NVIDIA claims top DX9 GPU marketshare spot.

DaveBaumann said:
RussSchultz said:
Actually, they generate their numbers by:
-looking at financial statements from the producers
-contacting retail outlets and getting information from them
-talking to suppliers and oems and determing their sales

Russ, do you have anything to base that on? I can't find anything on the Mercury site, and I've had one analyst tell me that this isn't the case with Mercury - he thinks the only one to go to these lengths is JPA.
Nothing more than what I percieve to be industry standard practices.

How else could you obtain market share numbers without doing due dilligence and cross checking the data. No investment house would believe a word you said if your sole source was the company in question.

RussSchultz said:
DaveBaumann said:
RussSchultz said:
Actually, they generate their numbers by:
-looking at financial statements from the producers
-contacting retail outlets and getting information from them
-talking to suppliers and oems and determing their sales

Russ, do you have anything to base that on? I can't find anything on the Mercury site, and I've had one analyst tell me that this isn't the case with Mercury - he thinks the only one to go to these lengths is JPA.
Nothing more than what I percieve to be industry standard practices.

How else could you obtain market share numbers without doing due dilligence and cross checking the data. No investment house would believe a word you said if your sole source was the company in question.
Who said any investment houses listen to Mercury Research? Mebbe their only reason for being is to put their name on nVidia PR releases to make 'em look more legit. ;)

Evildeus said:
Performance heh? :rolleyes: Or whatever reason... And furthermore they are able to do FP32 with beta drivers aren't they? So, the not being FP32 doesn's count don't you think?

a.) Performance is almost certianly not a good enough reason for this to be passed by MS. Plus, the performance difference is not that great - the performance differnce is impacted more by the register useage than thatyhing else.

b.) Beta drivers are beta for a reason - it is unlikely to be a coincidence that the only official drivers released so far drop down to FP16.

c.) The fact remains that MS passed the 44.03 drivers without full compliance to the specifications so it "does count" as it has happened.

d.) We've already demonstrated that there certianly is some issues with running DX code on these boards in FP32 precision with an actual example, being 3DMark03 PS2.0 test.

Perhaps you should reread the 1st post where i say that, you will be able to find an answer ;)

What? You initially said:

Evildeus said:
Doomtrooper said:
Talk about inability to differeniate SOLD vs. SHIPPED...it is nice that there is lots of 5200's shipped, doesn't mean they are being sold.
For Nv it's the same thing.

But now you acknowledge that this may not have any bearing on the number of units being talked about in this market share report - so, again, what was the point of this?

RussSchultz said:
So JPA is the only analyst that investment bankers listen to?
That doesn't make sense, why not point to any evidence to support Mercury Research's credibility rather than try and bring in tangents?

Oh yeah, because there isn't a whole lot of evidence to support Mercury Research's credibility....well at least not to support it in a positive way. ;)

RussSchultz said:

I have no idea what they do Russ, I don't even know if they know how the results were achieved. I know they guy who mentions this does his best to do this himself, along with other sources such as JPA and Mercury.

DaveBaumann said:
a.) Performance is almost certianly not a good enough reason for this to be passed by MS.

I agree.

DaveBaumann said:
Plus, the performance difference is not that great - the performance differnce is impacted more by the register useage than thatyhing else.

FX5600U :
arithmetic : 800 Mops/s - texturing ops
arithmetic + texturing : 800 Mops/s

Rad9600Pro :
arithmetic : 1600 Mops/s (3200 Mops/s with co-issue)
arithmetic + texturing : 3200 Mops/s (4800 Mops/s with co-issue)

The register useage is a problem, but it's not the only one.

DaveBaumann said:
b.) Beta drivers are beta for a reason - it is unlikely to be a coincidence that the only official drivers released so far drop down to FP16.
You're right. But what could be this reason ? Maybe NVIDIA drop down to FP16 just the time required to make better drivers and application-specific optimisations.

DaveBaumann said:
c.) The fact remains that MS passed the 44.03 drivers without full compliance to the specifications so it "does count" as it has happened.
It's really strange. Does WHQL certification require DX9 compliance ? Was MS checking DX9 compliance when they passed the 44.03 ?

DaveBaumann said:
d.) We've already demonstrated that there certianly is some issues with running DX code on these boards in FP32 precision with an actual example, being 3DMark03 PS2.0 test.
Of course, but we've also demonstrated that these issues disappear with newer drivers.

digitalwanderer said:
RussSchultz said:
That doesn't make sense, why not point to any evidence to support Mercury Research's credibility rather than try and bring in tangents?

Oh yeah, because there isn't a whole lot of evidence to support Mercury Research's credibility....well at least not to support it in a positive way. ;)
Where's the evidence to support Mercury Research's non-credibility?

