News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shu just answered about the stupid conspiracy theories. The lack of dlna and mp3 at launch is a dev issue and not a business one. It's not related to paid services.

Which makes absolutely zero sense, especially since Music Unlimited is supported day 1 and a DLNA client is functionally just another HTTP web service consumer like every other net based client app on the box (PSN store, Music Unlimited, Netflix, Crunchy Roll, Hulu, etc.) They also have existing code sitting around that handles the client end of DLNA from the PS3 (and presumably other of their product lines like Smart TVs and such). Obviously there is work involved in porting but it's not like they have never heard of "MP3" or "DLNA" before.

At no point yet have they stated "not at launch but later" (suggesting a dev resource issue), it has been a firm "no, not supported" (which suggests business decision).

Cheers

DLNA has its quirks. Otherwise, we wouldn't need a server version dedicated to PS3 for best results. All we need is some corporate position if DLNA (or equivalent) will come back later. ^_^

I believe there are newer specs for DLNA. Jeff_rigsby would have more details.

"He said Sony would add other entertainment apps, “But that’s after we establish the platform as a video game platform. We want to make sure that we are there for the gamers with our PS4 as well. They will go beyond this, but they’ll definitely start with gamer first."

Which is a vague statement that could mean anything (live sports, Netflix competitor, etc.) as opposed to clear statements from the FAQ:

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?

No.

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?

No, this feature is not supported on PS4.

Vague versus unambiguous.

I got my DS4 ! Don't know what to do with it yet.

So I ended up hooking the DS4 to my PS3 with a micro-USB cable. It's perfect for my office setup. Works really well !

Lent my Windows laptop to someone else. Will test when it's back.

Don't know where to start for DS4 vs Mac interoperability yet. ^_^

I also got KZSF and the new PSEye now. The PSEye is *tiny* !
Well... Not tiny but unexpectedly very slim and short, like miniaturized. Cute.

EDIT: Regarding the LED light on DS4... it's angled downwards. Glows but doesn't shine like a flashlight. You'll see it if the screen is not turned on (or completely dark). Should be pretty unnoticeable during gameplay.

He replies 'not true' ... but that's not a terribly convincing argument. One of his weaker replies so far.

He's saying the current situation is not designed to funnel people to Music Unlimited subscription.

I wouldn't mind if they add local and/or DLNA music playback to MU itself. ;-)
In fact, MU can already play music from local storage because of its offline playback feature. All they need to do is to skip DRM check.

I find it a little awkward to have 2 separate music players (MU and simple player) on Vita for background playback. The pop-up system control panel works for the simple player, but not for MU. Combining them would make sense from user's point of view, but they need to be careful about run-time resource usage.

Seriously, if they haven't done any DLNA coding on PS4, please consider remote drive support instead~ :runaway:

This is the relevant section, and I can't see what else it could mean other than external HDDs cannot be used.
There's an explicit qualifier:
Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?
No, this feature is not supported on PS4.
An external HDD cannot be used to expand storage. Whether it can be used for other purposes (transfer of files), we don't know. Copying a save file across is a different function to expanding storage.

I can't link it from here.

He was referring to this
JWBbdjt.png

I believe the no external disk expansion is because the South Bridge has a limited number of distinct USB hubs and they are all allocated to functions.
An external disk would have to share the bandwidth with other devices on the bus which could make minimum performance guarantees difficult to make, which complicates the test matrix. This wouldn't preclude things like using it for media storage/streaming, though I have no idea what's actually supported in this regard.

There's an explicit qualifier:
An external HDD cannot be used to expand storage. Whether it can be used for other purposes (transfer of files), we don't know. Copying a save file across is a different function to expanding storage.

Isn't transferring files to another device storage? That seems like an odd semantic distinction to me.

Isn't transferring files to another device storage? That seems like an odd semantic distinction to me.
No, it's a transfer. If I want to get files from my PC to another one, I put the files on a thumbstick to facilitate that. The files are stored on the PC, copied from the thumbstick. The thumbstick is not accessed as the source of the files on either PC.

Same with a save game. If I have a FIFA career in progress on one console and want to put it on another console, I need a way to do that. Presently, USB drives facilitate this as the go-between. The console doesn't access the USB drive as a storage device with the game save on it as the save game has to be copied to PS3.

PS4 could support the same without contradicting the FAQ. I guess it might not if Sony are going with the brave,. new internet world, and everything's sync'd on the cloud, although that will necessitate good internet access. I'll be somewhat peeved if I go round my friend's house to play FIFA and his internet is down again and we can't sync the save game. At the moment the career lives on a microSD card kept in the game disk case, exported at the end of every play no matter which console we play on (of three).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back