No DX12 Software is Suitable for Benchmarking *spawn*

*Takes a look at the frame time graphs from ComputerBase*

Yikes. Definitely needed more time in the oven. Not sure whose oven, but definitely someone's. Maybe all three ovens.

That is, unless the engine just doesn't work that well with DX12 and there's nothing one can do about it. Are there any other DX12 Frostbite games?

*Takes a look at the frame time graphs from ComputerBase*

Yikes. Definitely needed more time in the oven. Not sure whose oven, but definitely someone's. Maybe all three ovens.

That is, unless the engine just doesn't work that well with DX12 and there's nothing one can do about it. Are there any other DX12 Frostbite games?
Technically, Star Wars Battlefront was the first DX12 Frostbite game albeit only the Xbox One version...

solo-xbox-one-dualshockers-star-wars-battlefront-directx-12-1024x622.jpg

Before anyone starts going on about how horrible BF1's DX12 renderpath is, can anyone confirm that it's actually rendering the same thing? That is, it might be possible that they added some new features in the DX12 path that don't exist in the DX11 version.

Before anyone starts going on about how horrible BF1's DX12 renderpath is, can anyone confirm that it's actually rendering the same thing? That is, it might be possible that they added some new features in the DX12 path that don't exist in the DX11 version.
Confirmed, no difference in visual quality whatsoever.

DirectX 11.3 supports conservative raster (no hacks needed). However 11.3 is also limited to Windows 10. I don't know why.

So Nvidia has some DX 11.0 hack APi that allows conservative raster (on Windows 7)? Wasn't aware of that. Both AMD and Nvidia have DX 11.0 hack APIs for multidraw and UAV overlap. It starts to feel like DX9 all over again. So many IHV specific API hacks to bring DX10 features to Windows XP. Now the same is true for Windows 7 and DX12 :)
I can guess:
1- Corporation reasons (mostly)
2- Presentation model (I am not sure about D3D11.3, but at least D3D11.4 requires WDDM 2.1)

Also, I would like to see D3D9 fixed ASAP (before Redstone 2), but that's another story.... I am not sure what WDDM 2.1 broke, but I want to play Fallout New Vegas again..

Some D3D9 games (mostly Bethesda games: Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas) crashes with an access violation under a D3D9 adapter enumeration.
I believe this has nothing to do with D3D9, it's the stupid Windows Live platform, which is not compatible with Windows 10, disabling Windows Live from these games would solve the problem instantly.

I believe this has nothing to do with D3D9, it's the stupid Windows Live platform, which is not compatible with Windows 10, disabling Windows Live from these games would solve the problem instantly.
Issue was an update to Windows 10 (Windows Anniversary update) for the WDDM 2 environment, making it WDDM 2.1
It has messed up both AMD and Nvidia and there are multiple support posts for both and also various owners of cards trying to play games that fall foul of the change.

And as it is Windows 10, not an easy thing to resolve oneself if wanting to play those games for now.
Cheers

Some D3D9 games (mostly Bethesda games: Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas) crashes with an access violation under a D3D9 adapter enumeration.

Alessio,
if you have the Pro version of Windows 10, is this one of the updates (update 1607) that can easily be delayed?
Been wondering if as a consumer one big benefit of owning the more expensive Pro version is actually have more control for some of these updates.

Cheers

Issue was an update to Windows 10 (Windows Anniversary update) for the WDDM 2 environment, making it WDDM 2.1
It has messed up both AMD and Nvidia and there are multiple support posts for both and also various owners of cards trying to play games that fall foul of the change.

And as it is Windows 10, not an easy thing to resolve oneself if wanting to play those games for now.
Cheers

What games other than those three were effected to the public's knowledge, anyway? I'd like to make a local copy of that list so I know what I own that needs fixing and what I own that cannot be fixed as of now and etc, etc...

TechSpot sheds more light on DX12 issues with BF1, stutter and hard fps dives are rampant with DX12:

Using the Fury X we see that DX12 allows for a few more frames per second on average with the Core i7-6700K. However, the minimum frame rate was oddly 19% lower. Moving to the Core i5-6600K we find that again DX12 boosted the average frame rate by a small margin, yet this time we see an even larger 29% decrease when looking at the minimum frame rate.

The situation worsens with the Core i3-6100T processor. DX12 looks amazing here if you focus solely on the average frame rate as it improved the Fury X's performance by 14%. Sadly, we saw a 53% reduction in minimum frame rate and the story is similar for AMD's FX processors.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1267-battlefield-1-benchmarks/page4.html

The way the average framerate is up and the minimum framerate is way down looks like a memory transfer issue to me. The GPU finds that it needs a new texture for the next frame, and everything grinds to a halt while it transfers it over. With DX11, AMD and Nvidia have full control over this stuff in their drivers, and are probably just streaming in the new textures asynchronously while the GPU uses low resolution textures further up the mip chain in the meanwhile. DX12 dumps all this responsibility on to the developers, who, oddly enough, are proving to be not quite as adept at it as the guys that program the drivers and know every detail about the hardware.

New Vegas doesn't have GFWL at all. It's entirely steam based DRM.
Yeah, New Vegas is not working for me, NFS Hot Pursuit also, It's kinda of ridiculous how I see it, obviously Windows 10 is not as friendly to old games as Windows 7 was, and Microsoft's botched update strategy only makes things worse.

Last edited:
GFWL is not an issue at all if you simply install the last on-line available version and let it self up-to-date. It's a D3D9 function issue.

Back