NPD July 2010

holy moly at the Xbox 360 numbers.... good little summer boost there... with Reach and other notabes still on the schedule, they should finish strong end of year

PlayStation 3 214.5K
PSP 84.0K
Xbox 360 443.5K
Wii 253.9K
Nintendo DS 398.4K

Gamasutra analysis...

at-a-glance-jul-2010.png

xbox-360-lead-over-ps3.png

est-sku-breakdown-jul-2010.png

There's more to it than the charts, but figured I'd start with those and let you check out the rest...

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6027/npd_behind_the_numbers_july_2010.php

Tommy McClain

wow the ps2 only sold ~25k, seems unbelievable though possible.
Interesting sony ps2 shipped more ps2's last quarter than MS shipped xbox360's so theyre selling somewhere which shows starkly WRT console sales that US != world

Gamasutra analysis...

at-a-glance-jul-2010.png

Tommy McClain

What's particularly impressive here is that MS once again took over 1/3 of all console related revenue for the month (290 million USD) with only 1 console and no handheld.

wow the ps2 only sold ~25k, seems unbelievable though possible.
Interesting sony ps2 shipped more ps2's last quarter than MS shipped xbox360's so theyre selling somewhere which shows starkly WRT console sales that US != world

Yes, PS2 is doing especially well in countries where the X360 and PS3 are unavailable, which obviously will have no relation to the markets in the US, Japan, or EU.

Regards,
SB

Yes. 400k buying a 360 console this month means that the other 279million Americans who don't own a 360 will never buy kinect.
What he meant was, why aren't these buyers waiting for the Kinect bundle which is much better value? Do they not know about Kinect or the bundles, or do they not intend to get Kinect?

I'd say given a 3 month wait, these buyers want the machine and games now (something to do over the summer holiday!) rather than wait 3 months for a better economy.

What he meant was, why aren't these buyers waiting for the Kinect bundle which is much better value? Do they not know about Kinect or the bundles, or do they not intend to get Kinect?

I'd say given a 3 month wait, these buyers want the machine and games now (something to do over the summer holiday!) rather than wait 3 months for a better economy.

Sure and there will be a halo bundle before the kinect bundle, does he think that no one will buy that because kinect is imminent? There's always another deal. And the kinect bundle is only a good deal if you really want kinect. However, buying a console now certainly doesn't exclude anyone from being able to purchase kinect. Stores will most certainly have kinect value bundles over the holidays that exclude the console. And of course there's plenty of gamers who probably aren't all that interested in kinect, just like there are plenty of gamers who have never had any interest in a Wii. That certainly hasn't been an issue for Wii sales, there's no reason that Kinect can't do well without appealing to everyone.

Good sales of the 360 now certainly is not, in anyway, an ill omen for kinect.

Beyond the not waiting aspect, I'd imagine people that are interested in X360 purely due to Kinect aren't going to be buying an X360 before it launches anyways.

Personally, I don't see the connection between X360's sold now and the X360 Kinect bundles when Kinect launches. I still expect far more Kinect bundles to sell than Kinect addons. Which would be the opposite if the supposition was that people want Kinect but can't wait to get the X360. I'm guessing that was the thought behind the original post that started this offshoot?

I just don't think there's much of a connection. Any significant impact of Kinect hype on X360 hardware sales just isn't going to be seen until Kinect launches, IMO.

Regards,
SB

My sons 360 was dying, he got mine when I purchased the new 360. We both have (had) 120GB drives making the 4GB Kinect bundle a non-starter for us.

Back