Touch Pro 2 (which you could call a landscape device..) it's listed in protrait mode (480x800) same for all the WVGA devices (Diamond2, Star aka Firestone etc) besides the SuperStar and Thoh. That's why I came to this spéculation.
You're right - this is weird, and it's probably not even that their marketing material would show it as landscape or portrait and they'd try to match that because they're very inconsistent on that front.

The only thing I can think of that might be similar between Thoth and SuperStar is a detachable keyboard; that'd be a weird design choice though, and I don't see why it'd affect how they present the resolution. My guess: they just think 800x480 looks bigger to a flaming idiot than 480x800, so they artificially differentiate the line-up that way :D

You're right - this is weird, and it's probably not even that their marketing material would show it as landscape or portrait and they'd try to match that because they're very inconsistent on that front.

The only thing I can think of that might be similar between Thoth and SuperStar is a detachable keyboard; that'd be a weird design choice though, and I don't see why it'd affect how they present the resolution. My guess: they just think 800x480 looks bigger to a flaming idiot than 480x800, so they artificially differentiate the line-up that way :D

Yup it's def. wrierd. That 3.7"size seems funky to lol Why not 3.6 or3.8 ?

What interests me most is whether superstar or star will have slideout keyboard like xperia/tp.
Thoth will be too big to be considered 'phone' more like mini-netbook and I want "nano-netbook" :LOL:

Give us 4" screen device with slideout keyboard based preferably on snapdragon with HDMI and usb host (probably many tech geeks want something like that :p).
It would be a great alternative to x86 netbook.
Smaller, better battery life but unfortunately probably more expensive.

I hope that if not HTC then samsung or LG will show us this year similarly specced device cause putting 600mhz snapdragon on device that lacks slideout QWERTY keyboard is a disgrace (remember snapdragon prototype called anchorage? - with few changes it could be the ultimate PPC mostly thanks to big screen, compact design and slideout keyboard).

Sorry for a little OT but I can't understand what they are waiting for?!
They should show us at least dozen new snapdragon devices the same goes to tegra and omap3.
We are waiting for those devices since the first time we've heard about those SoC's and yet they still make us wait even longer.

I hope that you can understand my frustration ;)

Dunno, lately I've been finding myself not really waiting for those chipsets anymore (and there arn't going to be on the market t'ill the very end of 2009 and Q1 2010). As seen in the latest vids ( the MIX09 session) the MSM72001a is currelty running WM6.5 smoothly and if devs really know what they are doing (SPB for ex the new HTC touchflo album compared to the old) the MSM7XXX can do quite a lot in the UI departement (see the new CNN Xperia panel www.pocketnow.com).
Me wants a Diamond 2!

The CNN panel is nice and a good implementation, but it's still pretty damn basic visually. Compared to even the LG Arena which is OpenVG-based, it looks primitive; and compared to what you could do with OpenGL ES 2.0 in theory, I don't think there's any comparison. Of course, that's just pure eye candy at this point and has zero practical benefit but heh. Either way this is mostly about implementation, I'm sure there will be plenty of awful UIs on OGL ES 2.0...

I think most of those chipsets (except OMAP3 which is a bit earlier) will have the very first devices in Q3 and quite a few more in Q4, with probably yet some more announced at MWC10. The next-gen stuff (45nm OMAP3, 40nm Tegra, etc.) will be 4Q10 at best in phones, IMO.

The CNN panel is nice and a good implementation, but it's still pretty damn basic visually. Compared to even the LG Arena which is OpenVG-based, it looks primitive; and compared to what you could do with OpenGL ES 2.0 in theory, I don't think there's any comparison. Of course, that's just pure eye candy at this point and has zero practical benefit but heh. Either way this is mostly about implementation, I'm sure there will be plenty of awful UIs on OGL ES 2.0...

I think most of those chipsets (except OMAP3 which is a bit earlier) will have the very first devices in Q3 and quite a few more in Q4, with probably yet some more announced at MWC10. The next-gen stuff (45nm OMAP3, 40nm Tegra, etc.) will be 4Q10 at best in phones, IMO.

LG S-Class (as on ne Arena) doesn't look that bad on the WM LG GM730 (needs some optimisation here and there but it will hopefully be fixed in the final release) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PyxuM6aPmc

Q3 and Q4 is too far away.... not nice :cry:
Either way I hope that at least those devices won't disappoint and will be worth waiting for.

You know whether 40nm tegra will be still arm11 or finally cortex A8?

Q3 and Q4 is too far away.... not nice :cry:
Either way I hope that at least those devices won't disappoint and will be worth waiting for.
Well yeah, heh... At least Tegra and Snapdragon were never supposed to be earlier than mid-2009 for branded OEM phones - it's just everything else (ODM phones, MIDs, PNDs, etc.) that got really badly delayed, with presumably some projects also getting canned.

You know whether 40nm tegra will be still arm11 or finally cortex A8?
Uhm, it will obviously be Cortex-A9 based... Not sure how you could even consider any other possibility? :)

Well yeah, heh... At least Tegra and Snapdragon were never supposed to be earlier than mid-2009 for branded OEM phones - it's just everything else (ODM phones, MIDs, PNDs, etc.) that got really badly delayed, with presumably some projects also getting canned.
Still I hoped that maybe at least few devices would come before the summer...

Uhm, it will obviously be Cortex-A9 based... Not sure how you could even consider any other possibility? :)
I just thought that Q410 was too early for cortex A9 :oops:

I decided that my next phone will be based on either snapdragon or tegra so its not encouraging knowing that something I want to buy won't come for at least next few months... at least I will be able to save some money for it ;)

Yeah, and worldwide release too, friggin' finally! I've been using the Zune Software as my main media player (other one being VLC so I don't have to install codecs) for a while now and was looking to buy a Zune. Hopefully the marketplace will come to Europe as well.

Anyway, about Tegra, with programmable P/V shaders, is MS preparing to market the ZUNE HD as a portable XBOX (Arcade) or do you guys think this will be phase 2 only? You already can deploy XNA games to the Zune but MS has been very sheepish about it. Tegra should allow much more freedom.

Yeah, and worldwide release too, friggin' finally! I've been using the Zune Software as my main media player (other one being VLC so I don't have to install codecs) for a while now and was looking to buy a Zune. Hopefully the marketplace will come to Europe as well.

Anyway, about Tegra, with programmable P/V shaders, is MS preparing to market the ZUNE HD as a portable XBOX (Arcade) or do you guys think this will be phase 2 only? You already can deploy XNA games to the Zune but MS has been very sheepish about it. Tegra should allow much more freedom.

My guess is that the Zune HD is kind of a stop gap (like WM 6.5) before the release of Windows Mobile 7 (wich will include full Zune support) phones in late 2010. MS' Windows Mobile division (wich now includes parts of the Zune division and Danger) is finaly starting to gear up big time. 2009/2010 is going to be interesting in the mobile space and it looks like the Monster (MS) finaly woke up.

My guess is that the Zune HD is kind of a stop gap (like WM 6.5) before the release of Windows Mobile 7 (wich will include full Zune support) phones in late 2010. MS' Windows Mobile division (wich now includes parts of the Zune division and Danger) is finaly starting to gear up big time. 2009/2010 is going to be interesting in the mobile space and it looks like the Monster (MS) finaly woke up.

Most bloggers assume that zune HD will have early version of wm7 and that it will show what wm7 will be when it comes to market. I hope they are right.

Back