Nintendo Switch Revelation

Vita lacked both clamshell protection and a screen protector, and sold like crap.
How can you use the Vita as an argument that people won't buy handhelds if they're not clamshells and ignore all the billions of slate-like smartphones and tablets that cost up to 6x times more than a Vita?

Battery life is an issue. Many android based phones throttle back after a few minutes of game play. its "acceptable" because game playing is not supposed to be it's core functionality.

Game play is obviously the core functionality here. You can't have a game dropping down to 15 fps.

The best indicator of battery-life issues is ios phones. If you look at "full-load" type tests on glxbench, you'll see that unlike android phones,the iphone7 sustains impressive frame rate right up until the battery dies, with the final frame rate being 49fps. But the cost is battery life. It gets just 2.24 on the test.

The bigger screen 7+ doesn't fair any better. You'd think the bigger screen/more pixels would be compensated by the bigger battery that the size allows. But the 7+ final fame rate is only 25fps (which is still x2 what many android phones acheive), with a battery life of 3.17hrs.

If thats the best that Apple can do, whose budget for R&D must be an order of magnitude beyond nintendos, and who has leading edge in house cpu/gpu/soc design expertise, and who are widely acclaimed for pushing the boundaries in this area, then portable battery life with good graphics and sustained fps is clearly a wall at this time.

The only solution is make your device heavier and thicker, and then it all comes down to asthetics versus battery life.

(figures were taken from the anandtech review http://www.anandtech.com/show/10685/the-iphone-7-and-iphone-7-plus-review/5)

Sku
- Screen + L/R Joycon at entry level price
- Screen + L/R JoyCon + Dock + JoyCon controller
- Pro controller sold separately
- Screen + L/R JoyCon + Dock + Pro controller for selected bundle sku

The Screen has only passive pipes that run from top to bottom, the fan is in the Dock

The screen is multitouch

The L/R JoyCon have motion sensors but no rumble

The JoyCon controller has battery and rumble

How can you use the Vita as an argument that people won't buy handhelds if they're not clamshells and ignore all the billions of slate-like smartphones and tablets that cost up to 6x times more than a Vita?
Did you miss the :yep2: smiley? It's a silly argument, just illustrating that comparative arguments can easily be bollocks even if logically connecting facts.

I don't think Switch will suffer lost sales from not being a clamshell design or having a decent cover. I also disagree with your argument that screen protection is unimportant.

3 hours, if it's with maximum brightness, is fine and it's within other handhelds from the past decade.
As long as it charges through 5V USB and not a special adapter that needs to be plugged in, most people won't have a hard time getting e.g. a powerbank for longer travels.

http://i.imgur.com/5CFOMEr.gifv
5CFOMEr.gifv

Main reason phones and tablets don't get more console-like games is that people won't pay premium prices.

So it may take a dedicated gaming device to get people to pay $40-50.

I'm sure in places like Japan, it will sell well enough but the 3DS was a $150 device and the Vita was $250 tops? If this thing is $300 and above, you can't expect the same volumes.

3 hours is pointless.

Maybe if this thing bombs, Nintendo will get more serious about brining their games over to mobile devices.

Battery life is an issue. Many android based phones throttle back after a few minutes of game play. its "acceptable" because game playing is not supposed to be it's core functionality.

Since the Vita manages this just fine I do not think this should be an issue. If you need more game time just get a portable charger (like all the Pokemon Go players have).

If it's a 10~20 Wh battery then charging through a standard USB port isn't going to be fast, especially if charging and gaming at the same time. Shield could have issues charging and being used at standard USB power iirc.

3 hrs is bad for a gaming device. Gaming is its bread and butter. Having to take a special mains charger around would make the device even less convenient and mean that while charging, portability was even more limited.

Perhaps Nintendo should have made NX one software library across two devices: a handheld that was more portable and tv based unit that was cheaper and faster.

Struggling to see the market for this.

It's too big to fit in your pocket, can't replace your phone or tablet, can't compete with PS4Bone on power - let alone ScorpiPro, will be expensive, and probably won't ship with the cradle and probably will have less than stellar battery life.

On a TV it will underwhelm, on the move it will be powerful but will require planning to take it with you (unlike your phone), mobile multiplayer seems like a cool feature but two people squinting at a small screen (while all your skater friends watch excitedly) will get old fast, game prices will seem expensive compared to other mobile games and game you'll look like a bit of a tool sat using it on the train.

I *do* think they'll find a market for kids and car backseats - especially if you cache child pacifying movies and tv shows - and that could potentially be lucrative. But beyond the car <-> bedroom portability and Nintendo fans I'm not seeing where this is going to break out from just being a super Wuublet.

Though I was wrong about the Wii so IMHO and all that ....

IT is to big to fit in your pocket but then again so is the 3Ds XL and so are all other tablets. Battery life should be fine. I odn't see anything spec wise that will kill it. It looks thicker than an ipad mini and those get good battery life. IF it gets 5 or 6 hours + of gaming battery life that sounds good to me.

As for the TV of course it will underwhelm if you put it next to a pro or scorpio but considering this console will be rendering in 720p it doesn't need the same power as the ps4 or xbox one to look quite as good. Also I can't walk up to my xbox or ps4 and take it off my media furniture and walk away while still playing it.

I was looking at buying a $2,000 surface pro when the 5 comes out but if this can play console games at $300 I might just get a $1000 pro and this instead

https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/stat...16886109655041

Four ARM Cortex-A57 cores, max 2GHz
NVidia second-generation Maxwell architecture
256 CUDA cores, max 1 GHz, 1024 FLOPS/cycle
4GB RAM (25.6 GB/s, VRAM shared)
32 GB storage (Max transfer 400 MB/s)
USB 2.0 & 3.0
1280 x 720 6.2" IPS LCD
1080p at 60 fps or 4k at 30 fps max video output
Capcitance method, 10-point multi-touch

was this posted ?

It this is true I think they might be able to hit $200 or $250 for pricing.

Back