Number of Xbox Live users reaches 1 million

And I am still at a loss of what it is they're actually paying for and what it is they get in return, other than the ability to play online, which is completely FREE on other platforms...

there is the friend tracking system which alows you to message/monitor/join/invite friends accross the entire library of live games. also, the voice comunication is all run out of microsoft servers instead of relying on bandwidth of the end user's server. the downloadable updates to games are really nice too. it is all well woth the 50$ a year in my opinion.

kyleb said:
there is the friend tracking system which alows you to message/monitor/join/invite friends accross the entire library of live games. also, the voice comunication is all run out of microsoft servers instead of relying on bandwidth of the end user's server. the downloadable updates to games are really nice too. it is all well woth the 50$ a year in my opinion.

Not profitable. :)
But of course, Microsoft can take quite a few (unlimited?) blows.

Guden Oden said:
And I am still at a loss of what it is they're actually paying for and what it is they get in return, other than the ability to play online, which is completely FREE on other platforms...

The only thing I really see myself getting it for is halo 2. The one thing I think that is really cool that they are making it so you it matches you with the same ISP, and someone that is really close to you. Other places might do that, but I don't really know of any because I'm not that big of a gaming buff. But if I have to pay $50 for seamless online play (which I better get) then I will pay it. I just can't stand playing halo pc now, with how crappy and laggy it is.

kyleb said:

What kinda connection do they have?

Guden Oden:
And I am still at a loss of what it is they're actually paying for and what it is they get in return,
The expanded functionality, community, and security that's possible when the service is actually being supported by a network.

Evil_Cloud said:
Not profitable. :)
But of course, Microsoft can take quite a few (unlimited?) blows.

ya i doubt they are pulling much if any profit off the xbox live fees, but it isn't like that really matters in the long run for microsoft.

Polarbear53 said:
What kinda connection do they have?

are you asking what kind of connection does microsoft's xbox live system have? i don't know off hand, but i'd imagine they run it right off huge backbones in various stratigic locations.

But it's not a network is it?

You have to get their with your own ISP (broadband only). They have 3 huge data centers in Seattle, London and Tokyo.

What do they do there, track your friends lists (including what games they're playing) and of course a billing system.

They are not hosting servers for gameplay except maybe for a few exceptions. Some XBL games let you dedicate a console to be a server, enabling more players to be hosted.

Certainly no server infrastructure like SOCOM 2 which is hosting thousands of games simultaneously, up to 16-players each.

microsoft does run their own "xservers" for all the games with dedicated server options. also, as i said before, they run the voice servers for all the games out there.

thop said:
1 million users or 1 million account names?
Microsoft says "more than one million people are now members" so since they're using present tense, I tend to think they're talking about current--that is to say active--members; subscribers.

Still, the different phraseology companies use and what they COULD mean are getting on my nerves anymore since I don't know whether to trust them or not. Most companies are going to swing their numbers whatever way benefits them most, so whenever they deviate from the straight-forward terminology that can't BE mis-interpreted I get antsy. :?

In this case MS has tossed off a lot of other stats as well, so if you really pay attention to online figures you'll know the frame of reference to put them in anyway.

I don't suppose they're going to divulge their churn rate.

A lot of games now come with free 2-month memberships. I wonder if you still have to give up a credit card number to get the trial account.

They are also selling 3-month memberships for $40, without headset I believe. A pretty steep price but more affordable for kids than spending $70 on the Starter Kit.

Cheating is a big problem in the PC world. With LIVE if a person installs some sort of cheat, when its detected can they be permanently kicked off of LIVE.

Don't a lot of cheating problems exist with Socom 2?

wco81 said:
They are also selling 3-month memberships for $40, without headset I believe. A pretty steep price but more affordable for kids than spending $70 on the Starter Kit.

it's 6$ a month or 50$ a year; or the starter kit for 70$ for a year, a headset and crimson skies (kick ass game). not steep at all in any respect.

kyleb said:
it's 6$ a month or 50$ a year; or the starter kit for 70$ for a year, a headset and crimson skies (kick ass game). not steep at all in any respect.
I believe he means that a $40 3-month package with no frills is a steep price compared to the other options out there... It's just got a cheaper tag on it.

Of course it DOES have some frills, since it indeed includes the headset, and throws Moto GP in there as well MechAssault, so the $40 package seems like a good-enough deal for people who want to make sure to have the "stuff" but don't feel like paying for a 12-month commitment right out of the gate.

Back