Nintendo Switch Revelation

I do wonder if Nintendo will release a TV only version of Switch down the line?

It would probably dilute the Switch concept at this point, but if they are able to establish a good software library it could make sense in year or so after launch.

For what purpose? All Switch would be is an underpowered console and with ps4/xbox one pricedrops that is probably the more attractive offer if you only want to game on your tv. Unless you want to play Nintendo games but if that is the case you're not going to be bothered about the extra price of a original Switch.

The only thing I could imagine is tv manufacturers including a Switch in their tv since it's just a mobile soc but given how most of them can't even be bothered to put half decent soc into models costing thousands of dollars I doubt they they"ll put a Switch in.

I keep thinking that the Switch is nothing more than the WiiU 2 (but it could be a successful one).

I can imagine that the Switch was already being planned prior to the WiiU even launching as this is the next obvious evolution: not being tethered to the home. I'm not sure what the failure of the WiiU changed for Nintendo. Maybe it was just marketing and naming.

I keep thinking that the Switch is nothing more than the WiiU 2 (but it could be a successful one).

I can imagine that the Switch was already being planned prior to the WiiU even launching as this is the next obvious evolution: not being tethered to the home. I'm not sure what the failure of the WiiU changed for Nintendo. Maybe it was just marketing and naming.
It sounds more like a reaction to the Wii U failure.
Better communicate system capabilities : Just done with a 3:30 video.
Better name : done Nintendo Switch, name carries the idea also.
Better software support : done, one console instead of two to make games for inside Nintendo.

Better software support : done, one console instead of two to make games for inside Nintendo.

Better software support, by Nintendo, yes. But, third parties who supported 3ds, will they support the Switch ? I'm not that sure. They will need more ressources (I guess a full hd game need more "men hours" to make that a 3ds game....). And If you go full hd only, well, have a larger base and develop for xbone/ps4...

Better software support, by Nintendo, yes. But, third parties who supported 3ds, will they support the Switch ? I'm not that sure. They will need more ressources (I guess a full hd game need more "men hours" to make that a 3ds game....). And If you go full hd only, well, have a larger base and develop for xbone/ps4...
Not really much according to 3D artists, unless you go photorealist or change tech a lot.

Not really much according to 3D artists, unless you go photorealist or change tech a lot.

Exactly, people make the false assumption that just because the hardware is more capable that it directly increases the cost of development, and in truth, it actually lowers the cost. Look at what small Indie developers can accomplish these days on a barebones budget. Creating 3DS'ish games would only be that much easier for developers thanks to the extra processing power, and more modern gaming engines and tools supported. I see no reason why 3DS developers wouldn't 100 percent support Switch. We already know Dragon Quest will be released on Switch, and that is a huge game in Japan. Indie support has been very strong on both the 3DS and Wii U, so I see no reason why that wouldn't continue. The only 3D support that is really a huge question mark is the Western AAA game support. I expect EA to at the very least test the waters with EA Sports titles at launch, games like Mass Effect Andromeda I wouldn't count on. Plants vs Zombies types of games on the other hand could certainly make their way to Switch.

For creating mobile games, simpler hardware than DS will be a godsend! 3DS devs certainly have no technical reason to avoid NS. There may be an economic one. It's clearly not a handheld in the same vein, nor is it a TV console. So will it appeal to either/both audiences, or will it find itself alienated and lack sales?

Which switch is which to outswitch a witch?
if they give me the type of console I want they can call me Nintendo Bitch.

as a native speaker, what does switch suggests to you? From my point of view, it means a radical change, a total switch, like a paradigm, if I can make myself understood.

as a native speaker, what does switch suggests to you? From my point of view, it means a radical change, a total switch, like a paradigm, if I can make myself understood.
Switch means change/substitution. You switch a light from off to on. You switch places with someone else. In this case, the console switches from being a TV console to a handheld and back again.

Switch means change/substitution. You switch a light from off to on. You switch places with someone else. In this case, the console switches from being a TV console to a handheld and back again.
thanks Shifty. The bolded part kinda explains it all. I understood it more like a revolution, tbh, a total switch compared with what we've seen to date. But it doesn't describe the console like your words.

