NVIDIA discussion [2024]

I wonder what could they improve besides AV1/AV2 support, and maybe even better upscaling (despite already being best-in-class afaik)?

I don’t think NVIDIA has any incentive to improve gaming performance on Shield because of Geforce NOW but I did just realise GFN now supports AV1 which won’t work on current Shield which is unfortunate.

There's an odd issue right now in that to fully support all of Geforce Now and have the optimal experience you need a discrete RTX GPU.

GFNs new VRR support for instance requires an Nvidia RTX GPU I believe.

Even just full link HDMI 2.1 option to leverage GFN at 4k120 has limited options other then a discrete GPU.

Also GFN has some limitations in terms of feature support. GFN doesn't support RTX HDR for instance. You may need a new Shield device to implement it client side. RTX HDR would also be great just as a media playback device.

4k120 10 bit 4:4:4. Updated code and (maybe even h266). Updated wifi (maybe wifi 7). "RTX" GPU with tensor cores for AI features (eg RTX HDR) both current and in the future.

The edge AI push in general may also mean it might make sense to have an Shield AI device. Nvidia is also already rumored to either release SoC intended for Windows either themselves and/or in partnership with Mediatek. Seems that could also be repurposed for something other then a Windows laptop.

Last edited:
Couldn't we expect to see a repeat of the current situation where the next Shield and Switch 2 share a chip i.e. the mooted T239? These products are not competitors.

Using the switch 2 chip would make sense, but I'm curious if the shield line will continue. The current model hasn't had a software update in a year now. It's running a version of Android TV that's 2-3 major versions out of date. It's still great, but idk if they have quietly ended support or what.

I mention this somewhat above but Nvidia is rumored to have a SoC (or their technology going into a SoC) for Windows on ARM laptops, possibly in partnership with Mediatek.

The related possibility is that going forward they don't themselves develop a new Shield device but just offer a software package in conjunction with their SoCs or devices with their deployed GPU IP. Those could be deployed in anything from a tablet to a laptop or a set top box (like the Shield) to a full desktop.

I have the tube shield and it struggles with some content. Particularly Dolby Vision and Paramount+ for some reason. VRR support would be nice too but they’ve abandoned in home streaming so I have limited use for it now.

You should be able to use it nearly functionally identical with Moonlight connecting to Sunshine.

It's better in some ways, for example Sunshine works around turning on mouse acceleration by default in windows on the server unlike with connecting to Nvida Gamestream (this was annoying for me, as you had to manually turn it off every connection since I only play with kb/m).

I have the tube shield and it struggles with some content. Particularly Dolby Vision and Paramount+ for some reason. VRR support would be nice too but they’ve abandoned in home streaming so I have limited use for it now.
I'm sure there are areas where the old one could be improved. I just don't see Nvidia pursuing this market of all markets. A 3rd party device on the rumored SoC with MTK is way more probable IMO.

Back