Nintendo Consolidated Results to 30-Jun-09

catisfit

Regular
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2009/090730e.pdf

DS
- DSi launched worldwide in April (Japan last FY)
- Worldwide DS hardware sales: 5.97m (107.75m LTD)
- Pokémon Platinum Version sold well overseas
- Few popular new titles
- Worldwide DS software sales: 29.09m

Wii
- Worldwide Wii hardware sales: 2.23m (52.62m LTD)
- Minimal contribution from Wii Sports Resort (end June release in Japan)
- Worldwide Wii software sales: 31.07m

Net sales: Y253.4bn (-40.1% YOY)
Operating income: Y40.4bn (-66.1% YOY)
Ordinary income: Y64.8bn (-63.4% YOY)
Net income: Y42.3bn (-60.6%)

NB Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit launched in overseas markets in Apr-Jun 08.

Apr-June 2008 Apr-June 2009

Wii 5.17m 2.23m

DS 6.94m 5.97m

Does that no speak for itself?

3 cheers for me for finding the right information.

@Joker: Im your fan, 3 cheers for you.

@Everyone: Financial reports are funny when you're tipsy.

Last edited by a moderator:
They actually mentioned this on our radio, citing 61% lower profits, and even giving a reason: no big Nintendo software titles having been released for Wii caused it to stay on the shelves. Will be interesting to see if Resort with WiiMotionPlus does any good - my colleague's daughters already asked for it. They may not get it though since they've hardly touched the Wii for a long time now.

Uh oh, looks like they might not have enough money next quarter for building huge piles of cash to sleep on. I mean, it must be pretty nice to sleep in a huge nest built of hundred dollar bills, but those guys might actually have to sleep on a real mattress. I'm sure once the Resort money starts rolling in, they'll at least be able to use some money for stuffing their pillows.

That's the problem with Nintendo's methods. Cash just isn't durable and they need a huge turnover to maintain nocturnal comfort.

Intersegment sales and the geographical breakdown is interesting. Looks like "Nintendo the console maker" is raking in cash, but that the regional branches are hardly making any (additional) money selling them in the actual marketplace. That might just be an accounting trick though.

Back