Nice fuel saving solution!

_xxx_

Banned
Finally something worth mentioning and pretty much ready for series production:

http://horsepowersports.com/fuel-vapor-technology-3-wheels-180hp-92mpg/

According to the company, the car’s performance puts it in a league of its own with a 12.9 second quarter mile, 0-60 mph in 5 seconds, 1.7 g on the skidpad, top speed electronically limited to 140 mph and the real number that gets your attention, 92 miles per gallon! The fuel vapor technology is currently patent pending and if these numbers hold up under independent testing, these guys are definitely on to something.

I beleive I've bee n reading about this fuel vapor stuff for like 20+ years now.

Often when you hear stuff that almost sounds too good to be true..well..you know the drill by now. :cool:

I'm sure if this stuff was real and viable it would have been put to use by now. Superior fuel economy would be a huge selling point for any of the major manufactorers.

With the amount of designers and researchers they have I don't believe they're just too dumb to think of this stuff. So.. Notch me down as a sceptic. :cool:

Besides. it's still a gas-pwered vehicle. Wake me up when they've thought up an environmentally friendly engine instead.

Peace.

Fuel economy hasn't been an issue for car manufactorers at all! If it had been, we'd have seen results already.

I drove 360km on the highway with my Prius recently (in two about equal sessions, on the way back my car was loaded with stuff), at 4.6l per 100km, at around just over 100km/h on average (where I could drive the max, I had the cruise control fixed at 114km/h, which seems to be pretty good for fuel efficiency, though the best is around just over 90km/h).

I'm sure that if fuel economy had really been an issue, then a lot of cars would have had better economy already.

I'm working for a car manufacturer, I'm pretty sure I have the idea what it's about ;) It's about fuel economy AND exhaust, the latter being far more important for legal reasons. This car mentioned above IS already moving on the road and it's been driven by several reviewers already, so no vaporware here. This is the first solution in many years which satisfies both criteria (or so it seems at least, I couldn't test it myself).

Compare those less than 3 l/100 km and 180 bhp to your Prius, I'd call that quite a difference :)

Compare those less than 3 l/100 km and 180 bhp to your Prius, I'd call that quite a difference :)

Most of the performance numbers stems from the low weight (<650kg), low mechanical (3 wheels) and aerodynamical drag of the car.

The only no-bullshit number at their website is the "10%-20%" improved fuel efficiency, which certainly is worth considering.

Cheers

I'm working for a car manufacturer, I'm pretty sure I have the idea what it's about ;) It's about fuel economy AND exhaust, the latter being far more important for legal reasons. This car mentioned above IS already moving on the road and it's been driven by several reviewers already, so no vaporware here. This is the first solution in many years which satisfies both criteria (or so it seems at least, I couldn't test it myself).

Absolutely. Sounds great. The next Prius should use half of what the current does. I think that if you mix the technology above, with clean diesel engines, and Prius energy saving technology, you can end up with some crazy mileage.

I must say I would have bought me the current Prius if it looked anywhere near acceptable, but I just find it butt-fugly. I do like the tech, though - they really gave us something to chew on there, we're surely still several years behind the curve (I will vehemently deny having ever said this in public though :LOL:)

I must say I would have bought me the current Prius if it looked anywhere near acceptable, but I just find it butt-fugly. I do like the tech, though - they really gave us something to chew on there, we're surely still several years behind the curve (I will vehemently deny having ever said this in public though :LOL:)

Don't they have the same tech available in Camry's now? A couple of the higher end model Camry's look acceptable, as opposed to the Prius.

A decent diesel still gets better economy, chucks out less crap, and shifts faster than than a Prius, by a long way.

A prius has a boot.

..and a back seat.

..and a passenger seat.

..and crumple zones.

..etc.

That thing's got none of that from what I can see. It's not a real car. It's some fibreglass engineering sample/prototype toy. No wonder it's got good fuel economy when it's essentially a trike with a plexiglass canopy stuck to it.
Peac.e

Don't they have the same tech available in Camry's now? A couple of the higher end model Camry's look acceptable, as opposed to the Prius.

We don't habve Camrys here, not being sold in Germany.

Rainbow Man: I see no problem whatsoever giving it a new chassis and adding a few seats and whatnot. It will still have 180 bhp and require maybe 20% more fuel, which is still damn low consumption.

Back