Nintendo Switch Revision (2019) *switched out again* (non-Lite)

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Pressure, Jul 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pressure

Veteran Regular

Yes, that's what I wrote.

That would be a nice upgrade up from 768MHz in docked mode if true. At least they could increase portable mode to 460MHz ...

I wonder about memory speeds, would be nice to get faster there as well.

2. Goodtwin

Veteran Newcomer Subscriber

The standard 20nm chip can already do 460Mhz portable, Mortal Kombat 11 uses that profile.

3. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Have there been any battery tests done with home brew & GPU clocks? (Is that a thing?)

4. Pressure

Veteran Regular

I believe there are some videos on YouTube talking about overclocking and its effect on battery life, like 19-20% lesser battery life.

I remember the dynamic scaling would display native 720p if the GPU were clocked at 460MHz, a slight overclock on the CPU and memory clocked at 1600MHz would yield less stutter (30fps+) which in turn really improved the gaming experience. They tested Doom and other games if I remember correctly.

AlBran and Goodtwin like this.
  5. Goodtwin

Veteran Newcomer Subscriber

The overclocking video's have been very interesting. The CPU clock speed bump brought on a tremendous improvement to the framerate in both Doom and Wolfenstein 2. We know the fan isnt anywhere close to operating at full speed, so there is likely plenty of overhead to bump the clocks. Who knows, the GPU 460Mhz profile was put out there 2 years after the Switch released, so maybe Nintendo will open up a higher CPU clock profile in the future. Its frustrating when you see footage of hacked Switch units showcasing just how conservative Nintendo was with the clock speeds.

Doom 3 ran nearly flawless on the Shield TV, and it stumbles a bit on the Switch. Its not bad, but its not as good as the Shield TV. The Shield version of Doom ran on the Vulcan API, and it makes me wonder if the game was ported to the Switch still using Vulcan instead of the custom NVN api, and because the clock speeds are lower we are seeing more dips. Even if Doom 3 is running on the NVN API, it may not be all that superior to Vulcan, and the difference in clock speeds is showing up.