Nvidia gains market share, ATI dips a bit

9200s and below are still *extremely* common in laptops. if I had to guess, I'd say 2 out of 3 laptops that don't use Intel video use some form of non-DX9 Radeon.

not sure if notebooks factor into that total marketshare number, but if you look at the notebook numbers, yeah, 69% ATI (wooh, go superguessing!).

You are looking at about ~1/5 of the overall marketshare apportioned to mobiles, with ~1/10 discrete notebook graphics.

According to Mercury Research, what is the baseline to be considered a "performance" card? Is it a 6600 Plain/GT or something slightly higher like a plain 6800? On ATI's side is it a X600/X700/9800 or more along the lines of the X800?

IIRC, last year Mercury Research didn't count 9600 as mid range card because it has less than 100 million transistors.

Tweaker said:
IIRC, last year Mercury Research didn't count 9600 as mid range card because it has less than 100 million transistors.

Curiously it didn't count 9800 either.

At my local Best Buy 9200-based cards occupy probably 40 percent of the shelf space given to ATI cards, so I think ATI is still selling a boatload at this point.

Coming from the perspective of an American retailer (CC), ATI OEMS have dropped recently. This includes HP, Compaq, Sony, EMachines, and now Gateway. When PCI-Express first came out there were a bunch of ATI discrete cards. Now only Sony seems to be interested in the ATI cards (and Sony is way way overpriced). I have personally seen a huge expansion of Intel integrated over the past 2 years, where there used to be Nvidia.

THere are also way too many 9200's in the laptop market. Blah! We have been getting an increased number of discrete Nvidia chipsets in HP laptops which is nice to see instead of the huge numbers of integrated SiS and Intel.

CMAN said:
Coming from the perspective of an American retailer (CC), ATI OEMS have dropped recently. This includes HP, Compaq, Sony, EMachines, and now Gateway. When PCI-Express first came out there were a bunch of ATI discrete cards. Now only Sony seems to be interested in the ATI cards (and Sony is way way overpriced). I have personally seen a huge expansion of Intel integrated over the past 2 years, where there used to be Nvidia.

THere are also way too many 9200's in the laptop market. Blah! We have been getting an increased number of discrete Nvidia chipsets in HP laptops which is nice to see instead of the huge numbers of integrated SiS and Intel.

Hard to substantiate what you're saying from the OEM online stores. Gateway's 7200 desktop PCI-E series is ATI across the board, and the only discrete slot in the 5200 line is also X300SE.

HP/CPQ notebooks are still largely ATI/Intel. The only discrete NVDA slots in the consumer space sport the ancient GF4 Go:

Pavilion line

Presario line

Business DTR and Thin and light notebooks.

Back