nVidia does GDDR3

Mark

aka Ratchet
Regular
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11629.html

In partnership with Samsung, nVidia is releasing a GDDR3 equipped 5700 with GDDR3 ...

I seem to remember Samsung and nVidia poo-pooing GDDR3 some time ago, now they are partnering to release a product based on it. Hrm.
nVidia PR said:
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra GPU-based graphics boards with 128MB of GDDR-3 will be available in mid-March from leading add-in card venders worldwide
Anyway, ATI is AWOL again. You'd think they would have been the first out of the gate with a GDDR3 eqiupped card seeing as they helped develop the technology. :rolleyes:

Ratchet said:
You'd think they would have been the first out of the gate with a GDDR3 eqiupped card seeing as they helped develop the technology. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure they did (not with Samsung, anyway). It's just "third generation DDR graphics memory" and Samsung's implementation may well be different from Micron's. Neither have gone through JEDEC, that's for sure.

Interesting though that the first NV36/GDDR3 samples that were publically unveiled used Micron chips. Perhaps Samsung have been throwing their weight around a bit. They certainly seem to have a very good relationship with both nV and ATi.

MuFu.

The GDDR3 will most likely be used to reduce heat/power consumption, not increase performance.

MuFu said:
I'm not sure they did (not with Samsung, anyway). It's just "third generation DDR graphics memory" and Samsung's implementation may well be different from Micron's. Neither have gone through JEDEC, that's for sure.

"ATI worked closely with Micron to define and develop GDDR3 as part of an industry-wide initiative, and we commend Micron for being first to sample GDDR3 devices," said Joe Macri, Director of Technology, ATI Technologies Inc, and Chairman, JC42.3 DRAM Committee, JEDEC.

http://www.micron.com/news/product/2003-06-11_27457.html

So can we assume that nV will keep the 5700 around for a while? And if so where will it be slotted after the nV40?

nelg said:
So can we assume that nV will keep the 5700 around for a while? And if so where will it be slotted after the nV40?
I expect, that like with the 5800/5600/5200, NV40 will be available a while before the rest of the new lineup.

I'm gonna go ahead with my prediction and say we'll see the NV40 only by may/june (maybe even later).

Nvidia know they gonna be late and that's why they releasing the 5700 with upgraded parts. If I was ATI I would launch the R420 at Cebit with stock in stores at the end of the month.

US

hmmm does anyone know if and nv4x's went out to any devs yet if not ,then my moneys on a june july in store time frame.

rets

Unknown Soldier said:
Nvidia know they gonna be late and that's why they releasing the 5700 with upgraded parts. If I was ATI I would launch the R420 at Cebit with stock in stores at the end of the month.
Why? The 5700 clearly won't compete with the NV40. If they'd just released an updated GeForce FX 5950, then your logic might hold.

kemosabe said:
MuFu said:

"ATI worked closely with Micron to define and develop GDDR3 as part of an industry-wide initiative, and we commend Micron for being first to sample GDDR3 devices," said Joe Macri, Director of Technology, ATI Technologies Inc, and Chairman, JC42.3 DRAM Committee, JEDEC.

http://www.micron.com/news/product/2003-06-11_27457.html
And how does that refute MuFu's post?

The intention wasn't to refute anything, but just to remind that ATI did indeed co-develop the spec, though with Micron.

retsam said:
hmmm does anyone know if and nv4x's went out to any devs yet if not ,then my moneys on a june july in store time frame.
I'm expecting certain informations closely related to that to be made publicly available soon.
Not pretty, IMO.

Uttar

Someone at TechReport said the 5700s with GDDR3 will have mem clocked at 950MHz. A slight boost, but one that seems will still result in some power savings. I wonder if they'll call it a 5750U, to match the 5950U?

Uttar said:
retsam said:
I'm expecting certain informations closely related to that to be made publicly available soon.
Not pretty, IMO.

Uttar

urm......i hate this. ;)

Uttar said:
retsam said:
Not pretty, IMO.

Uttar

You mean for ATI, right? ;)

Florin said:
Uttar said:
retsam said:
Not pretty, IMO.

Uttar

You mean for ATI, right? ;)

No, for nV. Devrel may have been shovelling their fair share of BS recently. Either that or they haven't been keeping certain parties up to speed with the status of NV4x.

MuFu.

MuFu said:
No, for nV. Sounds like devrel been shovelling their fair share of BS recently. Either that or they haven't bothered keeping certain parties up to speed with the status of NV4x.

MuFu.

What're you refering to?

Back