DaveBaumann said:
a.) Performance is almost certianly not a good enough reason for this to be passed by MS. Plus, the performance difference is not that great - the performance differnce is impacted more by the register useage than thatyhing else.
Well, are you able to say, because what you are saying is that FP32 doesn't exist on FX 5200. If it is "not that great", it means that FP32 exist doesn't it?

Then, it's MS decision, i don't know why, but they did qualify these drivers, that's is the fact. We can say that it's not logical, it should be the case, but it is, that's the fact.

If it is possible to do FP32 in beta driver, i think it proves the point that the hardware is able of FP32. You said to that there's a difference between WHQL drivers and DX9 compliance, and now you are saying that there's no difference?

Yes it counts in the fact that WHQL drivers doesn't ask for full compliance in the drivers, that doesn't mean that the hardware is not capable of doing it.

Using what drivers?

Perhaps you should reread the 1st post where i say that, you will be able to find an answer ;)

What? You initially said:

Evildeus said:
Doomtrooper said:
Talk about inability to differeniate SOLD vs. SHIPPED...it is nice that there is lots of 5200's shipped, doesn't mean they are being sold.
For Nv it's the same thing.

But now you acknowledge that this may not have any bearing on the number of units being talked about in this market share report - so, again, what was the point of this?
Well the point is for one actor it the same thing, ie NV, clear now? So perhaps, you should reread his phrase on the inability to differentiate sold and shipped, and my answer? Really, i still don't understand where i said anything else.

About Mercury, I just want to say one thing: making a market share analysis is very difficult and we could always discuss about such an analysis.

Tridam said:
The register useage is a problem, but it's not the only one.

I'm talking about the performance difference between running in FP16 and FP32, that shouldn't have much relationship to its compaetitive standpoint.

DaveBaumann said:
You're right. But what could be this reason ? Maybe NVIDIA drop down to FP16 just the time required to make better drivers and application-specific optimisations.

Oh, that could vey well be the case. Even if there are some hardware issues, that also doesn't preclude that they will find a workaround for that in a later release and be able to offer it at full FP32 precision. But that doesn't change the fact that, at present, the only officially released WHQL drivers from NVIDIA for these boards do not meet the specification set by MS - does it?

DaveBaumann said:
It's really strange. Does WHQL certification require DX9 compliance ? Was MS checking DX9 compliance when they passed the 44.03?

Again, I think this is the entire point of the DCT tests. Whenever a WHQL submission is ent to MS the IHV's run DCT themselves, and this drops out encrypted logs that are sent to MS. MS then asses these logs and then decide whether they are compliant or not (although there will be some dialogue on areas that are not compliant, as we've seen!).

DaveBaumann said:
Of course, but we've also demonstrated that these issues disappear with newer drivers.

From a recent conversation I had with NVIDIA I believe that has been done via shader replacement again. While this may not stick to FM's guidelines, it does stick to NVIDIA's policy of making the IQ the same. Thats said, these later drivers have also shown differences between the reference rasteriser and running on an NV board.

You need this report if you:
Make implementation decisions at a PC or graphics board vendor. PC Graphics helps you choose the right parts...and the right suppliers, now and in the future.
Have responsibility for forecasting market growth, assessing the competition or planning products for a semiconductor supplier.
Are a volume hardware buyer who understands that graphics plays at least as big a role in system performance as the central processor itself. Armed with PC Graphics, you are equipped like never before to pick the winners from the pack of available hardware products.

It doesn't seem like their analysis is meant for investor guidance but more geared toward people looking to make future purchases.
I seems like a graphics card industry version of a "push poll".

Evildeus said:
Yes it counts in the fact that WHQL drivers doesn't ask for full compliance in the drivers, that doesn't mean that the hardware is not capable of doing it.

If you have no access to it then the hardware is not going to be able to do it!

However, this does not change the fact that at present 5200 has gone through the WQHL process without meeting the DX9 specification - show us, how, under currently released official drivers you can access FP32.

Well the point is for one actor it the same thing, ie NV, clear now? So perhaps, you should reread his phrase on the inability to differentiate sold and shipped, and my answer?

How many times do we need to say this: Shipped and Sold is only the same thing for NVIDIA for monetary purposes, that does not automtically count that it is the same for Mercury's figures.

Mercury may ask the IHV "how many units do you produce and ship to vendors" and NVIDIA will tell them - that number does not have to be the actual number sold since they are not talking about their own revenue numbers and their accounting practices. i.e. there could be a difference between what they say if a company asks "how many units did you ship" and what they would report on their balance sheets.

