Nvidia Pascal Announcement

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-PCB-4-900x600.jpg

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-PCB-2-900x629.jpg

http://videocardz.com/59818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-taken-apart

Personally I see high-end as the biggest possible GPU die for a certain GPU generation and process.
You define it as the fastest GPU at a certain time. Any suggestion for making this distinction clear welcome.
Did you consider the 7970 a high-end GPU when it came out? Or did AMD not have a high-end GPU for 18 months until the R9 290X was introduced?

Speaking of which, the R9 390X is decidedly mid-end today, based on the same die, since Fury X now holds that crown. So a 7970 was actually low-end. ;)

So, basically, using your line of thinking, AMD didn't have a high-end GPU from January 2012 to June 2015!

I never saw anyone complaining about AMD selling low-end 7970 and mid-end R9 290X for high-end prices, that's something only Nvidia ever gets accused of.

IMO the only thing that makes people use this argument is the name of the die ending with 04. My suggestion to Nvidia is to start using a random generator from now on...

I think it will go up too. But it's not going to challenge the GeForce business in any way.
Agreed,
but also consider the insane profit margin, further influenced with the largest clients being direct sales rather than margins adjusted for sales channel.
When they are charging $10k minimum for a Tesla P100, and just one European lab supercomputer orders 4,500 it puts it into perspective.
It is not going to take too many years to equal the business of GeForce, when it combines supercomputers/HPC-cloud/Deep Learning-training.
Is the Quadro seen as GeForce business or related to rest of professional business?
Cheers

(Of course, rhat's nothing compared to the chatter about Polaris where showing demos behind a black curtain was ultimate proof of AMD being months ahead...)

Hey look everyone, pcper has a special camera that was able to see through a black curtain back in early January:

Woooow!!

And it's not only pcper. MaximumPC, Gamers Nexus and Notebookcheck all have these super-special military-grade alien-technology cameras that can record through black curtains!
These hardware enthusiast websites must have some overwhelming funding from all the ad clicks they get from us. I wonder why they don't make their own cards, given their access to such state-of-the-art technology.

That's not proof of AMD being ahead of nV at all, nV was able to get cards out before AMD even though AMD was showing their cards in a public settings before nV. What does that say, hmm

1) nV was actually ahead of AMD, they just didn't need to market their cards so AMD wouldn't know what was coming
2) AMD has some issues with polaris at the time they showed them to the public so they sent the silicon back to fabs for correction
3) AMD was waiting for nV to release their cards to see what they were up against
4) AMD was creating awareness that thier next gen chips will have a great perf/watt advantage which would nerf their current offerings and they will be competitive with next gen products.

What are the possibilities of AMD not coming out with Polaris till next quarter, if that happens, that shortens the window of opportunity to take advantage of GP106's absence and the entire TAM strategy AMD has been saying would fall apart. Then we have a whole new set of possibilities or reasons if that happens.

That's not proof of AMD being ahead of nV at all

That post didn't comment on who was ahead of whom.
It was just a satire directed at the completely ridiculous "black curtain" comment.

As for nvidia being able to "get cards out", like many people here have said we still have to see if it'll be "getting cards out to the public" or "getting cards out to reviewers and a dozen cards to the rest of the world".
That "early bird" extra tax of $100 may suggest it'll be some time until OEMs get their hands on their own production models, but we'll see.

Regardless, at least Polaris 11 is targeting laptops so it makes sense that AMD will let laptop makers ride the thunder of its announcement during Computex when they announce their new models. It wouldn't be smart to announce a new mobile GPU without showing any design wins shortly thereafter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you consider the 7970 a high-end GPU when it came out? Or did AMD not have a high-end GPU for 18 months until the R9 290X was introduced?

No 7970 was high end with a die close to the max feasible as was it's 250 TDP.
I don't have any hard evidence if there was a max die size for all the revisions of the 28nm process during the last 4 year, so feel free to enlighten me.
Could also be yield related.

Thaiti, Haiti and Fiji are different GCN architectures, as will be Polaris.

Oh sorry, it's a premium. For a shroud. My bad.

So they've said.

If nV places this Founder's Card with aluminum shroud at the same price as partner's reg boards, what is the use of getting the partner's cards? I would just get the one with the aluminum shroud one wouldn't you?

For people that want the card asap, yeah get that one, if that card and shroud mean so much to them, others just wait two or three weeks.

What is it then? $100 Early Bird tax or $100 aluminum shroud tax?

How many founders cards do you think will be available come Q3?

Would nvidia charge a $100 premium for a card that whose premium status would only last 2 weeks? Hum...

do you think they went into mass production without being able to deliver? Do you want to see the same problems they had with 6800 ultra, and ATi's issues with their x800xtx's? Months of loss of profits? I think that would show up pretty quickly, specially more now with a greater marketshare to look after.

Hey look everyone, pcper has a special camera that was able to see through a black curtain back in early January:

Woooow!!

And it's not only pcper. MaximumPC, Gamers Nexus and Notebookcheck all have these super-special military-grade alien-technology cameras that can record through black curtains!
These hardware enthusiast websites must have some overwhelming funding from all the ad clicks they get from us. I wonder why they don't make their own cards, given their access to such state-of-the-art technology.
well I don't see the card, do you ?
that's the point.
here "black curtain" is literally the mini-itx case

well I don't see the card, do you ?
that's the point.
here "black curtain" is literally the mini-itx case

But nvidia showing a presumed GTX 1080 in a PC connected to a projector that is nowhere to be seen, along with not letting the press have a hands-down after the event, is fair game?
Give me a break..

they gave cards to reviewers the next day........

They even showed pictures of giving cards out to reviewers.

And reviewers have shown pictures of the cards in their hands when they got back to their work place or home........

There are others in other languages.

Last edited:
But nvidia showing a presumed GTX 1080 in a PC connected to a projector that is nowhere to be seen, along with not letting the press have a hands-down after the event, is fair game?
Give me a break..
As Razor said, Nvidia gave hundreds of cards to reviewers the same day. Everything they showed at the event could be demolished the next day if they tried to "cheat"
On the other side, Polaris close doors demo gave no information on card specs, no information about game settings except 60fps cap. AMD could tweak the game settings and/or do some sneaky system setup to obtain the most favorable result, nobody could have check.
Sorry, but no, it's not the same case at all and I don't even know how we can argue :no:

As Razor said, Nvidia gave hundreds of cards to reviewers the same day. Everything they showed at the event could be demolished the next day if they tried to "cheat"
On the other side, Polaris close doors demo gave no information on card specs, no information about game settings except 60fps cap. AMD could tweak the game settings and/or do some sneaky system setup to obtain the most favorable result, nobody could have check.
Sorry, but no, it's not the same case at all and I don't even know how we can argue :no:

Yeah, but....

upload_2016-5-11_15-43-51.png

Back