Nokia's Present & Future

There are only two things keeping me from getting a Lumia 1020 asap:

1. No user replaceable battery. This is super important for business travel as I usually swap out my battery between the work day and dinner.

2. No SD card. I keep a huge music library on my microSD for the long flights to Asia. With such a great camera, I'd need even more space.

So let's get that corrected Lumia 1025 out soon.

Ditto on the SD, specially if there's only 32GB in the phone.
As for the battery, why not just carry one of those portable chargers?
You're out of luck if you're holding out for a nokia flagship with interchangeable battery..

nVidia: Yes, please take a look at our Android reference platform. The performance should be the same.
OEM: But I want a WP8 reference platform!
nVidia: Sorry, we can't invest in that, the potential market is to small. But if you sign a contract we'll produce drivers.

Yes, that sounds like business..

1. No user replaceable battery. This is super important for business travel as I usually swap out my battery between the work day and dinner.

2. No SD card. I keep a huge music library on my microSD for the long flights to Asia. With such a great camera, I'd need even more space.

There's supposed to be a battery pack with integrated tripod connector coming out (http://blog.gsmarena.com/more-photo...ery-pack-show-the-grip-tripod-mount-and-more/ ). So, it is at least possible to extend the battery of the phone, although it also makes it more bulky.

The lack of an SD card slot is baffling, however. They have it on their low end phones (The Nokia Lumia 521 I've been looking at for a pay as you go phone has one) But it is completely mind boggling considering this is a camera that you are meant to take pictures on. You would think some form of memory card would be mandatory so you can take a lot of pictures.

Regards,
SB

I'd expect a 64GB Lumia 1020 carrying a hefty price premium before too long. Possibly even a 128GB version with a preposterous price premium? MicroSD extension is good for the end user but not so good for the bottom line.

Linus Thorvald's Linux is different from the Linux used by Android (wakelocks and a lots of other stuff).
Hence unrelated to the Win8/WP8 family.
nVidia: Yes, please take a look at our Android reference platform. The performance should be the same.
OEM: But I want a WP8 reference platform!
nVidia: Sorry, we can't invest in that, the potential market is to small. But if you sign a contract we'll produce drivers.
You're an idiot if you think any company can get a design win with that attitude, let alone get a client to switch suppliers away from the market leader.

#1 can by partially addressed by the camera grip, which has another 1000 mAh in it, but I agree with you on both points.

Unfortunately, I'm not convinced Nokia cares about people with those requirements, just like Apple and HTC don't. We'll just have to hope that Samsung puts a great compact camera in the Galaxy Note 3, but I'm not holding my breath after seeing their half-assed effort in the S4 zoom.

I want the 1020 and GN2 need to have a bastard child for the ultimate mobile device. Kinda like the hypothetical offspring off LeBron and Serena...

As for the battery, why not just carry one of those portable chargers?
You're out of luck if you're holding out for a nokia flagship with interchangeable battery..

I have one of those portable, external packs and it's a bit strange to be at Karaoke with customers with a phone on a leash to another box trying to take photos after beers, sake and whiskey ;) Plus I'm a phone in front pocket type so that's out with an extra box. I guess you could carry a phone+external batt in a coat pocket but I don't usually wear a coat.

I'd expect a 64GB Lumia 1020 carrying a hefty price premium before too long. Possibly even a 128GB version with a preposterous price premium? MicroSD extension is good for the end user but not so good for the bottom line.

Thank you Apple and Google.

Since none of us have seen the W8/WP8 kernel source code we can not know. But it seems very likely that the drivers are not the same on W8/WP8. But a counterexample to my belief would be to install WP8 on Surface RT.

You're an idiot if you think any company can get a design win with that attitude, let alone get a client to switch suppliers away from the market leader.

Oh, I feel so much more stupid now. So my belief that companies do not invest in the WP8 market (because the volumes are to low) now makes me an idiot?

Yes, that sounds like business..

I was struggling to keep awake when I wrote this and now I notice how this sounds ironic..

I actually meant "Yes, that sounds like something that could happen in this business".

1 - Please tone down on frontal comments. I'm actually surprised at how patient some users have been to keep with something of an argument with you.
That attitude won't take you anywhere.