Have responsibility for forecasting market growth, assessing the competition or planning products for a semiconductor supplier.

Which falls directly into what a fund manager or an underwriter should be doing before investing.

Regardless, the same holds true for companies looking for information for their own forcasting. Why would they rely on a company that only relys on them? Why pay money to somebody to regurgitate what you just told them?

Its certainly possible that they do no indepth research, but I'd doubt it.

Hello all

Sorry i know its off topic- does anybody that posts here know EXACTLY
what microsoft looks at in driver releases to be FULLY WHQL complient?

Or have nvidia overcome this problem by having unified drivers that are ONLY WHQL complient for certain card models - if this is the case the problem lays with microsoft allowing them.

And as for the whole industry believing in a set of made up/inflated sales
figures from dubious companys IT HAPPENS A LOT MORE THAN YOU REALISE .Crooked companys and dubious buisiness pratices only come to light once it hits the newspapers eg

ENRON

and they were in existence for quite a few years before the penny dropped.

Statistics can show anything when manipulated in the right ways - eg

If you eat ice cream youre more likely to drown.
People buy morre ice creams on the beach -right next to the sea - get my point.

Nvidia should be prepared for showing figures on all cards they sell being returned when the users try to run INDUSTRY STANDARD DX9 coded games-because this company is deliberately misleading/manipulating the general public into buying cards which can barely run INDUSTRY STANDARD DX9 code

I dont know of any company that gets away with this form of fraud to such a noticable extent and still is allowed to do buisiness

Rant over.

Russ, I propose logic and specific questions, and, once again, you seem to be choosing to disregard that opportunity to do so with any clarity.

RussSchultz said:
First off, I NEVER said that performance is not possible to be included in "properly" in his sentence. Unless "safe to assume" means "not possible"? (I guess I should be prepared for the essay on how it means exactly that!?)

Now we're back to incompatibility with language again.

I provide an argument to Dave H concerning your assertion of incompetence based on (what you proposed as) the usage of "properly" by Jerky, which according to Dave H (at that time) was not a "matter of opinion". This argument by Dave H was predicated on the only interpretation for "properly" being exclusive of performance (i.e., "DX 9 compliance"). You did actually read this discussion, yes? You realize that this post was not a reply to you, and that your response to it placed you in the middle of it, right?

You replied to that post by saying:

Russ said:
Demalion: he (Jerky) specifically mentioned performance in his original statment, so it would be safe to assume that the second part (can't run dx9 properly) does not include performance as a criteria.

'Technically', you "said" "safe to assume" (if you define "said" as restricted to literal utterance)...

And if this is all opinion, can I therefor say that the R300 can't run Dx9 (or even dx7 or dx8) properly because the anisotropic isn't good?

...except it was predicated on proposing that the usage of properly wasn't a matter of opinion, both by this phrase challenging my assertion that it was indeed a matter of opinion, and by agreeing with what Dave H originally proposed. But...you didn't "say" it...you just "agreed" with it, said it was "safe to assume" and defended it. :oops:

"This is progress....you're admitting that you were wrong when you said it was safe to assume, agreed with, and defended the idea that this was not possible in your first reply."

Are you happy? What progress have you made? What did your use of semantics here serve, Russ? I think "said" communicated accurately with just 4 letters, and, IMO, this type of semantic misuse is exactly what initiates our semantic discussions, Russ, since "said" is not restricted to literal utterance (your reply depends on this error, and that is why I end up looking to a dictionary to bring in some sanity). I wasn't arguing about literal utterance, which is the only interpretation of "said" that allows your statement of disagreement to make sense. :-?

Next, yes extrapolating performance IN PS2.0 is possible. The 5900 has a set of performance, the 5600 has a set of performance, the 5200 has a set of performance. They all have the same feature set.

But not the same performance in implementing it, yes. Though it is unclear that that this statement about featureset is the case in the PS 2.0 testing conducted by the reviewer, however. Does uncertainty still make him incompetent?

The 5200 is some fraction of the 5600 which is some fraction of the 5900. These fractions are pretty consistant across the feature set (in terms of fillrate, pixel shading rate, etc) It would therefor follow that if comparing card A and card b in fillrate leads to the conclusion that B is capable of providing acceptable framerates at lower resolutions, then when considering pixel shading.

Well, it would have been useful if you addressed my provided discussion, so I wouldn't have to repeat pointing out that multipassing on non shader hardware and CPU rendering fit into your logical chain and its dependency on excluding minimum resolution, as well. This choice of response is what I mean by lack of clarity...you require me to do my work over again when you could have just addressed it.

The only thing that would differ is the resolution at which it reaches parity to your criteria of "properly", unless we now include sufficient resolution in "properly".

