NVIDIA Fermi: Architecture discussion

Running a Cypress system would be an interesting experiment. I'd wonder if even a laboratory's HPC programmers would have the stomach to hack the assembly to get decent compilation.

The payoffs are potentially very good, though. Cypress can do a little over 2 TFLOPs single-precision matrix multiply and 500 GFLOPs DP with a bit of hacking.

Well, if the National SuperComputer Center in Tianjin/NUDT can be #5 in the Top500 using RV770s, it has to be doable...

I will have to defend charlie on this one. There is no way windows is used in supercomputers or development for them, so visual studio is irrelevant.

Try eclipse or good old emacs/vi.

That's ignoring the gist of the post which was to highlight the deficiency on the software side of things. That's the case regardless of operating system or platform.

Until we have reliable indications what the frequencies of the highest end GF100 will be, quite a few performance aspects are still in the air. I for one hope that they can at least hit equivalent GTX285 frequencies, otherwise anything significantly lower than that might end up underwhelming for a new technology generation and even more so a 3.08b transistor chip.

Frequencies aside what is still a quite big and important question mark, are the 3D capabilities of GF100 and if there have been any worthwhile changes to raise efficiency. So far all we know are the HPC/Fermi capabilities which are hardly any serious indication for the former.

I will have to defend charlie on this one. There is no way windows is used in supercomputers or development for them, so visual studio is irrelevant.

I wouldn't say NO way, sure, only 5 of the top 500 supercomputers runs windows.
http://www.top500.org/system/details/9787

And heck, given from what I've seen from nexus, it should be worth developing CUDA kernels and C/C++ code on windows. Both are very portable.

Yeah, NVIDIA just spent resources on something irrelevant...Did you by any chance follow GTC at all ? I suggest you listen to Tech-Reports podcast from that time. Scott describes what can only be seen as excitement and interest in what Fermi is (and its potential) and the tools developed for its use, which btw were mostly requests from people working in that market.

Until we have reliable indications what the frequencies of the highest end GF100 will be, quite a few performance aspects are still in the air. I for one hope that they can at least hit equivalent GTX285 frequencies, otherwise anything significantly lower than that might end up underwhelming for a new technology generation and even more so a 3.08b transistor chip.

Frequencies aside what is still a quite big and important question mark, are the 3D capabilities of GF100 and if there have been any worthwhile changes to raise efficiency. So far all we know are the HPC/Fermi capabilities which are hardly any serious indication for the former.

Yeah, those are still a mystery. But didn't Rys mention that NVIDIA would talk about Fermi's unknown bits this month ?

Hopefully that's true and we can finally get an idea if the speculation about Fermi's graphics bits, was up to par.

I'd take "someone's" word over charlies' word any day of the week.
Considering he brings nothing but bad news for Nvidia and your personal slant, I'm not surprised why you'd choose "someone" elses word. :LOL:

Well whatever it is it would have to outdo the allegedly disappointing version of Fermi.
Alternatives does not need to be a better one, for the nth time. :rolleyes:

Is it just me or does all this furor over proposed paper specs remind one of...

The Hype preceding the release (or non-release) of Nv40, Rampage, Parhelia, R600, the chip by Bitboy Oy that I can't remember the name of, Rendition V3300, etc...

Not saying it's going to follow in the illustrious footsteps of those. But those are the last times I think I've seen so much praise and hope for performance placed upon either paper or rumored specs.

The level of hype for paper specs is astronomical for Fermi.

I fully expect it'll be a good chip, but I think Nvidia would have been better served to have had working silicon seeded to potential customers before even leaking information without NDAs.

Amazing...absolutely amazing...

Regards,
SB

Perhaps it's deadlines, not power issues that drove the decision?

Maybe but what are the lead times for building a supercomputer? IIRC they're aiming at 2012.

The level of hype for paper specs is astronomical for Fermi.

Except we don't have any specs beyond shader count and bus width. Much of the hype around Fermi is due to it being something new - there still isn't any useful info on its graphics capabilities. And of course whenever something is this delayed the hype grows both from those who want it to succeed and those who want it to fail spectactularly :D

I can't believe these people who wanted Fermi to fail.

The failure of Fermi will be a disaster for all humankind. Think about the prolonged discovery of cure for cancer and other great scientific achievements to advance humanity. And all they care is tesselation... :mad:

:p

I can't believe these people who wanted Fermi to fail.

The failure of Fermi will be a disaster for all humankind. Think about the prolonged discovery of cure for cancer and other great scientific achievements to advance humanity. And all they care is tesselation... :mad:

:p

Hmm.

I'm not sure. I'm more pro ati than nv30 (the geforce sdr and nv30 kinda hurt me in the pocket) But amd is in dire straits right now and if the fermi is not up to snuff it will allow amd to retain better postion in the market and help stem the losses from the cpu side until hopefully they get more competetive. As Much as I don't want nvidia to go out of busniess its doubly so for amd because they are competition to both nvidia and intel.

Of course considering the size diffrence from the radeons to the fermi it may not really matter in the end as amd will most likely command the price to performance segments of the market.

Aren't the big memory SKUs waiting on the RAM to be available? They'll need 2Gbit modules to get to the target sizes.

Back