Nvidia gains market share, ATI dips a bit

Florin

Merrily dodgy
Veteran
Supporter
This might've been posted already because it's 2 days old and thus ancient, but I couldn't find it, not even in the thread about the previous report. So here goes.

According to this Xbit Labs article there's a new Mercury Research report out which talks about graphics market share.

Here's a tidbit:
The most-recent study from leading market tracking company Mercury Research shows that the market share gap between leading graphics processors suppliers ATI Technologies and NVIDIA Corp. is closing, as the latter gains share across all segments, while the former loses parts of the markets it controls. Still, both firms as well as market leader Intel Corp. enjoy shipments growth.

One possible explanation that is mentioned:
ATI’s market share slips are likely to be a result of ATI’s partial inability to ship enough products made using low-k manufacturing process: during the most-recent conference call ATI’s top managers said the company faced certain volume restrictions with 0.13 micron low-k fabrication process. Additionally, the company experienced certain issues with availability of some other products in different market segments. In the coming quarter ATI is projected to be ramping up its production using 0.11 micron process technology.

Considering the retail market and the shift. This really does not surprise me much. But good to see its evening out.

problem for ATI still is no AGP parts and nothing against the GF6600GT and 6200 line.
The x800XL is too expensive. No competition for the 6600GT which is available for 160 to 180 Euros

Richthofen said:
problem for ATI still is no AGP parts and nothing against the GF6600GT and 6200 line.
The x800XL is too expensive. No competition for the 6600GT which is available for 160 to 180 Euros

True, but ATI does have the OEM's locked up... which is where the real money is!

Richthofen said:
you might have a case on the 6600gt with performance, but they are still selling 9800's here and there are well known. 6200's are around the same price as 9500 pro's/xt's and these are going to have similar, if not better, performance and are also easily available.

x800 xl is not intended as competition for the 6600 gt, its going against 6800 gt. x800 is intended as competition for the 6600 gt. both of these have to get through in high volumes yet though.

I think this is the case due to a number of reasons.

a) SLi combined with nvidia PR is producing quite a bit of hype.

b) Production shortcomings on ATI's part, in both PCIE and AGP for the all but the OEM segment.

c) The push by enthusiasts for AMD + nforce 4 systems.

This is caused by ATi selling old tech relative to nV at every price point but $400 and up--and nV pretty much wins at $400, too, thanks to the 6800GT. ATi should get a $200-300 AGP contender out there, already. Can't they sell a X800P with only 128MB to compete with the 6800?

I guess not, what with all their BS product launches. The X700XT was hot air, the X800 at $200 is hot air, and the X800XL at $300 is hot air. ATI is pushing a whole lotta hype (and, recently, PR). I'm guessing they forgot how nV fell to second place? Or do they think it was all due to manufacturing problems?

They're still competitive, but they're in second place in the benchmarks in pretty much everything but the high end, AFAIK (I forget how the X300 fares against the 6200). They might want to do something about that.

They're still competitive, but they're in second place in the benchmarks in pretty much everything but the high end, AFAIK (I forget how the X300 fares against the 6200). They might want to do something about that.

Not true. The X800 XL is about equal to the 6800 GT in everything but Doom 3 and the X800 is a fair amount faster then the 6600 GT. As has been said, their lack of availibility is what's hurting them most.

My point exactly. I don't give a flying fig if the X700XT, X800, and X800XL beat their nV competition in previews. The cards aren't available at anywhere near retail price quite a while after "launch," and they're not available in AGP form.

Not to be combative, but I don't think anything I said is untrue from a retail consumer's perspective (which I imagine defines the majority of board members here). Maybe this is a result of ATi being ahead of the curve WRT PCIe. Initially, I thought their plans made good business sense, and I'm all for maintaining a platform--but not while your competitors is leaving you behind.

Still, I've heard complaints of the 6600GT's IQ, so maybe ATi isn't that far behind, all things being equal. But the 9800P and XT get their hat handed to them in the vast majority of benchmarks I've seen, and the X800 and XL are a long time coming.

Pete said:
My point exactly. I don't give a flying fig if the X700XT, X800, and X800XL beat their nV competition in previews. The cards aren't available at anywhere near retail price quite a while after "launch," and they're not available in AGP form.

Not to be combative, but I don't think anything I said is untrue from a retail consumer's perspective (which I imagine defines the majority of board members here). Maybe this is a result of ATi being ahead of the curve WRT PCIe. Initially, I thought their plans made good business sense, and I'm all for maintaining a platform--but not while your competitors is leaving you behind.

Still, I've heard complaints of the 6600GT's IQ, so maybe ATi isn't that far behind, all things being equal. But the 9800P and XT get their hat handed to them in the vast majority of benchmarks I've seen, and the X800 and XL are a long time coming.

