NPD July 2010

top-20-july-2010.png

PSP is fine. It's still in active use. In my recent trip to Asia, it's the only console I saw people playing in public transport. That and cellphone gaming + meddling. It's Sony's approach to PSP that's in question.

Casual gaming has popularized gaming on mobile platforms. It puts a new level of accessibility and ease to gaming. Sony has to catch up in this area even though they have SOE.

In the USA the system is dead and with MS launching win phone 7 sony wont have a chance with another traditional handheld.

In fact I think the 3DS will be the last traditional handheld to make any sort of moves in the general public.

But the rage demo on the iphone truely shows that portable gaming will be more and more on cell phones.

In the USA the system is dead and with MS launching win phone 7 sony wont have a chance with another traditional handheld.
I don't see how you can see windows 7 phone toppling iphone AND android? iphone OS is slicker, smoother, and more polished, while Android is FREE, so where is room for win 7?

I don't see how you can see windows 7 phone toppling iphone AND android? iphone OS is slicker, smoother, and more polished, while Android is FREE, so where is room for win 7?

Andriod is hardly FREE as you like to put it.

Win 7 phone has plenty of room to grow. Where was the room for andriod the last two years?

No while iphone is stuck in the middle ages with its clunky interface , and andriod has a dozen phones running almost as many verisons. MS will deliever a great OS with gaming in mind that attaches to a large eco system already in place.

One place with room for win7 is gaming and for those who wouldn't mind playing mass effect mini games to get cash or items for mass effect 3 linked through live. Or people willing to play sabaac for The old republic when stuck waiting for a flight and able to make money for the character.

Or a tower defense verison of halo.

Or people just wanting to increase gamer points.

There are alot of place for windows phone 7 to grow. Its the same places a sony andriod psp has to grow except unlike sony , ms is able to actually develop the software needed to make it work just look at live verses psn.

I've now been lucky enough to use all 3 OS's and win 7 phone is the best one out of the three (i've used an iphone 4 , samsung moment with andriod 2.1 and a beta win 7 phone from samsung)

I don't know about that. PSP doesn't do well in US anyway but as a homebrew machine, it's pretty interesting. Windows Mobile 7 has bigger problems to worry about than competing with a dedicated gaming console. It needs to compete with the other phones first.

But the rage demo on the iphone truely shows that portable gaming will be more and more on cell phones.

This I kinda agree, but as John Carmack says... he's more interested in the output. Gaming requires input and output, amongst other things. So if a dedicated game console like 3DS or something else can satisfy the users better, then they may have a shot with the core gamers. Or a phone can do a little more to appeal to gaming needs (hence, gaming phone).

But really, without seeing the product, it's hard to say anything meaningful. At least with 3DS, we have more concrete things to oggle and talk about.

Sony/MS PR

NPD: July 2010
Top PlayStation Highlights
- PS3 hardware sold 214k units in the month of July 2010.
- There are 13 million PS3 units in living rooms across the U.S. to date
- July marks 12 months of consecutive year on year growth for PS3 platform
- PS3 hardware unit sales are up 76% since July 2009 and is up 45% year to date (Jan-July 09 vs Jan –July 10).

SCEA Statement
“With the holidays just around the corner, there’s no question the critical role video games will play to drive consumer interest and entertainment spend this season. We know consumers are looking for more reasons to gather in their living rooms and are looking for content options that are compelling, relevant and offer fun for the entire family. PlayStation is the best company to deliver this total entertainment solution for every consumer. We’re also amply prepared to feed the consumer demand with new innovations like PlayStation Move coming next month, and unbelievably realistic 3D gaming experiences like Gran Turismo 5, in addition to anticipated games such as LittleBigPlanet 2 and EyePet coming later this holiday.” -- Patrick Seybold, Sr. Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA

MS
Continued demand for the Xbox 360 console and anticipation for the forthcoming Kinect technology led to an increase in Microsoft’s console hardware sales compared to July 2009, up 118% year-over-year. Industry-wide trends show console sales remain strong, but Xbox 360 had its strongest July, and best calendar year to-date, on record.

· More than 443,000 Xbox 360 consoles were sold in the U.S. in July, surpassing both other current generation consoles. For the seventh consecutive month, the Xbox 360 continued to outsell PlayStation 3 at retail, and this was the second consecutive month the Xbox 360 has outsold the Wii at retail. Overall, the increased console sales contributed to $290 million in total spend at retail on Xbox 360 hardware, software and accessories in July.
· Four of July’s best-selling console games are on Xbox 360. “NCAA Football 11” for Xbox 360 was the overall #1 selling console game in July, with more than 368,000 units sold. In addition, three other Xbox 360 game titles took top sales honors in July, including: “Crackdown 2,” “Red Dead Redemption,” and “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2,” which were #3, #5, and #8 in the console market, respectively.
· Bucking the industry trend of slowing software sales, sales have been consistent on the Xbox 360 platform as Microsoft had at least two games in the top 10 every month in 2010. In addition, the value of the recently introduced Xbox 360 4GB console and the forthcoming Kinect technology continue to drive console adoption.
· U.S. consumers spent more than $125 million on Xbox 360 games alone last month, driving Microsoft’s industry-leading software attach rate of 8.9.

