NV40 Test samples, pics inside

Yes, I hate to be someone that takes a pic from someone else, but hey, I can recall heavy talk about whether or not the sample boards in the reviews coming up will be 2 slot loud dustbusters or not, so without further ado, NV40:

nv40.jpg

Now perhaps it is time for some people to rethink their aruging strategies? :LOL:

Thanks to Rampant CL at nvnews for the pic.

You might want to ask the photographer to alter the angle of the image down a little.

(Note: the back of one of the DVI ports is obscured by the HSF. Now, ask yourself, from this angle, how could the HSF do that?)

No vent to the outside? I wonder how noisy that fan is. It's not that large, so I'm presuming it would have to spin quite fast, but if it's as tall as the heatsink, it could have quite deep blades. Also the blade tips seem to be shrouded, which might kill some of the noise.

Edit: surfhurleydude, are you going to change the subject line of this thread to reflect confirmation of a two slot cooler?

DaveBaumann said:
You might want to ask the photographer to alter the angle of the image down a little.

(Note: the back of one of the DVI ports is obscured by the HSF. Now, ask yourself, from this angle, how could the HSF do that?)
:LOL:

That was the first thing that crossed my mind looking at that picture, it looks EXACTLY like I pictured the dustbusterII(tm) would look! ;)

Yes, there is a heatpipe component to the heatsink, look up the top, between the spiked horizontal portion of the heatsink and the finned vertical portion, there are two heatpipes visible.

BGB: the fan is a rotary blower (the "fins" are on the outer rim of the fan), lighten the image up in irfanview gamma 1.80

Is there anything on the back of that card? Is all the memory on the front? The shadows make the thing look damn near flush on the surface of whatever the card is resting on. :|

As far is I can see the assembly is flush. There are very few shadows in the image. hard to say for sure but I'd guess the unit is nearly an inch tall.

From the picture it looks to be venting into the case and added 120Watts to the heat mix of the case just does not fit with cooling. Could this card be sitting in a coved area and actually have more of this sink on the back side taking more heat from the rear of the card. At least that would vent outside the case

From the way the card is sitting, I'd say there is no heatsink on the rear.

I'm wondering if this is a 128mb model or 256mb model.

Judging by the heatpipes near the memory on the front I'd say much the same would be required for the rear if memory were present there.

So much for GDDR-3 needing less voltage and cooling than DDR-2 so far though.

DaveBaumann said:
Depends on what you are doing with the memory.

I'd like to have my memory store information, and then be able to access it for retrieval of that information. (As opposed to say, having the memory do my wash or chew my food for me.)

I have a question.

PCI add in boards face up. AGP boards face down.
Now, which way will PCI Express boards face?

Surley if graphics cards face up we wouldn't have this problem.

DaveBaumann said:
Depends on what you are doing with the memory.
Well, if rumors are to be believed the 16 pipe R420 may also feature 800mhz memory. nVidia is only running theirs around 550 - 600 mhz, so one can only assume nVidia's cooling is more modest than ATi's will need to be, unless ATi is goind to run the ram in DDR-1 compatability mode or something (what you are doing with the memory.

Back