News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you still looking for a better DNLA solution for the PS4, PLEX is now available in the US & Canada. It requires a Plex pass subscription and the app is identical to the one released on the xbox one last year.

LINK

Can someone please explain to me why I should pay a third party company for a subscription to watch my own damn media files on my own damn hardware, is there any other reason than blatant profiteering?
You have money and they want it. They'll take better care of it, preventing you from wasting it on alcohol, drugs or fast cars. You people are so irresponsible.

Damn it. So most likely its a false promise. It would have solved the DLNA absence for pretty much everyone

Eventually they'll make it not require PlexPass. Most likely in a few more months.

Can someone please explain to me why I should pay a third party company for a subscription to watch my own damn media files on my own damn hardware, is there any other reason than blatant profiteering?

Yes, I forgot to add that they will release the app for a one time fee for those without plex pass. Correct me if I'm wrong, but plex pass is a fee to make it easier to stream your content from your home to other platforms and on the web, with the extra incentive of giving you first access to new apps and such.

I'm once again baffled by Sony's inability to get some things right...

Yesterday, I tried copying over save-files from one user account to another. However, the PS4 does not offer any way to do this. The only way to copy files from one user to another, it to use a USB-stick. So I get the USB stick, insert it and copy my local save-files on it. Then I switched to the user I wanted to use the save-files and the PS4 informs me it doesn't work, because there isn't a PSN account associated to the user. So... I have to create a PSN account for every single local account that I create? Seriously? So for every guest that comes over to my place and wants to use join for a co-op game or something, I have to create a PSN account with all sorts of information and userdata?

Anyway, so I create a PSN account - but then the PS4 tells me I can't copy these files, because they were created under a different PSN user. Great. So I create another account and want to link it to my existing PSN account, only to have the PS4 tell me that I can't have two accounts using the same PSN account on the same device.

In other words, there is no way to copy save-files from one user to another on the PS4. What happened to simplicity? This worked flawless under the PS3...

For those wondering what I am trying to achieve with this; Well, I'm currently playing Alien Isolation. The other day, a friend came over whom I wanted to show some parts of the game, mainly, the first encounter with the alien. Because the game doesn't allow me to go back to a particular mission without losing my current progress (I haven't completed the game yet), I thought an easy way (which used to work brilliantly on the PS3) is to copy the save-file and progress to another user and then just (ab)use that account to skip to the parts I wanted to show, without jeopardizing my main game-save. There are all sorts of reasons why a user might want to copy save-files locally between users. Or have multiple *local* accounts that are not bound to any user-data or PSN network, for example if I have various friends over for a game-session. As such, I have created a local accounts named "Guest" that logically shouldn't be linked to a PSN account.

Now, I get that certain games disallow the copying of game-saves because it opens the door to cheating etc. But in a game like Alien Isolation (or other similar games) that don't have an online component or anything, I don't really see the point.

When I see things like this on the PS4, I sometimes really wonder what kind of monkeys are in charge of developing and expanding the user experience on the console.

</rant>

Anyway, so I create a PSN account - but then the PS4 tells me I can't copy these files, because they were created under a different PSN user. Great. So I create another account and want to link it to my existing PSN account, only to have the PS4 tell me that I can't have two accounts using the same PSN account on the same device.

Wasn't this the case on PS3 as well? The reason is each user is a separate user account in Linux. You can't just copy Bob's files then create an account called Bob and get his data. Because the file permissions are not for 'Bob' but for the user ID of Bob which is a unique ID generated when the account was made.

This is fundamentally how Linux file permissions work. If there is a demand for swapping savage swaps Sony will have generate a export/import facility but I imagine there may be considerations about exploits and trophy cheats.

edit: corrected mobile typos

Last edited by a moderator:
In other words, there is no way to copy save-files from one user to another on the PS4. What happened to simplicity? This worked flawless under the PS3...

maybe the permission is like on xbox 360? to copy save from other user, i need to rehash,reid, and resign it.

Wouldn't one reason for this no longer working is to prevent someone from uploading saves online and having another user downloading them without doing the work?

Wasn't this the car on PS3 as well? The reason is each user is a separate user account in Linux. You can't just copy Bob's files then create an account called Bob and get his data. Because the file permissions are not for 'Bob' but for the user ID of Bob which is a unique ID generates when the account was made.

