nVidia dissing VIA...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10227

Headed "How Via claims the Performance Crown", the five page document [from nVidia] seen by the INQUIRER earlier this week, says the Taiwanese firm has "cherry picked" three benchmarks, configurations and resolutions and said its [Via's] figures aren't comparing what it describes as the real world. The real world, says Nzilla, is games.

:?

Odd...I didn't know that in the "Real World" chipsets only run games....

Someone get their hands on this document. Let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes. :)

nV's marketing department is really fond of peer pressure tactics, isn't it?

Headed "How Via claims the Performance Crown", the five page document [from nVidia] seen by the INQUIRER earlier this week, says the Taiwanese firm has "cherry picked" three benchmarks, configurations and resolutions and said its [Via's] figures aren't comparing what it describes as the real world. The real world, says Nzilla, is games.

Isn't this ironic coming from nVIDIA? :rolleyes:

well lets see

first they dissed 3dfx
then came kyro
then came ati
now comes VIA/S3

funny how nVidia does not have a competitive product and they are trying to diss everyone else all the while they are making themselves look bad.........

It's not that nVidia doesn't have a competitive product, they do. While the GFFX cards may not be the best in any price/value sense, they are competitve. And, in spite of the KT600 chipset, I don't thnk anyone would say the nForce 2 is not competitive. The problem is that nVidia really doen't want ANY competition, at all. They refuse to have their products stand on their own merits - which they can, in many, or even most, cases. nVidia seems to see itself above the competition, and when they feel in any way threatened, they just go crazy.....

With the way they respond to any competition, maybe it's just paranoia......could it be from smoking something hallucinogenic?.... ;)

Well must be something in the ventilation maybe :/

Well Nv didn't cherrypick any benchmark. They just cheated for half of the most common benchmarks and optimised for the other half of the most common benchmarks. And then thanks to site's like [H] they got the best GFX card on the market :rolleyes:

Wonder how Nv would've responded if someone questioned them about the Doom3 benchmarks :rolleyes:

Joe DeFuria said:

Someone get their hands on this document. Let's see how deep the rabbit hole goes. :)

What's really funny about all of this is that I really do think nVidia makes a better Athlon chipset than VIA. But why on earth would you want to restrict your advertising about core-logic chipsets to games?....I'll tell you, I think nVidia PR is hopelessly putzed. Finding them doing something "right" or "intelligent" these days is like looking for hen's teeth...;) Man...

personally I am hooked on SiS

not nearly the compatability problems of the VIA solutions

not nearly as expensive as the Nforce solutions.

WaltC said:
Joe DeFuria said:

What's really funny about all of this is that I really do think nVidia makes a better Athlon chipset than VIA.
THANK YOU WALT! :D

After reading this thread I was feeling damned silly for trading me GF4 for an nForce2 board... :oops: ...thanks for reminding me of why I thought it was such a good idea at the time. :)

K.I.L.E.R said:
No that's not ironic at all, it's hypocritical! Stop polluting the English language!

Normally I would never comment on something like that (pot, kettle...), but I’ve just read this. :)

I haven't owned an AMD since the 486DX4/120. Owned two of those. They were fine. I've stayed away from AMD ever since mostly because of concerns over flaky chipsets. I never wanted the 4-in-1 demon to visit my cherished pc. This is not an Intel fanboi rant, I only mention it because this last time for the first time in a long, long, time I seriously considered AMD because of the nforce2 boards. Ended up I went the other way, but maybe next time it will be different. So good on nvidia for bringing some big-boy resources to AMD chipsets.

Whats really ironic is that nVidia's much hyped dual channel DDR archtitecture, arguably the most unique feature of the nForce platform, only really adds performance in specific non-gaming situations.

martrox said:
It's not that nVidia doesn't have a competitive product, they do. While the GFFX cards may not be the best in any price/value sense, they are competitve. And, in spite of the KT600 chipset, I don't thnk anyone would say the nForce 2 is not competitive. The problem is that nVidia really doen't want ANY competition, at all. They refuse to have their products stand on their own merits - which they can, in many, or even most, cases. nVidia seems to see itself above the competition, and when they feel in any way threatened, they just go crazy.....

With the way they respond to any competition, maybe it's just paranoia......could it be from smoking something hallucinogenic?.... ;)

While I agree with what you say I am trying to think of a company that actually wants competition. This is simply an instance of nvidia's belligerent self promotion and it seems pretty typical for them really.

The only company that wants competition is Intel and Microsoft.

Otherwise the government gets involved.

RussSchultz said:
The only company that wants competition is Intel and Microsoft.

Otherwise the government gets involved.

Not true.

The government will get involved as long as the company is making lots of money...whether or not there is competition. ;)

Thowllly said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
No that's not ironic at all, it's hypocritical! Stop polluting the English language!

Normally I would never comment on something like that (pot, kettle...), but I?ve just read this. :)
OT but Hee hee. A while back a comedian here pointed out that the only thing ironic about Alanis Morissette's song was that it didn't really contain anything ironic...

"And isn't it unfortunate, don't you think, a little too unfortunate..."

Back on this topic, the "leaked" document criticising Kyro/KyroII that was sent to some 3rd party graphics card manufactures used an example of a game that was said not to run on Kyro - ironically it did run on Kyro but didn't on the NVidia chip :)

Back