NPD September 2016 Sales Results, Results Ranked by Revenue (Hardware Now, Software Later)

Rangers

Legend
As usual not much as we wait for info to trickle in, and the software charts next week, but Xbox is crowing

http://venturebeat.com/2016/10/13/xbox-one-outsold-playstation-4-again-in-september/

Thanks to our fans, Xbox One was the best-selling console in September in the U.S. for the third month in a row according to NPD Group as well as the best-selling console in September in the U.K. according to GfK Entertainment UK. In addition, Xbox One was the only gen eight console to see year-over-year growth in September in the U.S., Australia, the U.K., and many other countries worldwide.

3rd NPD month in a row, and winning the PS4 Slim intro and price cut month? Didn't see that coming.

I'd argued against the premium features of Xbox S, arguing a 249 price point without those features would have done better, and it's difficult to say what would have been, but certainly the S seems to have done relatively well so far.

Last edited:
??

Dont see why Xbox would be expected to win in the same month PS4 slim came out AND dropped a $50 price cut. Am I missing some sales info?

I thought it might be close because Amazon was close.

we can actually say Amazon was "wrong" this month, maybe for the first time this gen, as the top PS4 SKU was #24, the top XBO SKU was #30, and XBO still won the month.

I expect PS4 to win October on PSVR. It's not a console, but it should entice some new PS4 buyers. Then, from November indefinitely until Scorpio, I'd expect PS4 to win every month with PS4Pro.

If you're buying a PS4 and are willing to spend $400, why haven't you already bought one? If you're waiting for the price to drop to $300, why would you then change your plan to get a Pro?

If you're buying a PS4 and are willing to spend $400, why haven't you already bought one? If you're waiting for the price to drop to $300, why would you then change your plan to get a Pro?
Because the pro seems like a VERY good deal compared to the standard ps4 now. and the ps4 seems bit too expensive compared to pro.
Where someone was going to get the slim, now their thinking it's just not worth it, so either wait for more of a price cut on slim or save more for pro.

But I do actually agree with your general point though.
So it will be interesting in the coming months.
Being so (relatively) closely priced has made things very strange.

If you've got a 4K TV and are interested in 4K media then then XboneS has got to be tempting, particularly if you have any interest in Gears and Forza. And even if you don't have a 4K telly right now ... I know folks who are going to pull the trigger this year simply because they want the games, they already own a 360, and because (and this is the interesting bit) they're getting to get a 4K HDR telly "in the next couple of years".

If you want a new console right now, and plan to have a 4K HDR telly in the nearish future ... then Xbones has appeal that the PS4 slim and even the PS4P doesn't have. I didn't have this pinned as a major factor, but maybe it's a bigger deal than I though.

Even if you don't plan to buy many 4K Blurays, by supporting them, making a big deal out of it, and being affordable you create an impression about the device and about its "future proofing."

I think XBS is the superior machine in terms of value and features. But IIRC didnt the price reduction for slim happen like in the middle of September? It looks bleak for Sony PR wise but if the sales are fairly close and Sony is making good margins on each unit while MS is losing money, i dont see the big deal long term, Sony can drop price if needed to boost sales in the future. MS is already pushing it in terms of how cheap they can go

I think from what I understand the real surprise is UK. There was a drop to 150£ for OG PS4 to sell off stock and it still didn't manage to beat XBOS.

As many have indicated there is little value in upgrading to PS4 Slim. And then existing console purchasers have to choose between 4Pro and XBOS and the value proposition may be in XBO favour when you consider the price point.

The key driver being that buying XBOS provides a completely new and larger library of games (inc. BC games now) and you are future proofed for UHD. It's also the best looking console on the market right now as well.

With 4Pro it's really about whether the console is providing good enough value for you today. If you demand more and you love PS4 games you will get a Pro. If your an XBO owner looking to get A PS4, you'd probably buy the Pro variant (if power meant that much to you, but coming from XBO, if you really liked the system, power is probably not the strongest selling point. I dunno actually. I still don't want a PS4, and if I had to get one It would need to be really cheap)

If you are an 360 convert, well, XBO could be a very compelling reason to come back. The XB holy trinity of games is done and all of them are well supported and have healthy populations.

If XBOS wins October, MS should be bold for Black Friday and cut the price hard. This is their time to win back their population.

Recall that when both new consoles launched they had 1 million pre-orders. With 1 million more sales during BF. I don't see any possible way of 4Pro doing PS4 pre-order numbers, people haven't been waiting 8 years!

But I can see Black Friday sales being extremely high if the price is right, and there is no way Pro is going to be discounted hard on BF. It's MS opportunity right here to cut the legs off 4Pro by dropping the price of XBOS hard.

Sony can drop price if needed to boost sales in the future. MS is already pushing it in terms of how cheap they can go
is that really the case though?
just because they may make more on each console, doesn't mean that can afford to sell it cheaper as a company.
how much cheaper could they afford to sell it, and would that be enough to make it better value compared to xos in the eyes of consumers?

Because twice more performance for only $100 more and 1TB HDD. On forums and such I have seen many people waiting for the Pro instead of the UC4 slim bundle. That's new PS4 users that want to play Bloodborne, TLOU and all exclusives, not only UC4 (they know there will be sales on UC4 anyways). And the UC4 UHD-less bundle is not enticing enough at this price.