Retail demand for the new Xbox 360 250GB console remains high, and strong momentum is expected to continue for the next several months given the recent introduction of the Xbox 360 4GB model

Every goddamn month.

The PSP is doing fine everywhere except the US. In Japan it's in a comfortable 2nd place (YTD 10% behind the DS, 37% ahead of the Wii, which is 3rd). Actually, it sold twice as many units in Japan in 2010 so far as it did in the US. And it consistently sells more software than the Wii.
If you follow EU charts, there too you'll find that PSP games have a much easier time charting than in the US.

Sony will not abandon a platform that's rolling in good business. The US is not the only place of relevance in the world.

The US simply hates portable gaming. It's all blue ocean, tie-in shovelware for kids and piracy, PSP and DS alike. Dragon Quest IX opening at maybe 150k should tell you as much.

Anyway,
1z2q1hv.png

(version with launches aligned)

30kbkmh.png

But quite possibly the most relevant country in an NPD thread.

Nintendo have published eight of those titles! Now that's how to monetise the gaming market!

Add to that, NDS + Wii = 13 titles. Whether Nintendo is publishing the titles or not, that's a lot of revenue from publishing + licensing even in a traditionally slow month.

And interesting that 4 of those are solidly targetted at kids. Another 5 are kids mostly, but with some attraction for adults (Harry Potter and Super Mario games)

Also an interesting comparison between PSP and DS. Both in Japan and the US, the PSP tends to target an older demographic while the DS tends to target children and young teens. There's exceptions on both sides of that, of course, but in general they tend to follow that.

Which makes it interesting that if you market to Children, you will be universally accepted regardless of market conditions. Whereas for portable gaming, at least in the US, the older demographic doesn't seem to buy into it.

It's amazing how much control children have over their parents pocketbook.

Regards,
SB

Super Mario may not be a kid's game. Need to look at the stats. It may be a gamer's game, young and old.

The people at work who recommended Wii games to me are all twenty something. And they ranked Super Mario first.

May be Nintendo knows how to make games that appeal to "everyone" (busy people with little time, kids, female gamers, etc.)

Super Mario may not be a kid's game. Need to look at the stats. It may be a gamer's game, young and old.

The people at work who recommended Wii games to me are all twenty something. And they ranked Super Mario first.

May be Nintendo knows how to make games that appeal to "everyone" (busy people with little time, kids, female gamers, etc.)

Aye, Nintendo's big strength is they know how to appeal to children. If they get you hooked at a young age, you'll continue with those games. See Super Mario games... It's ostensibly targetted at children and young teens, but remains appealing to adults through both nostalgia and appropriately engaging gameplay.

Neither Sony nor MS up to this point has seriously pursued children as a focus of their marketing or game making. Yes there's the movie tie ins and they occasionally throw a bone to the children (Eye Pet and Viva Pinata for example), but it's almost an afterthought rather than a focused direction of developement.

MS is starting to make noise that it's interested in going that route, but it remains to be seen how serious they are about it. Sony still appears to not have much of a focus there although they have scattered efforts here and there (Free Realms for example).

That's a large part of why Nintendo has always remained relevant even when they haven't been on top of the market, IMO.

How many people bought Wii and NDS not for themselves but for their children or grandchildren for example? I'd say a much larger percentage (of install base) versus either of the other consoles. Children...the easy way to get parents and grandparents to spend money. :)

Regards,
SB

Games like AngryBird, or Tetris can hook people at any age. Not just children. One doesn't have to start as a child to like them. It may be a misconception to think that they are for kids primarily.

When I was in Asia, *Everyone* (Every iPhone owner I talked to and their kids) plays AngryBird.

Will need to play Super Mario before I know if it is one of those. :p

Aye, Nintendo's big strength is they know how to appeal to children.

Games like AngryBird, or Tetris can hook people at any age. Not just children. One doesn't have to start as a child to like them. It may be a misconception to think that they are for kids primarily.
I think if you can appeal to children you can appeal to everyone inner child. Or rather, there are some three divisions of market - childrens games that are targeted at children's tastes, like EyePet, which adults can't relate to and get bored with; serious games that are either horrific or complicated and deter a lot of people; and fun games with universal appeal. Pixar movies are built around this last idea, and I don't think it's by age discrimination, "we'll put in this for the children and this for the adults," but a broad appreciation of human beings and what common likes irrespective of how many years one has on the clock.