2 - Spending resources to get design wins for WP8 doesn't look like a smart thing to do.
Qualcomm would be confortable no matter what (thanks to gazillions of Android design wins), but the other SoC manufacturers are probably wondering about when will microsoft pull the plug on windows phone to create an unified OS for mobile and desktop, using x86.

Mize, both point are nice to have. Unfortunately nokia refuses to provide user replaceable batt and mSD slot for its flagship device.

on the other hand, the lowest cheapest luma have both of them :/

Mize, both point are nice to have. Unfortunately nokia refuses to provide user replaceable batt and mSD slot for its flagship device.

on the other hand, the lowest cheapest luma have both of them :/

Maddening. Seriously, I would go buy a 1020 tomorrow if it had those two features even though I'm pretty much anti-WP8 - but it's only because of the camera. Lower end Lumias are useless to me. Sigh. Just put the damn removable battery and mSD on a "1025" and charge me double.

Wow, just looked it up and the 808 Pureview has both mSD and a user replaceable battery. In some sense that makes the 1020 a downgrade.

2 - Spending resources to get design wins for WP8 doesn't look like a smart thing to do.
What resources? NVidia has already invested in Windows on ARM. It's a SUNK COST. They've done virtually all of the work. They even have 4G working on RT.

I'm not talking about Mediatek, Broadcom, TI, etc. I'm talking specifically about NVidia.

I have yet to see any information from you or tuna that Nvidia needs to write new drivers for anything significant to use Tegra in a Windows Phone. I've shown you that all low level driver code that works on RT will work on WP8. You two are doing nothing but empty speculation.

Microsoft's #1 priority is getting devs on board. That's the only significant weakness of WP8 that you see in Nokia reviews. A single SoC across WP8 products works towards that goal. They've proven that they can run their OS kernel on an NVidia SoC, and that's more than enough leverage to avoid being ripped off by Qualcomm.

I have yet to see any information from you or tuna that Nvidia needs to write new drivers for anything significant to use Tegra in a Windows Phone. I've shown you that all low level driver code that works on RT will work on WP8. You two are doing nothing but empty speculation.

All you have shown us is the "driver model" quote from Motorola. That does not mean that the drivers are ABI or even API compatible. But it is probably pretty easy to port them from WP8 to W8 and vice versa.

Maddening. Seriously, I would go buy a 1020 tomorrow if it had those two features even though I'm pretty much anti-WP8 - but it's only because of the camera. Lower end Lumias are useless to me. Sigh. Just put the damn removable battery and mSD on a "1025" and charge me double.
There has to be something going on behind the scenes for these decisions.

Consider that the LG Optimus G has microSD in the E970 model but not the E973/E975/LS970. Different carriers choose whether they want the SD model or not. WTF?

I think it partly has to do with their exclusivity deal with AT&T. They're offering a 50GB "free" AT&T Locker, which will increase dependency on bigger data plans and help lock people in. While they aren't in a position to make demands to Samsung, with HTC's and Nokia's high end phones they don't want to make people think they're getting ripped off by the 32GB iPhone. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple gives $30 of that to AT&T as a sales incentive.

I read on ubergizmos review on the nexus 7-2 that adding a micro sd slot reportedly would have only cost an additional $4.

So its certainly not a BOM cost to worry about, other factors come into play im sure.

I read on ubergizmos review on the nexus 7-2 that adding a micro sd slot reportedly would have only cost an additional $4.

So its certainly not a BOM cost to worry about, other factors come into play im sure.
I have the same reaction at home as a consumer. But then I put on my engineer's hat and I talk to systems people and find myself arguing for hours about how to save $0.50 here and there.

The margins in a device like this are razor thin. Don't look the total price, look at the difference $4 makes on the final profit. Companies are rarely willing to increase the sticker prices for a feature that most people don't care about.

I have the same reaction at home as a consumer. But then I put on my engineer's hat and I talk to systems people and find myself arguing for hours about how to save $0.50 here and there.

The margins in a device like this are razor thin. Don't look the total price, look at the difference $4 makes on the final profit. Companies are rarely willing to increase the sticker prices for a feature that most people don't care about.
Which doesn't explain why lower cost Nokia devices which probably have even lower margins have such features which higher end models lack.

Back