Nope, not exactly. On the PS3, you had the option to copy save-files directly to a different local user through the XMB. If the game-save worked or not was a seperate issue - most games it did, but some games upon loading would display an error akin to "game-save error: originated from another account. Delete and create a new game-save?" - or something along those lines. That was more or less fair as the OS enabled copying, but game-developers could decide if their game made a distinction where the game-save originated from.

On the PS4, this option is non-existant. You can copy to the cloud/PSN, or you can copy to an external USB-stick. The USB stick option however is useless, unless you copy the game-save back to the same account on either the same device, or a different device under the identical PSN account. In hindsight, I probably could have simply backed-up my Alien game-save to the stick, then abuse it to show off to my friends and then restore it from my USB-stick. Didn't think of that one...

Still, I like having multiple user accounts. There are story driven games that I play alone, and sometimes I play those games when a friend comes over. It would be nice to be able to copy your progress to a secondary user that you then use when you have visitors (so they can follow the story as you play), and use your main account to continue when you're alone. I get that they want to avoid cheating or sharing of game-saves - fair enough - but it would be little effort to add a mechanic within the OS that allows the localized copying of game-saves among users, but only once (1st generation copy - a bit like how ATRAC, a Sony invention, used to handle digital copies from CD -> ATRAC (miniDisk) -> ATRAC (miniDisk). The first copy from CD to ATRAC will work, but every subsequence copy of a copy will be prohibited.

So... I have to create a PSN account for every single local account that I create? Seriously? So for every guest that comes over to my place and wants to use join for a co-op game or something, I have to create a PSN account with all sorts of information and userdata?

The short and sweet answer to this question is no. They just log in as a guest and play. You don't need a PSN account linked to guest accounts for purposes of playing local multiplayer. At least not for any of the games I've played.

Ran into this same issue and found it quite frustrating. My use case was a bit different, however.

For those wondering what I am trying to achieve with this; Well, I'm currently playing Alien Isolation. The other day, a friend came over whom I wanted to show some parts of the game, mainly, the first encounter with the alien. Because the game doesn't allow me to go back to a particular mission without losing my current progress (I haven't completed the game yet), I thought an easy way (which used to work brilliantly on the PS3) is to copy the save-file and progress to another user and then just (ab)use that account to skip to the parts I wanted to show, without jeopardizing my main game-save. There are all sorts of reasons why a user might want to copy save-files locally between users. Or have multiple *local* accounts that are not bound to any user-data or PSN network, for example if I have various friends over for a game-session. As such, I have created a local accounts named "Guest" that logically shouldn't be linked to a PSN account.

I think you're over thinking the solution for this particular scenario. Back up the save you want to keep (the one with you progress on it) to USB. Create a new save game locally and use that to jump around and demonstrate the game to your friend. When you're done, restore the USB save, which has your real progress, to the local drive.

EDIT

Didn't see you had already figured out that solution in a follow up post.

n hindsight, I probably could have simply backed-up my Alien game-save to the stick, then abuse it to show off to my friends and then restore it from my USB-stick. Didn't think of that one...

Wasn't this the case on PS3 as well? The reason is each user is a separate user account in Linux. You can't just copy Bob's files then create an account called Bob and get his data. Because the file permissions are not for 'Bob' but for the user ID of Bob which is a unique ID generated when the account was made.

This is fundamentally how Linux file permissions work. If there is a demand for swapping savage swaps Sony will have generate a export/import facility but I imagine there may be considerations about exploits and trophy cheats.

edit: corrected mobile typos

What does Linux have to with this? PS3 and PS4 does not run on Linux.

F**k trophies. When shit like that ends up inconveniencing paying customers then you have to let go of your BS and just let people do what they want to their own save files.

F**k trophies. When shit like that ends up inconveniencing paying customers then you have to let go of your BS and just let people do what they want to their own save files.

Yes of course you have to implement every feature that any person has ever thought up.

@tuna What does that even have to do with my post? Copying save files is hardly an esoteric feature.

It's just a save file, for a damn video game. It's completely inconsequential wether I reached that point in that game on my own or not, or perhaps mistakenly receive a trophy I might not have "deserved".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back