I think Nintendo's great success is they enable adults to let go and just play without feeling self-conscious, whereas the other consoles tend to have 'serious games for serious gamers' which limits their games appeal. Who here has played and enjoyed EyePet, rather than got it for their kids? How many games have people bought for them and their children? On Nintendo's platforms, Nintendo's titles are unviersally for everyone. Gamers begrudge the lack of hardcore titles, but that lack of discrimination has made for an incredibly profitable generation for Ninty.

AFAIK Starcraft 2 has sold about 750k in the US in July, according to NPD. Might have sucked away some bucks from the hardcore console games? It runs on 2-4 years old PCs too, so a lot of console gamers can still have a good time with it, even without a highend system...

Andriod is hardly FREE as you like to put it.

Win 7 phone has plenty of room to grow. Where was the room for andriod the last two years?

MS first issue with Window's 7 will be credibility - they dumped the Kin after ~60 days and I would like you clarify what you mean by "where was the room for Andriod the last 2 years". If you are referring to development a lot has happened the last 2 years with the Android OS and as of last fall the hardware is finally hitting its stride too. If we are speaking about market penetration then I suggest you look at what the analyst say because Andriod is expected to be the number 2 phone OS by 2012 behind Nokia's Symbian. For the record 28% of all phones sold the US in the second quarter of 2010 where Android BTW. So again I'm not sure what you mean by room for android but if we are talking market share Android is starting to do just that.

No while iphone is stuck in the middle ages with its clunky interface ,

That is your opinion - most would disagree with you. A better argument against Apple would be the closed nature of the platform.

and andriod has a dozen phones running almost as many verisons.

This is a somewhat legitimate point however most software written will run on 1.5, 1.6. 2.0/2.1 and 2.2. Android version 3.0 is suppose to address most of the market fragmentation issues.

MS will deliever a great OS with gaming in mind that attaches to a large eco system already in place.

I am sure MS will do a decent job with the OS but then again the Zune was a good device too but it didn't do well. MS is smart to try and leverage Live but we will have to wait and see how many people see the value in that approach.

One place with room for win7 is gaming and for those who wouldn't mind playing mass effect mini games to get cash or items for mass effect 3 linked through live.

Nokia already did gaming on the Ngage platform and it never really took off, the potential might be there for Windows 7 but will the demand match it? Historically the cell phone has been better suited for the type of gaming experience you see on the Iphone. At least that is what the actual market seems to be bearing out at the moment.

Or people willing to play sabaac for The old republic when stuck waiting for a flight and able to make money for the character.

Or a tower defense verison of halo.

Or people just wanting to increase gamer points.

Again this is all speculation, if anything the success of the DS suggest that portable gaming isn't about all that, it is a more casual experience. Marketing a mass market device like a phone to the hardcore gamer is more likely to be a disaster than a success - history shows us that the actual market for serious gaming on portable unit has been small or at-least not easily penetrated. Perhaps the hardware capabilities of today's SOC will change all this but at this point there is very little evidence this just because MS builds an derivative OS and adds Live functionality it will be a success.

There are alot of place for windows phone 7 to grow. Its the same places a sony andriod psp has to grow except unlike sony , ms is able to actually develop the software needed to make it work just look at live verses psn.

MS and Sony are virtually neck and neck world wide (which is relevant because the cell phone market is much much bigger than good old US of A) but if your point is Live versus PSN I agree MS has done a better job. With that said if networked gaming was so important why hasn't Apple or Nintendo jumped on that bandwagon? MS might think so but then again MS thought the Kin would be a success too. My point here is just because you can do something and do it well doesn't mean everyone will be interested in paying you to do it.

I've now been lucky enough to use all 3 OS's and win 7 phone is the best one out of the three (i've used an iphone 4 , samsung moment with andriod 2.1 and a beta win 7 phone from samsung)

Again this is all your opinion many of the mobile phone sites have said Windows 7 looks decent but it is completely derivative with what all the other phone developers are doing right now. IMO I think the advantage that MS has that I would like to see them leverage is the integration with the rest of your windows desktop experience. Android, Iphone, Symbian, Meego/Maemo - none of them integrate smoothly enough with Outlook as an example. Rim and Windows Mobile are far and above the better at this and I can't understand why.

MS, Nokia and Rim all have something to prove at this point in the mobile phone space because the momentum is with Apple and Android/open handset alliance. Just because MS puts Halo on Windows 7 doesn't mean all the teenagers who love Halo and love their Iphone will cancel their contract with AT&T and buy a Windows 7 device.

Back