Your sentiments accurately reflect those of shareholders on the ATYT Yahoo message board. R430/R480 should have been shipping in volume weeks ago, and we should have been talking about imminent shipments of the AGP versions today. Instead, the delays just keep getting longer and the excuses weaker. I certainly hope they get their act together for the R520 launch, or the mindshare is going to evaporate.

whql said:
x800 xl is not intended as competition for the 6600 gt, its going against 6800 gt. x800 is intended as competition for the 6600 gt. both of these have to get through in high volumes yet though.

True, but the problem is that there's no X800 128 Mb versions at this moment. And the 256 Mb versions are a bit too far from the 6600 GT prices to make them direct competitors.

whql said:
6200's are around the same price as 9500 pro's/xt's and these are going to have similar, if not better, performance and are also easily available.

I'm guessing that you meant 9600 pro's/xt's. And i can find 6600's for pretty much the same price as 9600 XT's.

martrox said:
Richthofen said:

True, but ATI does have the OEM's locked up... which is where the real money is!

I think you mean they had the OEMs locked up.
Of course that was easy against the FX line except the FX5200.

But now with the GF6600 line and GF6200 line that trend is pretty much history and the stock market is already reflecting that slightly.
They will loose OEM market share to Nvidia during the next 2 quaters.
What is going to happen at the end of the year is to early to tell.
But for now Nvidia is gaining ground in all market segments quater by quater.

whql said:
Richthofen said:
you might have a case on the 6600gt with performance, but they are still selling 9800's here and there are well known. 6200's are around the same price as 9500 pro's/xt's and these are going to have similar, if not better, performance and are also easily available.

the 9800 don't have a chance against the GF6600GT.
The 6600GT rapes the 9800 performance and featurewise and is very cost efficient.
0.11 micron production with slightly higher transistor count and 128 bit memory interface versus 0.15 micron production and 256bit memory interface.
I don't think ATI is happy to sell 9800parts at the price tag of a GeForce6600GT or 6600.
The x700 line is nothing but a blow. Bad reputation or image because of the X700Xt beeing vapoware and the X700pro getting slaughtered by the GF6600GT and because of the X700 line not beeing available for AGP.
Really who the hell want's to by a x700pro if he can have the GF6600GT in the same price range.
The X800XL won't reach that price range anyway.

Richthofen said:

I think you can't really predict that accurately. OEMs are going the PCIe route now mostly and the X800 en X800XL are actually starting to show up in decent amounts in retail (at least here in Europe) just like the X850-series. And with all the talk of OEM market being supplied first before the retailmarket, I think the damage to ATi will be minimal in the next quaters.

And prices of those PCIe parts are pretty competitive when compared to nVs offering. You can already buy an X800XL for around €305. Try bying a PCIe 6800GT for that price. 128MB versions of the X800 are a bit hard to find though, but the 256MB versions are going around for €250.

But now with the GF6600 line and GF6200 line that trend is pretty much history and the stock market is already reflecting that slightly.
What is going to happen at the end of the year is to early to tell.
we just had a major oem refresh when all these products were in availability with the alviso notebooks - the oem's chose overwhelmingly in favor of ati - why do you think that is?

the 9800 don't have a chance against the GF6600GT.
The 6600GT rapes the 9800 performance and featurewise and is very cost efficient.
nice way of putting it. but whether it does or doesn't isn't everything, they still have a very strong brand with the 9800's and they are much more available than any of the newer boards still. pricewatch are listing 128mb 9800 pros for less than 6600 gt's at the moment as well.

I don't think ATI is happy to sell 9800parts at the price tag of a GeForce6600GT or 6600.
what does it matter if ati are happy about it or not? fact is they are selling them down in that range and its not as though their margins are hurting from it either.

The x700 line is nothing but a blow. Bad reputation or image because of the X700Xt beeing vapoware and the X700pro getting slaughtered by the GF6600GT and because of the X700 line not beeing available for AGP.
Really who the hell want's to by a x700pro if he can have the GF6600GT in the same price range.
The X800XL won't reach that price range anyway.
Again, x800 xl isn't intented to go down to that price range, x800 (no xl or anything else) is when it reaches mass quantities. this "bad reputation" hardly hurt x700 when oem's were deciding for it of 6600 go did it?

It does appear that NV is doing slightly better according to some Mercury Research numbers posted at the Inquirer tody. I was pretty surprised to see that NV captured a 67% share of all DX9 performance cards shipped for the quarter. The also shipped 53% of all DX9 cards sold. It looks like things have evened out a bit between them in the DX9 sector.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20994

I can't believe they're selling so many 5x00's, not to mention that they shouldn't qualify as DX9 cards since they're all but unusable in that mode.

Its worse looking at it from the otherway - given the marketshare numbers how many 9200's must ATI be selling? :?

Back