NVDA cutting orders at TSMC while ATI's increase.

Joe DeFuria said:
I think we can assume though, that the RV3xx parts will at least be more readily available. It's more or less a known quantity.

Yes, and the RV3xx chips have been proven to be very cost-efficient. I believe that both the RV4xx (?) and the NV4x parts will have a hard time beating the good-not-so-old RV3xx in the cost-efficiency department. In the low-end even the PS2.0 could be an overkill feature that cripples the chip, as the NV3x line has demonstrated. I wonder how the PS2.x / PS3.0 parts could live with a low transistor budget. :devilish:

I think it likely that ATI only really need one more chip at present - a PCI-E 8-pipe chip on either the 0.13 or 0.11 micron process for the midrange (X700?). Probably 0.11 with a clock speed around 500MHz or less.

Ought to be a fair bit cheaper to produce than R360 (I'd guess) and they would then be able to transition it down the market as with the RV350-RV380. Bridge chips could be used with their PCI-E range to keep AGP supported until it eventually dies out.

Well there is still a lack of cards from NV I assume since GT's are gettting sold for $480 and people are buying them. It is kind of amazing to me. I had been hoping to buy a gt this august myself but supply still seems tight, and the prices are not falling very rapidly, $375 is about the lowest I have seen them for...

Back