nVidia control panel is a f**king mess...

nVidia control panel is a mess...

Yeah I'm starting to be annoyed about this. I started playing Starcraft 1 week or so ago while I still had the AMD 6970 and after little bit of tweaking with the scaling options I managed to run the game in proper form. Previously for some reason it cut quite a bit of stuff from each side of the screen. Now I'm almost done with the Terran campaign and got my GTX 570 oc back.

Now when I run the game it cuts stuff from all sides again. 640*480 seems to be a mess on these cards. Solving this however didn't turn out to be that easy... First of all I go to control panel only to notice that for some unholy reason the scaling options aren't there. Found out that apparently the control panel thinks I'm connected into a TV instead of a monitor and that apparently is a good reason to disable scaling options? I managed to fool the control panel by creating a custom resolution that is exactly the same I was using before, but now having this custom res the scaling options are available. Chanting victory I start the game again, only to notice that nothing has changed!

For some retarded reason it seems that scaling doesn't work when the app uses 640*480 resolution...
Then I read somewhere that I should create other custom resolutions for this game, doubting it would make any difference, but I want to finish the game.

nVidias drivers have been buggy in this regard for a long time. I cannot create 640*480 or 854*480 resolutions for example, well I can and they test just fine, but after I press save these settings the screen switches back to 1080p. It doesn't list these new custom resolutions when I go to the change resolution page.

Spent some time on nVidias forums and they are now promising to fix these issues, but they have existed very long time already.

So in a nutshell: In order to enable scaling options I need custom resolution, currently only custom res I can create is 1080p. I get scaling options, but they don't work when app is 640*480. What a mess.

Any suggestions? I can't install older drivers because my card isn't supported and 6970 is already sold. This weekend was propably the last time for atleast a month that I would have had time to game, but nooo this pos control panel is jumping in my face.

Is there a way to enable scaling for 640*480 resolution I quess is what I'm looking for.

edit: took the bad words out, because it was partly my projectors/my fault, it's still a mess though :), Ok the title didn't change... well whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
how is the monitor connected iirc i got no scaling options with vga only dvi

HDMI. I actually do get scaling options once I use custom resolution. The problem is that for some reason the scaling still doesn't work when an application uses 640*480 resolution. 800*600 and up works fine, but you can't change the res in Starcraft.

I've read that the solution would be to use custom res of 640*480, then the scaling should work, but the drivers are borked and the only custom res I can use so far is 1080p even if I can succesfully create other resolutions as well.

There is a thread that deals with the custom res creating problem.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=189757

edit: In Starcraft I'm seeing a 4:3 picture with black borders on left and right. The actual game footage however doesn't fit inside these borders. I miss quite a bit from top and bottom. I can't see the
amount of resources I have for example. On left and right it cuts a lot more. The mouse cursor goes under the black borders really far, perhaps even all the way to end of the border, making the game totally unplayable.

It was like that with the 6970 at first also, but I managed to get it to scale to full screen. I'm not sure if it borked the aspect ratio as well, but atleast I got to see everything that is supposed to be there.

edit: Yes I managed to solve the problem. For some reason my projector changed its overscan setting when I switch the desktop resolution to 8 %, switching it to off made everything great!

Last edited by a moderator:
rivatuner is great for dealing with the drivers, you don't ever have to touch the nvidia control panel with that. (nhancer is the other vital essential)
but it looks like it havent' been updated :(

not sure if scaling isn't the exception (i.e. not in the rivatuner interface), [strike]and you should expect the same bug. (driver issue, right?)
if it works it would be one of these moments of "WTF, why does it work? it shouldn't be working!"[/strike]
/edit : for not having seen your edit

this issue is something I'd thought would be sorted with windows vista and its hyped Aero and WDDM.
it would be nice to just have the system capture the output of $old_crummy_game into a texture and have it in an unscaled or scaled window, or scaled full screen (with bilinear, bicubic, pixel shaders options)

even on a CRT, the double scan for low res and the need to set up geometry for the low resolution at crappy framerate should be avoidable.

Back