Nvidia Pascal Announcement

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by huebie, Apr 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pharma

Veteran Regular

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...070-faster-than-titan-x-at-a-much-lower-price

jbq.junior01 likes this.
  2. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Yeah ties into my points quite awhile ago with the native single pass rendering multiple windows or points of view as they are aligned technologies as seen in the presentation around 55mins and 1hr 4mins.
    Still would be great to know how it is implemented in Pascal though as it looks to be very interesting not just for VR but also as the article mentions correcting 3d environments across 2-3 screens.
    Cheers

#682 CSI PC, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  3. Ext3h

Regular Newcomer

Looks like the viewport is allowed to be a non-linear transformation now, and you may choose a different projection matrix per viewport?

Latter one should have been possible before, if you amplified via the geometry shader and the used the viewport-array extension to route accordingly. The first one wasn't yet, and it wasn't accessible before at all, since it happened only after scissoring and culling anything outside the viewport.

Change in hardware might be, that the viewport transformation is now actually represented by a regular 3x3/4x4 matrix, and not just a packed float array consisting of offset + prescaler for both axis. Sounds at least like the simplest explanation.

Is scissoring and clipping to the viewport performed by a shader program chained to the last vertex stage or "in hardware" inside the raster engine? That would either make this a soft- or an actual hardware modification.

(I was actually always under the impression that the viewport was expressed by a full matrix, not just a compacted form, and that the interfaces only letting you specify scale and offset were just oversimplifying stuff. That's why I first assumed it had been possible before.)

#683 Ext3h, May 8, 2016
  4. Infinisearch

Veteran Regular

Did they only give out only 1080's to reviewers or did they give out 1070's too?

5. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I am very interested about EU pricing for 1070. In my country its gonna be astronomic, but maybe I can get my hands on imported card [or more likely, cheaper Polaris 10].

6. renderstate

Newcomer

Scissoring and clipping is typically done in HW. Also I'd be surprised if they changed the viewport transform since it would effect such a major API feature and it would require an API update. It's more likely they simply allow to project a vertex twice in the vertex shader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

So far only read reviewers saying or showing they received a 1080.
    Cheers

8. Razor1

Veteran

Are they doing it via hardware or is it a combination of hardware and software? SDK that developers have to implement into their engines/games so the view ports are merged and transposed properly?

9. TomRL

Newcomer

Has Nvidia said anything about async? Does it have any chance of competing with AMD on async? For the sake of future-proofing, this might be what decides my next gpu.

10. pharma

Veteran Regular

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1912144/

11. Razor1

Veteran

You will get more info on this in the reviews but async compute yeah its in there.

#691 Razor1, May 8, 2016
  12. Razor1

Veteran

Grall, BRiT and iroboto like this.
  13. pharma

Veteran Regular

14. Esrever

Regular Newcomer

The reason this exists is because there is only the reference design at launch and likely will only be reference designs for months. So they can sell the card for $100 more and market it to people with a work like Founder's edition.

Razor1 likes this.
  15. Voxilla

Regular

Anybody knows why simultaneous multiprojection doubles speed in VR.
    I understand vertex processing overhead is reduced by 2.

But I would think you also need to double triangle rasterization speed.
    and also double shading and ROP speed.

homerdog likes this.
  16. Ext3h

Regular Newcomer

The demonstration did on purpose use a high res model, so vertex overhead was the limiting factor.

For VR headsets, it's not so much the simultaneous projection of both eyes, but the slicing of the original viewport to better match the distortion, so you don't waste rasterization speed on triangles which would otherwise only have gotten downscaled in a final lense correction post processing step.

17. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Thank you for finding and posting this. Means you saved me the equivalent of $100. ;)

Oh, Nvidia... Never stop being you.

Razor1 likes this.
  18. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

19. Love_In_Rio

Veteran

#699 Love_In_Rio, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
  20. pharma

Veteran Regular

Lol ... you really need to wait till the reviews come out.