No DX12 Software is Suitable for Benchmarking *spawn*

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by trinibwoy, Jun 3, 2016.

1. fuboi

Newcomer

Windows 10 + DX12 GPU is at 41% penetration in the steam hardware survey. DX12 GPU but less than Windows 10 is 33%, DX11 and Vista+ at 12%. I was gonna make the point of removing anything but console/DX12/Vulkan from your engine but it seems DX11 is still too big a share of PC gaming to remove it.

2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

I wouldn't call 12% much of a big share. Likely people on those systems aren't buying big AAA games anyway. Theoretical Vulkan compatibility at 75%+ for Steam is huge.

3. DavidGraham

Veteran

4. pharma

Veteran Regular

Agreed. Per Nvidia's statement the performance difference is between the 1080 release driver 368.81 and the 378.78.
    http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/nvidia-announces-gameworks-dx12

Granted the some improvements may have been included in versions version 368.81, Anandtech did show some of the improvements since 368.81.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/4

5. lanek

Veteran

Here a quick comparaison. ( GTX1080 WQHD ).. But they dont use the 368.81 release driver of 2016 May release. but the last WQHL. ( at contrario of Nvidia.. Nasty HH )
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/qu...-66-versus-378-78-directx-12-performance.html

It seems they have iron some bugs on Hitman DX12, other games.. no improvement... But well that was somewhat expected looking at the so old driver they was use for the comparaison... waiting for more test from different reviewers ofc.

Now the good news, is this show a good progression on one year ( even if some are surely due to patch on games .)

6. pharma

Veteran Regular

Wasn't all this GPU driver "tweaking" on the part of IHV's supposed to disappear on DX12 and left in the hands of developers? Thought I read that somewhere but could be wrong.

7. lanek

Veteran

This dont mean drivers couldnt be bugged ... It is the only game who show an increase on performance across the board with different driver but same version of the game. You have another explanation ? ( the only other one is if the new driver dont render something correctly who increase performance ).

#907 lanek, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    pharma likes this.
  8. Infinisearch

Veteran Regular

You're right for the most part AFAIK, the only thing I can think of for dx12 that can be optimized are PSO (pipeline state objects). (and for some reason I'm thinking split barriers but I think I'm wrong there)

pharma likes this.
  9. Infinisearch

Veteran Regular

Oh I also recently read about root signatures version 1.1 which allows for some driver based optimization. Forgot about that.

10. DavidGraham

Veteran

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3178...2-performance-with-new-game-ready-driver.html

Guru3D found similar gains ONLY in Hitman though, as did WCCFTech. So did HOCP. Interestingly, Anandtech and PCGamesHardware show the 980Ti closing the gap to the FuryX considerably @4K. HOCP found a rather large 14% increase in fps of Hitman @144p0, Making it the only game to receive such meaningful boost.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

Async scheduling would be an opportunity. DX12 just presents the streams, hardware/driver takes it from there.

12. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

DX12 takes things like memory management out of the hands of the driver, but there are often different ways to program the hardware and some things can be tweaked for individual applications.

iroboto, Razor1 and pharma like this.
  13. pharma

Veteran Regular

Alexko, Kej, DavidGraham and 4 others like this.
  14. ToTTenTranz

Further confirmation about what I've been saying regarding Crossfire in DX12, particularly in Square Enix games:

15. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

And what have you been saying?

16. Razor1

Veteran

he should take his own advice, please don't post his videos here, bad enough every one that is pro AMD points to his stuff on other forums......

17. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

That's not very constructive discussion on the video content which is rather compelling. Or are you dismissing the findings completely as rantings of a fanboy and if so, why?

ToTTenTranz and xEx like this.
  18. DavidGraham

Veteran

He is using a CrossFired RX 480 to beat down a single 1070, and jump to the conclusion that DX12 is faster on AMD in Tomb Raider, even though this is not the case! I think that pretty much sums up the situation here. If your methods are flawed then your conclusions are also flawed.

Razor1 likes this.
  19. Jawed

Legend

Some differences?:
    • Tomb Raider has NVidia-exclusive graphics options? VXAO?
    • Tessellation, which by default on AMD is capped
    If there's a difference in the graphics settings then there might be a difference in the CPU load associated with those settings...

Razor1 likes this.
  20. xEx

xEx
    Regular Newcomer

So ur saying that benches using Nvidia gpu are not representative of amd cards regardless of gen of performance?

Enviado desde mi HTC One mediante Tapatalk