News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
probably because x360 did not do well in japan?

in japan people love to customize their stuff right? putting stickers, pins, new cases, etc.

or at least thats the impression i get from Nintendo's KISEKAE initiative.

xb360 faceplates were a bit ugly and the consoles looks didn't really improve from changing the faceplate. The xb360 design just wasn't such that a different colour faceplate from the rest of the gray or black body would have looked good.
PS4 design is more friendly for a two tone paint job.

did they try with MGS V GZ?

i have old PS4 and it sounds like hairdryer when playing that game, only when playing that game. Destiny is a bit hear-able. Indie game is whisper quiete.

That's good, and a bit expected too imho. However, stupid game menu programmers suck. ;) My PS4 completely takes off like a 737 getting ready on the runway when I am in Assassin's Creed Unity's options menu.

Wow, 20-30W less, that's ~20% less in both cases! That's significant and can only reinforce the idea that they now use 1 GB memory chips.

Eh, maybe this new PS4 is now less power hungry than the XB1? :runaway:

We know that MS worked on a 20nm Xbox One for cost reduction purposes (although no-one seems to have seen one pop up yet). Could Sony have gone with a shrink and a node change already? Change in memory seems more likely as you say, but we know that Sony have been aggressive with node changes in the past.

If it is just memory, then it shows that MS has fairly quickly lost one of the few advantages their design gave them.

Could Sony have gone with a shrink and a node change already? Change in memory seems more likely as you say, but we know that Sony have been aggressive with node changes in the past.
Sony do have a long history of small iterative changes to their boxes. Sometimes you look at the changes and wonder why it's even worth it but I know from experience that retooling a modern factory is something that can be done very quickly especially and all the little cost savings start adding up fast when you're shipping tens of millions of units. The real impact to making lots of small changes is it can be a real bugger to support long term unless your repair strategy is to replace new-for-old, then of course you've not having to maintain inventories of parts not used on current models.

From the Sony new PS4 model announcement, this clearly states that both colors (black & white) will be available in the 3 main regions, US included.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that a new PlayStation®4(PS4™) computer entertainment system (body color: Jet Black / Glacier White) will become available towards the end of June, 2015 in Japan, followed by North America / Europe / Asian countries and regions.

There are no warning (with asterisks) anywhere on the page stating that some colors may not be available in some regions: like it's the case when they list the important games to be released during the year:

The PS4 system’s games portfolio will continue to expand with highly anticipated titles from third-party publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios such as SENGOKU BASARA4 SUMERAGI (CAPCOM CO., LTD.), METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN (Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.), GOD OF WAR III Remastered, Until Dawn, and The Tomorrow Children.*1
*1 Title line-up as well as the number of titles differs by regions.

Wow, 20-30W less, that's ~20% less in both cases! That's significant and can only reinforce the idea that they now use 1 GB memory chips.

Eh, maybe this new PS4 is now less power hungry than the XB1? :runaway:
GDDR5 doesn't seem to consume so much power. I guess they use different process of 28 nm node?

Maybe 10 W of power decrease comes from other components (GDDR5 RAM, fan...), and 15 W comes from the main APU?

Maybe an improved yield allowed them to drop the voltage, 5% voltage drop is 10% less wattage.
Could have dropped the GDDR5 voltage to 1.35v too.

This user finds a 18% reduction in power consumption while playing Dragon Quest heroes with his glossy matte CUH-1200 PS4. (148.6w -> 122w)

58W in standby while downloading. Roughly 4db less noisy during high load which is totally normal because Snake really needs stealth conditions:

CIhEQIsUYAQ-mnt.png

Interesting:
There’s an obvious difference if you remove the HDD bay cover. The size of the board is smaller.

Original article by dualshockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back