Nvidia Pascal Reviews [1080XP, 1080ti, 1080, 1070ti, 1070, 1060, 1050, and 1030]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Love_In_Rio, May 17, 2016.

1. A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y

Regular

Maybe you should ask yourself the same question.

2. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Fermi definitely brought a lot of changes but poor execution killed a lot of the excitement. People are just happy to finally see some progress with the move to 16nm. For me the price totally kills it because it probably means no big Pascal anytime soon. We need more competition.

3. Razor1

Veteran

Fermi was delayed (execution as you stated), but its performance to the amount of power consumption it had weren't that good, specially when you compared to what the competition had and at the price it was.

4. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

It's just a reflection of the stagnation of the main APIs in terms of elements of the graphics pipeline. When there aren't any major new features, there's no reason to ditch an already efficient architecture for something new. Fermi added tessellation. Kepler didn't really add anything. Maxwell added some minor DX12 features. All very incremental. All mostly focused on improving efficiency. Pascal is no different.

5. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

So, it's just a skrink... ?

6. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

„Full Precision“ - that's why I asked Nvidia in the first place and they as well said „nope“. Of course, it can use FP16, but not faster than FP32 and with tailored tests it maybe even slower due to possible twice the register usage (which would make sense for real 2× FP16).

I'm not - already wrote it in my review, because... see above. :)

7. Ext3h

Regular Newcomer

What I noticed, is that a couple of reviewers got confused by the term "Async Compute", using it both for the DX11 extension for explicit preemption by high priority context, and the asynchronous queues in DX12. And mixing these together badly, stating that Pascal would now fully support Async Compute in DX12 because it can do preemption now, or that Maxwell could perform the context switch (the reassignment of SMMs) in DX12 at draw call borders. o_O

I would say NVs marketing for fuzzing this term was a complete success.

egoless, Lightman, Malo and 1 other person like this.
  8. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Razor1 and pharma like this.
  9. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

Yeah, is the same as Maxwell, the changes, if really any, must be in the compiler. See AoTS with async activated at 4K, less performance than with it desactivated:

http://www.computerbase.de/2016-05/...agramm-ashes-of-the-singularity-async-compute

Curiously that doesn´t happen at 1080p because there must be more SMs iddle that kick in the compute jobs.

Not async compute in sight.

#109 Love_In_Rio, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  10. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

That's incorrect. Unless you're claiming nVidia is outright lying about dynamic load balancing in Pascal. AOTS performance is really not proof of anything as we have no idea if Oxide's implementation is Pascal friendly. Other reviews actually showed gains with async enabled.

The way I see it Pascal's dynamic load balancing is functionally equivalent to GCN's async shaders. At least I haven't seen anything to indicate otherwise.

Pre-emption is something else entirely, i.e. an explicit interrupt for high priority tasks.

11. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

Yes, preemption and async are different. Sebbi explained greatly. Nvidia didn´t talk about async, only preemption and it improved its granularity in Pascal, compiler level doable.

Async in AoTS are compute tasks. The feature is called async-compute but you can run it like an "async-compute" architecture (ala GCN) capable of running at the same time both compute and graphics tasks at CU level or fully using entirely a SM for compute or graphics like Nvidia does.

#111 Love_In_Rio, May 18, 2016
  12. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Funny note: AotS's settings.ini denotes „AC on“ as „AsyncComputeOff=0“. I wonder how much confusion this already created; I sure as hell had to rerun my first set of benchmarks with AotS a couple of months ago. :)

Lightman and homerdog like this.
  13. Infinisearch

Veteran Regular

preemption isn't controlled by the compiler... at best it's controlled by the driver.

14. elect

Newcomer

Could you link it, please?

15. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

elect likes this.
  16. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

Simply matching Pascal would be a big deal for AMD. It would bring them back to a situation they haven't known since Kepler was launched.

17. Razor1

Veteran

Highly unlikely they matched em, if you take their best case as 2.0 (stated at the financial call last Q's) over their current midrange, which is Tonga, their best perf/watt chip. 95 watts will give ya Tonga performance. They might have closed the gap a little bit, but I'm thinking the gap pretty much stayed the same.

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y likes this.
  18. pjbliverpool

pjbliverpool B3D Scallywag
    Legend

pharma likes this.
  19. Razor1

Veteran

20. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

#120 Love_In_Rio, May 18, 2016