Nintendo fined by European Union

I was just about to post about this.

Nintendo themselves fined almost £94 million. Ouch, that's one nasty fine!

ouch ! 149 million euro is a lot...

good to see EC do something for consumers, but a lot of work is remaining.
i wonder if this will impact price of GC and GC software..

next in the line of fire: DVD.

at least according to the inquirer:

The €U is investigating an allegation that CNN AOL Time Warner took part in a cartel with other film companies, including Walt Disney, Sony, and 21st Century Murdoch (Fox) to raise the price of DVDs.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5984

Magnum PI said:
ouch ! 149 million euro is a lot...

good to see EC do something for consumers, but a lot of work is remaining.
i wonder if this will impact price of GC and GC software..

no, it is related to what has been done in the past with the SNES and n64 (and the GB, I think). The amount seems a bit too high , like the EC was a bit envious of the US Department of Justice anti Microsoft story, and they thought "we can do the same" ;)

The fine is for illegal import practices in the 1991-1998 timeframe, so it's got nothing to do with GC indeed, but it still directly affects Nintendo's current purse. To make up for this fine, SMS will have to sell loads of copies this christmas, sigh... :(

Call me a cynic but it'll probably be appealed and either thrown out or greatly reduced.

Nope, Nintendo was expecting this for quite a few years and they've been putting the necessary money on the side for this during the last few years. This fine won't even impact the balance sheet in a big way (I think). A friend of mine who's working for one of Nintendos distributors even told me that Nintendo basically doesn't care about this. And of course they will appeal. Hey, if there's even a slight possibility to get away better then you have to try it... :-?

As CeiserSöze said this is from allot of years ago and Nintendo will have already had this money set asside for quite some time now. It has nothing to do with the Rare money or any other money they've made recently. If they ever end up paying the fine at all, its deffinately not a certainty.[/quote]

Nintendo is EVIL!!!!! MwaHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Hehe, they've changed a lot over the past few years. You should've seen them in the Famicom/NES days. They were bad enough to make Rambus blush...

I think no one here is going to deny that Nintendo didn't (and probably still doesn't) hold back when it comes to nasty stuff like terrorising retailers.
The only reason why quite a few gamers still regard Nintendo as the "good guys" is probably because they brought us Zelda, Mario, Metroid etc. (read: hours of fun) while Microsoft brought us... well, Windows9x (definitely not hours of fun) ;)

LOL.. some of you.
Nintendo doesn't care?

Which company DOESN'T care about 150 Million Euros?!
Geezes some of you are making this sound like daily expenses.

150 Million is more than enough to cover their next graphics processor development contract.

Nobody said Nintendo doesn't care about this. What people are saying is this is no suprise to Nintendo. They'll have had the money set asside for this for a while and so it won't effect anything they might do now or in the future. As in they won't be saying: "Well we better not buy this dev house now since we got such a big fine" or "we better cut back our ad budget now to make up for that fine", this fine won't effect them.

But I'm certainly sure they care allot about it and don't want to pay it obviously, amd perhaps they won't, we'll have to see.

The ?U is investigating an allegation that CNN AOL Time Warner took part in a cartel with other film companies, including Walt Disney, Sony, and 21st Century Murdoch (Fox) to raise the price of DVDs.
How can they possibly say such a thing?!
I mean, just compare the prices for LOTR special edition and the Star Wars Ep. 2 on, say, Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.

The fact that the UK price is about 1.5-2x higher is completely insignificant. :rolleyes:

Back