News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I hadn't played it, if I'm honest. Totally ruined the majesty and perfection that was the original trilogy.

Oh God! I've read some hyperbole on the internet but this is just silly.

Ascension was a good GOW game, and a great game in its own right. It didn't have as much of the spectacle of GOW3, plus the story was pretty bland and more-or-less unecessary, but in terms of pure gameplay it was better than GOW3 in pretty much every way.

I played through and thoroughly enjoyed that game, and some of the puzzles were much better than those in previous GOW games. I really don't understand the hate for it, as to me it just seems decidedly over the top.

Either the people who react so strongly negative towards it are just sick of the GOW formula in general, or that story and narrative is so important to them that it prevented them from actually realising that Ascension was mechanically the superior PS3 GOW game, by a couintry mile.

When I tried ascension it felt more sluggish and the frame rate was much lower than Gow1 HD. But I would really welcome ps4 port.

I didn't like Ascension either, and I really wanted to. At the point I bought and played Ascension, I also hadn't touched Gow3 for nearly a year, so I was very open minded when I started playing it. It just felt different and off, compared to GoW3. Also can't seem to recall the controls being better either. If anything, I think the framerate was worse too and the story wasn't all that either. To be fair, I never completed it, as it just started to bore me. Even the boss fights, which were a spectacle in GoW3 and seriously well designed were just mediocre in Ascension. There's probably more points that I probably posted in the Ascension topic at the time but can't recall. I do remember being seriously disappointed by it.

How is it hyperbole if I just stated my own personal opinion?

GOW3 is a game I literally started again straight after finishing it the first time. And I started it over and over again many times after that.

By comparison Ascension was a right pain in the ass and I didn't even have the interest in finishing it the first time. And after I did, I never touched it again.

It's not hyperbole, it's my personal experience. That game totally killed my excitement with GOW.

Last edited:

I think, in the age of the internet, it's hyperbole because you used words of more than one syllable that are descriptive of your own personal experience. Remember - K.I.S.S! (Not that I think you're stupid so ignore the last bit of that acronym <lol>)

You said:

I wish I hadn't played it, if I'm honest. Totally ruined the majesty and perfection that was the original trilogy.

Which is far too over the top. I mean, how can a game, that is not even a bad game - it's worse than GOW3 sure, but not a bad game - retroactively ruin your experience with a previous game you have already played? How does any sequel tale away from the enjoyment of a game you've already experienced? That's not opinion, it's nonsensical.

Ascension is a GOW game. It's not even a bad GOW game. The only thing it lacked was the story and spectacle in its boss fights (the final boss notwithstanding).

Outside of that the new additions to the combat mechanics including new weapons, skills and the ability to pick up enemy weapons were real tangible improvements. It had better puzzles, better graphics than GOW3 and the combat also had a markedly more nuanced ebb and flow to it that made it require a bit more skill to win on higher difficulties, but felt alot more rewarding than previous games.

The game also hovered around 45fps, same as GOW3 as far as I remember, so I don't know where this idea that it ran at a lower framerate came from (obviously not directed at you London-boy).

I will agree with you that Ascension's story was boring, and that it lacked the high octane, balls to the walls spectacle of GOW3, but it was still a solid GOW game. So as much as you're entitled to your own opinion about it, I would vehemently contest that the game is even a bad game, or so bad that it would retroactively ruin a person's experience with a trilogy of games that they've already played... I mean no game can do that... hence hyperbole.

I really didn't mean it in such a deep and apocalyptic way. In fact, I was just being a drama queen as usual. And I definitely didn't mean that it retroactively ruined the other games - not sure how you'd infer that. I made it clear that I'll want to replay GOW3 on PS4 - when it gets cheap enough. So let me rephrase it:

I wish I hadn't played it, if I'm honest. In my opinion, it was shit.

Last edited:
Fair enough London-boy ;-)

I absolutely can't wait for GOW3 remaster too. So I look forward to the inevitable moment that I'm staring at Aphodite's mammaries in stunning 1080p and my wife walks in... :!::oops:"Errr... ya'right love?"

As much as I really love GOW I'm not sure I really want a GOW4 yet.

SSM should have continued with Stig's game that was supposed canned for being too much like Destiny. At least then we could have had a chance at getting the "Destiny" game that we were promised.

On the topic of the PS4, I yesterday did a check of my storage usage, with the still standard 500GB harddrive and was very surprised to see what some of these games are using.

From memory:

BF4: 59GB
GTA5: ~50GB
LBP3: way too much

These are just to name a few. There are others too, Alien Isolation that I think is around 20GB, Call of Duty that I think was around 40GB. What I also noticed while noting the huge amount of memory some of these games use, is that in the background, LBP was just downloading yet another 4.5GB update.

To the best of my knowlege, the maximum storage a BRD holds is around 50GB, yet BF4 is already clearly over that (I recall the orginal download size when I purchased the game in December 2013 to be closer to 20GB?). Which makes me wonder how exactly these updates are done. I was under the impression that consecutive updates swap out the parts of the game they are replacing. In a sense, that games are to a certain degree modular and that through the updating process, modules that see updates are swapped out. Is this not the case? To be fair, I did download some multiplayer maps with BF4 which certainly adds to the storage footprint on my PS4, but 60GB is still a very hefty amount. And when I look at some of these updates that are various GB in size that IMO happen far too frequent, I do wonder if these just get added to what has already been downloaded, or if there is some mechanism in place that throws out redundant files.

Also, I wonder if deleting the game all together and then re-downloading it (perhaps with only the latest update) would actually provide a real storage benefit.

My PS4 is hovering around the 400GB mark - with little space left to install fresh content. I don't have many games - BF4, Alien Isolation, Fusion Trials, Diablo3, GTA5, DriveClub, Tomb Raider: DE, TLoU:R, CoD Ghosts (deleted), Cod AW (deleted), Destiny (deleted). Diablo3, BF4 and GTA5 are huge, but I'm still surprised at how much space some of these games use.

Anyone have an idea how the update process works? Or is it something the developer can chose?

I was wondering that too. I guess the first thing I'll do when the new backup feature is released, is to swap out the HDD for a much larger one. Something I should have done at the very beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back