Next gen consoles: drive trays, slot load or flip top?

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
Just curious.. personally I love the drive trays.. always have, ever since the Sega CD days (first model, was pissed when I got the second one for xmas :devilish: ).

IMO, I think Sony will have the slot load, MS will have the drive tray, and cost conscious Nintendo will have the flip top. One could argue MS could go flip top for the same reasons as Nintendo, but then their system would look 'cheap' against the PS3..

(and yes, I think this is important) :p

zurich said:
Just curious.. personally I love the drive trays.. always have, ever since the Sega CD days (first model, was pissed when I got the second one for xmas :devilish: ).

IMO, I think Sony will have the slot load, MS will have the drive tray, and cost conscious Nintendo will have the flip top. One could argue MS could go flip top for the same reasons as Nintendo, but then their system would look 'cheap' against the PS3..

(and yes, I think this is important) :p
well not for nothing but the flip tops should last longer . Less to stop working

AlphaWolf said:
Flip top has another down side, it more limits where you can place the unit.
How so . I can think of places where a drive bay would also lmit where I can put it . I have my saturn and dc in a desk draw . Can't do that with the slot loader.

jvd said:
AlphaWolf said:
How so . I can think of places where a drive bay would also lmit where I can put it . I have my saturn and dc in a desk draw . Can't do that with the slot loader.

Well I suppose so, but generally I think of console devices in an entertainment center. Which means you can't have a flip top on a shelf where there isnt enough clearance or stack something directly on top of it such as a cable box, dvd, cd player etc.

/shrug I never considered a drawer, but each to their own.

AlphaWolf said:
jvd said:
AlphaWolf said:

Well I suppose so, but generally I think of console devices in an entertainment center. Which means you can't have a flip top on a shelf where there isnt enough clearance or stack something directly on top of it such as a cable box, dvd, cd player etc.

/shrug I never considered a drawer, but each to their own.

Its a nice draw set . with two 120 mm fans in the front and 2 in the back . Nice and cool in there . I don't like my electronics showing .

Slot load/unload mechanisms have been in use in car stereos and such for 10+ years. They're hardly rocket science.

Guden Oden said:
Slot load/unload mechanisms have been in use in car stereos and such for 10+ years. They're hardly rocket science.
I lost my darth vader cd in a car stero :( it was very upsetting

Guden Oden said:

and still you have jerks trying to stuff heart or credit card shaped cds in it... :LOL:

I want it so that the cd floats in the air while being read. That be awsome . With a light show too .

Laser Light show perhaps? I've seen soem of those, they pwn. Seriously, I'll shoot Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony if they don't go with tray loading.

IST said:
Laser Light show perhaps? I've seen soem of those, they pwn. Seriously, I'll shoot Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony if they don't go with tray loading.
and while we are at it a hot female (or male ) to change games for u and get you drinks and stuff ...... yea um drinks and stuff

hupfinsgack said:
Guden Oden said:

and still you have jerks trying to stuff heart or credit card shaped cds in it... :LOL:
It was shaped like darth vaders mask dude .

I'd say that tray-loading mechanisms is the only way to go for all future consoles, because although they’re expensive to manufacture and fragile, it fits better with how most people set up A/V equipment, i.e. underneath the TV in a little cramped space.

CDs as a standard, where originally meant to be toploaded or "sideloaded" (like in the first players), but manufactures quickly found out frontloaders sold better even though they where more expensive.

Back