If you've got a 4K TV and are interested in 4K media then then XboneS has got to be tempting, particularly if you have any interest in Gears and Forza. And even if you don't have a 4K telly right now ... I know folks who are going to pull the trigger this year simply because they want the games, they already own a 360, and because (and this is the interesting bit) they're getting to get a 4K HDR telly "in the next couple of years".

If you want a new console right now, and plan to have a 4K HDR telly in the nearish future ... then Xbones has appeal that the PS4 slim and even the PS4P doesn't have. I didn't have this pinned as a major factor, but maybe it's a bigger deal than I though.

Even if you don't plan to buy many 4K Blurays, by supporting them, making a big deal out of it, and being affordable you create an impression about the device and about its "future proofing."

Good on Microsoft but I don't think losing money on each XB1 S sold (with those deals) is a good idea if consumers are just upgrading or are just watching UHD movies.

"Future proofing". Remember that's only promises.

Like Sony just reiterated recently, they are making money on all their gaming hardware since PS4. And Microsoft were forced to do those crazy deals + free UHD drive + desesperate Scorpio spec sheet one year and an half before because, basically, they panicked with PSVR and PS4 Pro, were caught their pants down having nothing but desperate words to counter Sony for a whole year.

They lost last year and they know they are going to lost even bigger november and december, now that those that wanted to upgrade to XB1S have already done so.

Because twice more performance for only $100 more and 1TB HDD.

This.
$400 PS4 Pro really turned the $300 non-Pro into a really bad value for Sony's ecossystem.
It's 100% more performance and 100% more storage for 33% more money.
The Pro provides better IQ and/or framerates even to people with 1080p TV, not to mention the 4K and PSVR crowd.

The Slim will only be worth it when it comes down to $250 or less, which I suspect will be happening during these holidays.

I won't be surprised if during November + December alone the Pro+Slim duo manages to sell more units than the Xbone's full H2 2016 worldwide.

I would think that a large portion, perhaps a majority of Pro buyers are already current PS4 owners. However PS4 total sales numbers are still far lower than any other Playstation home console in history, so imo it's safe to say that the market still has plenty of untapped potential. New buyers enter the market all the time and I feel like there is certainly enough customers for this. It's a new up to date Playstation that offers improved experience on old and new games, what's not to like? I think the Pro looks far more enticing at $399 than the slim at $299, not everyone agrees, but many do.

I am sure the Pro will sell well. I do think MS has made some very good moves lately and their product line and future once again looks promising, Scorpio has a lot of potential if they don't price it out of reach.

It's a new up to date Playstation that offers improved experience on old and new games, what's not to like? I think the Pro looks far more enticing at $399 than the slim at $299, not everyone agrees, but many do.
The improved experience only applies to titles that are Pro patched. Otherwise it will run exactly as PS4.

Same applies to Scorpio I think, but games released with dynamic resolution may scale on their own, "maybe?"

The improved experience only applies to titles that are Pro patched. Otherwise it will run exactly as PS4.

Same applies to Scorpio I think, but games released with dynamic resolution may scale on their own, "maybe?"

I initially had "some" written before the old, but removed it... My sentence is true if even one old game is improved, so deal with that :)
New games are given to have a Neo-patch, the degree of improvement will vary, but it should be at least little bit better in 99% of games. BTW. even Xbox One S offers better experience in many games compared to the regular One, the HDR of course, but also smoother framerates. Pro should do the same.

Because twice more performance for only $100 more and 1TB HDD. On forums and such I have seen many people waiting for the Pro instead of the UC4 slim bundle.
When you say 'many', you mean 'some'? In an industry talking about millions of console sales a quarter, I doubt the gaming forums are representative. I'm finding it difficult to believe that consumer attitudes and budgeting are going to be radically different from the norm. For any purchase and budget, there's always a more powerful option at a higher price, if you spend a little more. So why do budget items ever sell? Why do consoles sell more when the price drops $50?

I guess the argument here is one of value. We'll have to wait and see if that's really the case. I for one don't think we'll see PS4 Pro outselling PS4 Cheap.

I think XBS is the superior machine in terms of value and features.
Value is debatable. PS4 Slim is still a more powerful and better machine for gaming than XBS.
I guess 4k marketing does the thing. Some even think passing PS4 through XBS makes games better at 4k.

is that really the case though?
just because they may make more on each console, doesn't mean that can afford to sell it cheaper as a company.
how much cheaper could they afford to sell it, and would that be enough to make it better value compared to xos in the eyes of consumers?

The higher your margins are, the more you can afford to drop prices if need be. So i dont really understand your argument? Unless you mean that stockholders dont like making less money but the same rule applies to Microsoft. Xbox Division is not allowed to gobble up MS financials forever

Anyways, IHS calculated that the Xbox One S BOM is 24 dollars more than the latest Xbox One SKU. This is primarily because of the 2x more expensive BD

Unless GDDR5 prices are exactly the same as in 2013, i see Sony having more room to adjust prices since they skipped the 4k BD, even in 2013 their blu ray drive was cheaper because it was inhouse manufactured

Value is debatable. PS4 Slim is still a more powerful and better machine for gaming than XBS.
I guess 4k marketing does the thing. Some even think passing PS4 through XBS makes games better at 4k.

Right but anyone who cared about that already bought a PS4. If you care about that now, then Pro is a more powerful and better machine for gaming than Slim, if you care about price then regular PS4 can be found cheaper right now

So what value does it have in the lineup right now?

Back