NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Rys, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Groo The Wanderer

Regular

OK, shall we talk about the inability for the serial port to do 8-N-1 like it was promised, that was the one that bit me pretty hard. I could go dig my dev docs out of the basement and look for the others, but it has been 10+ years since I last looked at them, so I don't remember the list.

If you worked on making the jag fine, it was a cool piece of hardware, and I like it a lot. Bug free it was not. Neither is any console I have seen the dev kit for.

The problem I am referring to was almost fatal to my project. FWIW, I wrote a mostly full blown TCP/IP stack a somewhat HTML2.0 compliant browser, and a few other utilities for the Jag. I use mostly and somewhat because Atari folded before I could complete it.

They made a breakout box for my project with serial, parallel, mouse and keyboard ports, and only when I was in the middle of doing it did they say that the serial ports were unfixably fuxored, something that they promised would be patched/worked around before I was done. Trust me when I say that hosed my world. A brief look through newsgroup searches can't find references to it, but they are there if you look.

What did you do on the platform, or are you talking out of your (likely to be removed by admins)?

-Charlie

2. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

And that's how real villains are born (joking).

3. thambos

Newcomer

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20091105234423_Nvidia_to_Ramp_Up_Fermi_Graphics_Cards_Only_in_2010.html

article continues...

4. Psycho

Regular

That's not saying a whole lot ;)

5. Rufus

Newcomer

Since when does a broken serial port render an entire console buggy as hell? Sure it's there and some peripherals use it, but it's far from the core functionality of a console. That's like declaring an entire GPU buggy as hell because an integrated I2C fan controller is busted.

6. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

that does not say a lot either.
    except they are fully ramping for the biggest chip only, probably

7. popper

Newcomer

hmm so theres NOTHING New in the shops Werth buying over the christmas season then! thats Odd.

it seems not many non gaming people at least are going to be buying any newest AMD/ATI this year, as their OpenCL codebase just doesnt work on their gfx, and they still dont intent releasing any UVD ASIC documentation for 3rd party devs to finally use in simple video decode/Encode apps etc...

so whats new on the table for intel likely getting your cash this cristmas season!

#1047 popper, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2009
  8. Groo The Wanderer

Regular

It doesn't, there were a lot of others, that is just the one I remember because it bit me.

-Charlie

9. MfA

MfA
    Legend

If you want the best performance per dollars or Watt you will probably try to get it to run just to be able to run the numbers. Of course GPGPU is generally more about generating papers than about generating something useful :p
    Which is very disappointing for the couple hundred people in release groups who would use it ... but really not a big issue in the grand scheme of things.

10. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

UVD is also a DXVA decode device - 3rd party developers just need to code to DXVA...

11. cho

cho
    Regular

12. LunchBox

Regular

You better start remembering the other bugs now... otherwise, your prior statement is moot.

13. mboeller

Regular

and now?

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16342/1/

:(

14. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Now you pray that they'll get something back they can actually start production on come January, add 2-3 months and we'll see Fermi fight a RV870 refresh.
    What Fuad fails to mention is that the chip in the GTX295 was ready for more than one Quarter.

15. Groo The Wanderer

Regular

It honestly isn't worth my time, so I guess you win this one. I'll go and sulk for 3....2....1. OK, over it.

-Charlie

16. Groo The Wanderer

Regular

Gee, I guess this means my timetables were spot on. Do we need to start a new thread for drooling fanboi apologies?

-Charlie

17. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

I guess now Degustator & Ailuros' coming soon bets are off.

18. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

Wait.. it's also smaller than we think (last May!) and.. we'll see board pictures soon (last May).. or do you have more faith in my quote?

19. Florin

Florin Merrily dodgy
    Veteran

That's actually a pretty good idea. C'mon then, get that load off your shoulders Charlie, it should be quite cathartic.

20. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Well that depends. If you're trying to get your game on there's AMD's stuff if you can find it in stock. If you're all about OpenCL and computing then I'm not sure why Christmas season is relevant. There are a lot of cheap cards out there now that you could pick up to get started on the compute side of things, you don't need Fermi for that.