[relevant only to other possible discussions]
Well, it wasn't what I was proposing as my criteria of running DX 9 properly, it was Jerky's. I tend towards preferring phrases like "can't run PS 2.0 quickly", and I'd tend to use "properly" like Dave H would, but my preference (nor Dave H's) doesn't limit what can be fairly said by someone. I mention this again (and I do have to justify this since it doesn't matter for your current statement by itself) because, in my estimation, you (RussSchultz, in particular) seem to tend to apply the statements of others outside of their context, and I'd prefer to not have to explain how "properly" depends on context at a later date.
[/relevant only to other possible discussions]

Discussing the criteria of properly that I am, indeed, defending:

Do you limit fractions of that performance are you allowing, or are you really proposing that there is no minimum reslution for PC gaming? If you have specifics in mind, please mention them. The ones I have in mind are, for example, this:

At 1024x768, the 5200 is ~ 1/6 (24/4.3) the speed of a 9500 (non Pro) in the 3dmark 03 PS 2.0 test.

At 1024x768, the 5200 is ~ 1/3 (18.3/5.3) the speed of a 9500 (non Pro) in the 3dmark 03 GT 4 test.

• First, you haven't clearly answered my question as to whether the problem was with his "uncertainty", or for his evaluating the performance of the 5200 as being too low. It reads right now as if you propose that the uncertainty shows incompetence, and that his evaluation that it's performance being too low when running PS 2.0 is just plain wrong, leaving the only option for a competent reviewer being to say that the 5200 "certainly" has sufficient performance to "run DX 9 propeerly". Do I misunderstand?
  • Second, I currently think the 5200 performance is being overstated due to special case "optimizations" in these test, which seems to indicate both special attention and the ability to avoid image quality manifestion of special attention to be representative (i.e., not "consistent").
  • Third, even aside from that, the situation with shaders seem to have a lot more uncertainty than you propose. Note that (compared to themselves in the other tests) the 9500 non pro is faster in the PS 2.0 test, and the 5200 is faster in the GT 4 test, almost as if your proposal of extrapolation without uncertainty has some flaws.
  • Fourth, what fraction of this resolution do you propose ensures that the 5200 use is unequivocably "running DX 9 properly"? What fps do you extrapolate for it? I'll point out that 640x400 has 1/3 (1/3.072) the pixels of 1024x768.
    Mutliplying by that gives us 16.3 fps and 13.2 fps. If your calcuation is something else, please clarify. For contrast, the 9700 (not a high end card anymore) gets about 24 fps at 1024x768.

And please, stop with the intellectual slights.

What intellectual slights? Asking that you be consistent...when you don't appear to be? Saying you are proposing logical fallacies? These assertions aren't slights, and I don't see any in my last post. Could you simply propose an example, like I asked before?

DaveBaumann said:
Evildeus said:

If you have no access to it then the hardware is not going to be able to do it!

However, this does not change the fact that at present 5200 has gone through the WQHL process without meeting the DX9 specification - show us, how, under currently released official drivers you can access FP32.
Well, if MS qualify them they have necessary meet the specification. Moreover, we can acheve FP32 with beta drivers, meaning that it's possibile to do it, and that the hardware is DX9 compliant (at least in this specific point)

Well the point is for one actor it the same thing, ie NV, clear now? So perhaps, you should reread his phrase on the inability to differentiate sold and shipped, and my answer?

How many times do we need to say this: Shipped and Sold is only the same thing for NVIDIA for monetary purposes, that does not automtically count that it is the same for Mercury's figures.

Mercury may ask the IHV "how many units do you produce and ship to vendors" and NVIDIA will tell them - that number does not have to be the actual number sold since they are not talking about their own revenue numbers and their accounting practices. i.e. there could be a difference between what they say if a company asks "how many units did you ship" and what they would report on their balance sheets.
Of course, but i'm not talking of that i'm saying that for NV it's the same thing answering what Watlc did say, nothing more nothing less and that the number of chip sold is necessarily higher than the number of chip shipped.

RussSchultz said:
digitalwanderer said:
RussSchultz said:

Where's the evidence to support Mercury Research's non-credibility?
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7741&highlight=peter+glaskowsky
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9167&highlight=peter+glaskowsky
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4733

Evildeus said:
Well, if MS qualify them they have necessary meet the specification.

Well, its not to spec, hence that must have been achieved it with waivers.

Moreover, we can acheve FP32 with beta drivers, meaning that it's possibile to do it, and that the hardware is DX9 compliant (at least in this specific point)

Nope. Beta drivers with FP32 support only suggest that it is able to operate some of the elements of DX9, not necessarily all required fro compliance.

Back