News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FAQ is clear that you won't be able to save any games on USB device, but sin't clear about whether USB devices are supported in any form (from a quick glance. Haven't read it all the way through).

Actually it says you can use a USB drive to update the firmware so they are definately supported at some level.

Will I be able to install system software update 1.50 via a USB drive?

Yes, you will be able to download the firmware to your PC and transfer it to PS4 using a USB memory stick.

All this only applies to launch though doesn't it? All the 'missing' features could easily make a return later in the cycle. Just like they did with the PS3? After all the PS3 was like a barren wasteland at launch.

Actually it says you can use a USB drive to update the firmware so they are definately supported at some level.

The FAQ suggests that you can only mount a USB drive in "safe mode" to install an OS update. My reading is that under normal usage, the USB ports are strictly for charging controllers and similar accessory type usage cases and that there will be no external drive support period.

Cheers

Just post another question to Shuhei. :)

I'm sure he'll get back to us.

according to the ultimate ps4 faq no 4k support at the moment
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/

http://ps4daily.com/2013/10/playstation-4-might-support-4k-tv-after-all/

We’ve previously heard rumors that the PlayStation 4 might support 4K Ultra HD TVs, and Sony didn’t actually deny those rumors. Apparently, that’s their official position, as Sony’s Andrew House said that the company “hasn’t ruled out the possibility of 4K television” on the PlayStation 4, and added that it all depends on broadcasters and whether they will start streaming 4K soon.

All this only applies to launch though doesn't it? All the 'missing' features could easily make a return later in the cycle. Just like they did with the PS3?

Unless there is a major policy change due to a wave of consumer anger I think it is as likely as flowers and Unicorns flying out of Sony exec's orifices. This is a calculated decision by Sony to try to force adoption of their media services.

Cheers

aQ6Rn2E.png

Remember the last times Shu said they were thankful, and/or happy, and/or humbled, and/or appreciative about feedback, either from fanbase or devs ?
online DRM - check
Used games - check
Youtube - check
HDCP - check
DLNA - TBD
local MP3 - TBD
Media on external drive - TBD

I'll wait a while before assuming anything, but Sony's consistency is flawless right now.
They already said months ago that media features wouldn't be ready at launch. And also said they were working on them.

Hey Shuhei, if PS4 has no DLNA and no external drive support, then I would push for network drive support.

It's more versatile than both of the above mechanisms. ;-)

The FAQ suggests that you can only mount a USB drive in "safe mode" to install an OS update. My reading is that under normal usage, the USB ports are strictly for charging controllers and similar accessory type usage cases and that there will be no external drive support period.
I assume they'll still support MTP protocol so people can attach their cameras etc. to the PS4, like they can PS3. Then again, maybe Sony metrics shows no-one uses their PlayMemories app and are giving up? There are so many different combinations of solutions out there, perhaps logistics are that people really don't care for a console media device?? :???:

PS3 owners are used to their console being able to do more than "just" games. On my PS3 i have a bunch of vacation pictures, some video, music etc. And i used to stream videos via PS3 Media server. It did alot more than just play games and blurays :)

Because PS3 is quite limited in its playback capability, I built PC for my multimedia needs earlier this year with Intel i3 and Gigabyte motherboard with two HDMI outputs and I plan to use PS4 only for games and blu-ray movies, nothing else.

I have to say I am actually pretty disappointed with this latest round of news. When I do actual impact assessment, it will be minor. While I use the PS3 as the hub of my entertainment center - I generally spend most of my time with movies I own, Amazon Prime, and Netflix.

However, I do occasionally use PlayOn to stream music and/or movies. That will be going away without DLNA. I probably won't notice, but I liked the option. I have never used an external hard drive with my PS3 - but I was starting to consider it with PS Plus. I tend to download a lot more games since I got it.

Like I said, none of these things are deal breakers for me, but I dislike them. Timing is interesting here. Had I known about these and XBox Live's extended free game service before I decided to pre-order a PS4 over an XBox One for the holiday season (I'll still probably get an XBox One after the first of the year), I may have chosen the XBox One. But now that I'm excited for the PS4, none of these really change my mind. While it is a bit of negative publicity right before launch, I would say this is actually well timed for Sony rather than poorly timed. Most pre-orders won't cancel over these things, and these may have played into decisions when people were getting ready to pre-order.

They don't talk about what file types though. Will you be able to use a USB drive to transfer savegame files over (something we use playing FIFA)? What about plugging in an HDD full of home movies? The FAQ is clear that you won't be able to save any games on USB device, but sin't clear about whether USB devices are supported in any form (from a quick glance. Haven't read it all the way through).

This is the relevant section, and I can't see what else it could mean other than external HDDs cannot be used.

Will users be able to replace PS4’s stock 500GB hard drive? What hard drive sizes are supported?
PS4 owners will be able to replace PS4’s standard hard drive. PS4’s hard drive is used to store downloaded game and video content, game save files, gameplay movies and images, and more.

What type of hard drive does PS4 use?
PS4 is equipped with a 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive. Users can choose to install a new hard drive so long as it complies with these standards, is no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?
No, this feature is not supported on PS4.

For now I think we can assume a similar situation as PS3. You can't play or save games to external drives, but you can still read files from them and make backups and such. The safe mode for installing firmware is a security precaution, party intended no doubt to overcome the PS3 security leak that was discovered a few years ago (and since patched).

Ya, that has to be in regards to installing games to an external HDD. If it didn't support external drives at all, how would you backup your PS4.

Sony is one of the leaders in pushing 4K technology. Right now it's a very niche market. I would bet money that Sony will include 4K scaling support when people actually have 4K displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back