For what purpose? All Switch would be is an underpowered console and with ps4/xbox one pricedrops that is probably the more attractive offer if you only want to game on your tv. Unless you want to play Nintendo games but if that is the case you're not going to be bothered about the extra price of a original Switch.

The only thing I could imagine is tv manufacturers including a Switch in their tv since it's just a mobile soc but given how most of them can't even be bothered to put half decent soc into models costing thousands of dollars I doubt they they"ll put a Switch in.
To expand my early morning pondering, assuming that Switch establishes itself as a popular, vibrant gaming platform, what next? How do you reach millions of more customers? Core games will have either bought in as a 2nd console or will be happy with PS4bone, as you point out.

Cost is a critical issue in the broader market that Nintendo will need to tap into. I think they could get a stripped down mini console to a significantly lower price than MS or Sony. The software offering aught to be much better targeted as well. *

The 'play anywhere' concept is neat, but once (if) there's a good library of games, you might as well make that library as accessible as possible.

I'm saying this in the personal context that I'd probably get a Switch as first console for my kids. They'll have an awesome time with Nintendo games and it'll keep them amused in the car.

It also means I can game on the couch when they're in bed if the wife's hogging the TV and I don't fancy PC gaming.

Once the kids are old enough they'll probably squabble over the Switch. Might as well have another (cheaper) system that'll play carts elsewhere in the house.

* As an aside, the AAA end of the market is still *dreadful* if you are trying to appeal beyond gamers.

rumours from Laura Dale. Multitouch screen, one of the joycon joysticks will work like a Wiimote for games requiring that feature using infrared -the sensor bar is in Switch's tablet-, all day one bundles will feature the dock, the Switch can't be connected to the TV without the dock. She also speculates and says that the dock increases performance.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...ight-joy-con-offers-ir-pointer-functionality/

If they design it like the surface pro 4 and have a copper heat plate perhaps the casing will transfer enough heat to a heatsink built into the dock. That way it can clock higher

For creating mobile games, simpler hardware than DS will be a godsend! 3DS devs certainly have no technical reason to avoid NS. There may be an economic one. It's clearly not a handheld in the same vein, nor is it a TV console. So will it appeal to either/both audiences, or will it find itself alienated and lack sales?
They can also expand the product line .

No more DS systems but what about a Gameboy come back ? A single screen with the controllers unremovable that can also play switch games. Same SOC but perhaps clocked lower for a 4.5 to 5 inch screen. IT wouldn't connect to your tv or do all the things the bigger switch could do but it would be a more portable dedicated gaming experience. Such a thing could cost little to produce and you can use defective chips from the switch to power it.

I seriously doubt about this. 3DS was not a complete failure and I am certain they'll release its successor. Switch is simply Wii U's successor (even if they say it's not ).

rumours from Laura Dale. Multitouch screen, one of the joycon joysticks will work like a Wiimote for games requiring that feature using infrared -the sensor bar is in Switch's tablet-, all day one bundles will feature the dock, the Switch can't be connected to the TV without the dock. She also speculates and says that the dock increases performance.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/...ight-joy-con-offers-ir-pointer-functionality/

There's nothing in that article that says the dock increases performance, and if you read her related stories (which are apparently all speculation based upon examining stills from the launch video with a microscope), her story on how Nintendo ensures the Switch isn't misaligned in the dock doesn't mesh with the fact that the dock would be providing a performance benefit. Nor does her other report that Nintendo considered releasing the Switch without the dock but didn't do so because it has no casting capability and can't be connected to a tv on its own, but Nintendo might release one later once people understood it could be used only in its handheld form.

I seriously doubt about this. 3DS was not a complete failure and I am certain they'll release its successor. Switch is simply Wii U's successor (even if they say it's not ).

I don't think the 3DS was a failure at all. More like a moderate success in comparison to the DS, but not a failure.

I'm pretty confident that a lot of 3DS and Vita devs will come to the system. It could be a great place for more medium budget games (though I'd bet it'll get a few AAA games as well). If they really do have DQXI and are able hold on to Monster Hunter, Japan will already be interested. Not to mention Animal Crossing, Pokemon, etc.

The potential for a great system is there. It will at very least do far better than the Wii U I believe.

Back