NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

*cough* you're making up excuses *cough*

In other words, you're spinning.

Nah, I wasn't the one to make that up. I was actually trying to be gracious in including the spin that you put forth a few posts back.

Man there's just no pleasing people these days.

So tweaked GF100, paper launch Nov 8, availability 2011, no single card crown and potentially no single GPU crown either? Merry Christmas indeed.

Still curious to see what GF11x brings though. Simply the tweaks to GTX 580 applied to GF104 and friends?

Maybe the title "It's the fastest graphics card between $350 and $450" would be a more realistic view on things.
Indeed, "performance crown" is rather misused lately. Nvidia cards are being beaten across the board for a year now, and I hoped Nvidia will come up with something much better than GF100b, lack of competition sucks :???: AMD is already refreshing top to bottom, and if NV wont pull a miracle, we'll see another year of AMD domination.

Why GF100b isnt launched this year in the first place? If Charlie is correct of course. Bug fixed respin doesnt require a year or more, as bad as initial Fermi was. Take R600 for example, it took ~6 months for a fixed respin. If not in a hurry, AMD managed to get out new generation (Caymans) within a year, and thats with canceled 32nm. Was Fermi state that bad, even tweaked respin takes longer than a year? :eek:

I think you got it backwards there. Fermi wasn't anywhere near as bad as R600 hence there was far less urgency to replace it. The "Fermi is broken" hype is just smoking Charlie's grass. From a end user perspective it runs hot but beyond that it performs well and has a lot of attractive features. Prior flops have had poor performance as their main disadvantage which is not the case for Fermi so the hysteria is really overblown.

Oh, really? :LOL: Then what are you smoking? :LOL:
Fermi ala GF100 is not only Hot, but expensive to manufacture and its street price is too high, power hungry, your electrical bills are too high, it needs noisy cooling, etc, etc. :LOL: Total fail from every single point of view... Are we building gaming solutions or niche products for satisfying someone's ego? :LOL:

When you CEO announces that the new chip has "up to 512 Shaders" .. people will think that there will actually be products available with 512 Shaders.
And then, people will start writing forum posts about what they think has been a product promised? ;)

Fermi ala GF100 is not only Hot, but expensive to manufacture and its street price is too high, power hungry, your electrical bills are too high, it needs noisy cooling, etc, etc. :LOL: Total fail from every single point of view... Are we building gaming solutions or niche products for satisfying someone's ego? :LOL:

So you just took my comment about hysteria and wanted to prove my point huh? Expensive to manufacture? Why do I care about that unless I own nVidia stock? Electrical bills too high? I have a job and $5 doesn't phase me. Noisy cooling? Not any noisier than past cards.

Again...your post is a clear example of the hysterics I was talking about. Thanks for illustrating it so nicely :)

And then, people will start writing forum posts about what they think has been a product promised? ;)

Yes, I thought you would see it that way. NV didn't lie because they didn't actually say which product would have 512CC. Just like they didn't lie about the TDP etc, since they never mentioned the TDP to consumers.

Yes, I thought you would see it that way. NV didn't lie because they didn't actually say which product would have 512CC. Just like they didn't lie about the TDP etc, since they never mentioned the TDP to consumers.
Well, personally I don't care. In the end they're all lying in some way or another. But if it makes you happy: I didn't buy a GTX 480, because it never felt like the real deal, you know? Top-of-the-stack, but still not a fully enabled chip.

A Nvidia PR slide presented by Nvidia representatives to the press that clearly says "GF100" across the top of it isn't enough for you? No, I guess it wouldn't be...
For a promised product they didn't deliver? No, it is not enough, because they were quite clear about it from the beginning that they were talking about GPU-level not product level. It was enought, though, that I did (not) what I did. See above.

AMD can market HD5830 as a part with 1600 SPs. It would be fair, wouldn't it? It has 1600 SPs at GPU level. Maybe some of them are switched off at product level, but who cares? ;)

Did nVidia market the 480 as having 512 cores? You guys don't need to fish for stuff to ding nVidia with. There's enough real crap to sling their way.

For a promised product they didn't deliver? No, it is not enough, because they were quite clear about it from the beginning that they were talking about GPU-level not product level. It was enought, though, that I did (not) what I did. See above.

Cut them all the slack you want, give them all the excuses you want. Nvidia just couldn't make a viable product with the features they promised. That's why they had to cut Fermi down, volt the living daylights out of what was left, why it needs to be re-vamped into a new product line straight away, and why it's killing their profits.

It is indeed broken, despite the manager of the pet shop assuring us it's "only sleeping" where it's obviously been nailed to it's perch. You can give it a nudge and cry "it moved!", but watch it shuffle off this mortal coil as soon as Nvidia can make it go.

Fermi ala GF100 is not only Hot, but expensive to manufacture and its street price is too high, power hungry, your electrical bills are too high, it needs noisy cooling, etc, etc. :LOL:
C'mon, problems of gf100 is really overhyped by amd marketing team(funny that amd prefer to put money into advertisement about gf100 power consumption and heat, rather than into promotion of dx11 features to games that they are forget for the strange reason right after gf100 launch:LOL:), amd marketing hog - Charly, by press and ofcourse by AMD fans itself, they are all incline public opinion to failure side. If you think gf100's heat and noise are inacceptable, than you should think why something like XBOX360 is so popular, even if it loud as a vac, heat and burn as hell(my first 360 died because of overheating like thousands of others consoles) and expensive as submarine(at 90nm)

I think you got it backwards there. Fermi wasn't anywhere near as bad as R600 hence there was far less urgency to replace it. The "Fermi is broken" hype is just smoking Charlie's grass. From a end user perspective it runs hot but beyond that it performs well and has a lot of attractive features. Prior flops have had poor performance as their main disadvantage which is not the case for Fermi so the hysteria is really overblown.
Did you get a GTX480 in the end?

Did you get a GTX480 in the end?

Nope 460, sweetly overclocked to 850Mhz. The 480 wasn't attractive enough and the 460 is plenty fast enough for the backlog of games I'm still working through. Though I didn't realize my personal purchase decisions were a yardstick by which to measure the viability of nVidia's products or justification for the mass hysteria over GF100 :)

C'mon, problems of gf100 is really overhyped by amd marketing team

Well the folks who actually own one seem to be happy. When you have people screaming from the rooftops about power consumption differences that are less than a single lightbulb then you know you're in loony territory.

Тhat's exactly what I am talking about. You are proving that GF100 is not good, and it needed that step in the right direction to make you own it...
If they make 580 using 460 as a base, then it will be a much more acceptable product for the gamers, not only for different cuda, muda and stuff that sucks... :LOL:

C'mon, problems of gf100 is really overhyped by amd marketing team(funny that amd prefer to put money into advertisement about gf100 power consumption and heat, rather than into promotion of dx11 features to games that they are forget for the strange reason right after gf100 launch:LOL:), amd marketing hog - Charly, by press and ofcourse by AMD fans itself, they are all incline public opinion to failure side. If you think gf100's heat and noise are inacceptable, than you should think why something like XBOX360 is so popular, even if it loud as a vac, heat and burn as hell(my first 360 died because of overheating like thousands of others consoles) and expensive as submarine(at 90nm)

Right, it's all AMD marketing, because we all know how good they are, and they made what… one video?

Plus, isn't Jen-Hsun Huang the one who said "Performance/Watt is performance!"?

Back