Nvidia GT300 core: Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping that my fishing trip, first time in ages for NVidia, would turn up more but oh well.

It's not my bedtime I was just bored this evening and didn't feel like either gaming or watching something.

I imagine Tim will be quite excited to see Scan.

Jawed

GDDR5 has CRC, but AFAIK that is generated on the fly and won't detect bit flips in the cells ... it's also not error correcting.

PS. I'm wrong, it is error correcting.

CRC is not error correcting. It however can be used with controller algorithms/designs to retry transactions. This is no different the the CRC/re-trans technologies that have been used for decades in various networking/interconnection/comms designs.

It's only computing CRCs on data bursts, so bit-flips in memory aren't detected. I don't see how this is similar to ECC in server memory. ECC memory actually stores the CRC so that when you later retrieve the value, you can see if there's been an error introduced.

This is incorrect. Server memory does not store CRCs as it won't allow you to correct. The store various ECCs which generally are variants of hamming code.

Really? mixing GDDR5 and ECC are that hard?

Theo disagrees.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2009/8/28/nvidia-plans-gt300-demos-for-late-september.aspx

link from above (jawed's) post.

On a related note, does anyone else get the impression Theo has no idea what he's talking about sometimes?

real ECC/SECDED for graphics without giving up something is going to be hard. I'm not convinced there is enough of a market for x36/x18 GDDR and the granularity really makes doing anything else in the actual memory system difficult.

Hmmmm so "half the planet" believes it has severe hw problems and it won't appear prior to Q2 10 and the other half believes it'll demo as early as September. NV has managed to close all possible leaks since the beginning of this summer, so I'd really love to know where either/or get their supposed infos from. Maybe I should start chewing eucalyptus leaves, hug a tree and claim to be an australian "source". I bet it'll work :eek:

Hmmmm so "half the planet" believes it has severe hw problems and it won't appear prior to Q2 10 and the other half believes it'll demo as early as September. NV has managed to close all possible leaks since the beginning of this summer, so I'd really love to know where either/or get their supposed infos from. Maybe I should start chewing eucalyptus leaves, hug a tree and claim to be an australian "source". I bet it'll work :eek:
I didn't know Aussie sources were koalas...

If you take Charlie's fast-track story you'll end up with a mid-September availability of those chips. in the best of all possible cases they could have GT300 up and running at the time the HD5 series goes on sale. Retail availability still won't be there in 2009, but a demo in their own September event has to be achieved if they want to have the slightest change at debunking NV30=GT300.

On the other hand, there's still this group that has GT300 as a radical new design that's much smaller than GT200 and that has been secretly implanted in a lot of devices to take over the world, once again.

If you take Charlie's fast-track story you'll end up with a mid-September availability of those chips. in the best of all possible cases they could have GT300 up and running at the time the HD5 series goes on sale. Retail availability still won't be there in 2009, but a demo in their own September event has to be achieved if they want to have the slightest change at debunking NV30=GT300.

On the other hand, there's still this group that has GT300 as a radical new design that's much smaller than GT200 and that has been secretly implanted in a lot of devices to take over the world, once again.

I don't want to take any Charlie's or any Theo's stories for any kind of reference. Just read back a couple of posts and you'll know why.

On the other hand of the other hand it's still uncertain if D12U is a rather "revolutionary" or "evolutionary" design. If it's the latter history will just repeat itself; if it's the first there's more than one individual and his typical entourage that will have some explaining to do. It's in the best interest of the consumer just in case you missed it that we see as much progress as possible and I personally don't care where it comes from since I don't have either any interests, agendas or ulterior motives. Don't ask yourself; ask those who have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back