Nintendo and Metroid

I've got some questions about the future of Metroid games. How likely is it that there will be another Metroid equivalent to 2002's Metroid Prime? By that, I mean a technically impressive, traditional/Super Metroid-like entry with a control scheme like the 1st Metroid Prime? Will people ever crave that, if they don't already? I do, since I was totally put-off by Metroid Prime 3.

2nd topic: Why doesn't Nintendo become a 3rd party developer for either Sony or Microsoft (or both) since they deserted fans of traditional games with the Wii? They could make simple, low-tech games with whack-ass control schemes for the Wii, and then make high-tech games based on their traditional IPs for a more powerful console. Would it hurt them in terms of business, or does Nintendo not want to do it for a different reason?

2nd topic: Why doesn't Nintendo become a 3rd party developer for either Sony or Microsoft (or both) since they deserted fans of traditional games with the Wii? They could make simple, low-tech games with whack-ass control schemes for the Wii, and then make high-tech games based on their traditional IPs for a more powerful console. Would it hurt them in terms of business, or does Nintendo not want to do it for a different reason?

Because making so much money on the hardware you sell that Iwata is redecorating Nintendo HQ in gold and selling tons of software of whatever you make is such a bad thing that you are better off going to sony or ms not making money on the hardware and having to spend alot of money on the license to release games? Yeah, if you are suicidal that sounds like a good plan. Other than that nintendo would be absolutely crazy to stop doing something that has made them tons of money ever since they released their first console.

I've got some questions about the future of Metroid games. How likely is it that there will be another Metroid equivalent to 2002's Metroid Prime? By that, I mean a technically impressive, traditional/Super Metroid-like entry with a control scheme like the 1st Metroid Prime? Will people ever crave that, if they don't already? I do, since I was totally put-off by Metroid Prime 3.

Ask the guys who made it. I think never. I believe some of the important guys working on metroid have left after metroid 3 and for the rest it will all depend on what nintendo will build for the next wii hardware. I personally think mp3 is fine. The controlls are good and I for one doesnt really like to much back tracking so im fine with 3.

I mean a technically impressive
Since that's defined in terms of the platform, Metroid Prime 3 is already out.
traditional/Super Metroid-like entry
It's possible that the next Metroid game, which may or may not be on Wii, will be less shooter-y and more explore-y...in the sense that just about anything is possible.
with a control scheme like the 1st Metroid Prime?
Never happening again.

I understand that you were put-off by MP3 (and so was I to a certain extent) but keep in mind that MP was as impressive as it was because it is the first iteration of what was once considered a near impossibility - bringing the 2d Metroid formula to 3d without losing it's soul. MP worked. I don't know about MP2 because I didn't play it, but I believe that the wii-mote, nunchaku combo worked for MP3. Also, all three of the games could be considered techinically impressive and Super Metroid-like entries.

The Nintendo business model is working as is, but N being a 3rd party developer isn't as absurd as it first sounds. What is absurd at this point in time is being a 3rd party dev for the other two systems and making "high tech games". I can see N working as a dev for more low-tech games based on their IPs for say, an eventual Apple platform, but to make a PS3 or 360 is ridiculous. It takes an obscene amount of money to make a single game for those platforms compared to what N is doing now - Gamecube games with control gimmicks.

Why doesn't Nintendo become a 3rd party developer for either Sony or Microsoft (or both)
Well, this h/w company is the success story of the generation, and a record breaker. It would be a bad business move to drop its (currently) leading game platform and develop for systems and companies of a different overall philosophy and at a higher development premium.
since they deserted fans of traditional games with the Wii?
Even with the 'new' Nintendo, I tend to think that's a bit of a stretch tbh, at the very least subjective.

Even with the 'new' Nintendo, I tend to think that's a bit of a stretch tbh, at the very least subjective.
I'd go as far as saying that's completely bogus. Games from every Nintendo home console are playable on the Wii, as well as games from old rival consoles. If that's not dedication to fans of traditional games, I don't know what is. The only way i'll veel I've been let down by Nintendo this generation is if they don't make a space-shootin' Star Fox for the Wii.

Back